Why Are New Members Disappearing from PF?

• Thread starter tionis
  • Start date
In summary, there have been concerns about the recent increase in new members being banned for unknown reasons, with some speculating that it may be due to past banned members trying to rejoin or the actions of socks or hackers. However, the PF rules state that disciplinary action can be taken by admins or mentors, and infractions leading to bans are often deleted so the reason may not be apparent. Additionally, an error in units has resulted in the massless inextensible strings used for rappelling to be 1/10th of their intended length, making for an interesting image of elite scientists descending to detain a member who "knows too much."
tionis
Gold Member
I've noticed that many new members are being banned for no apparent reason. One day they are posting and the next time I see them there is a slash across their username. Could some one please explain what is going on here? Are these past banned member trying to get back in? Socks? Hackers? I mean, I've read some of their posts and nothing seem controversial or anything. Just yesterday, one of these ''disappeared'' characters replied to one of my posts and today he's gone. Sorry for asking an uncomfortable question :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
tionis said:
I've noticed that many new members are being banned for no apparent reason

A. The Mentors don't have to justify their decisions to you.
B. Messages that violate PF Rules are routinely moved out of view. Of course you don't see what causes the ban.

Likes Evo and tionis
tionis said:
I've noticed that many new members are being banned for no apparent reason. One day they are posting and the next time I see them there is a slash across their username. Could some one please explain what is going on here? Are these past banned member trying to get back in? Socks? Hackers? I mean, I've read some of their posts and nothing seem controversial or anything. Just yesterday, one of these ''disappeared'' characters replied to one of my posts and today he's gone. Sorry for asking an uncomfortable question :redface:
You're not the only one asking that question. There are other recent threads on the subject. I'll try to summarize the situation.

First, in the rules you will find
Rules said:
Disciplinary Action:
A member may be issued either a notice or an infraction if deemed warranted by an admin or mentor (usually from guideline noncompliance). Infractions range from 1 to 10 "points", depending on the severity of the violation; notices carry no points. If a member accrues 8 or more infraction points, he or she will be automatically banned from Physics Forums for a period of 10 days. If a member receives any infraction after having returned from a temporary ban, that member will then be banned permanently. Obvious, incorrigible spamming or trouble making will be met with a permanent ban.
So it is possible that someone will come back at a later time.

Also, as @Vanadium 50 posted while I was writing this, the content leading to infractions is most often deleted, so one can't know why a certain member has been banned.

Last edited:
Likes tionis
DrClaude said:
content leading to infractions is most often deleted, so it [insert]that[/insert] one can't know why a certain memeber has been banned.

Likes tionis
tionis said:
many new members

Really that many? Sure, it happens now and then, but I don't feel like there is a surge of bans.

Likes Evo and tionis
@Bystander: need a badge?
grammar.jpg

By the way, you missed my misspelling of member :-p

Likes Evo, Drakkith, tionis and 1 other person
DrClaude said:
missed my misspelling of member
Didn't miss it --- figured you'd been chastised enough.:angel:

Likes tionis and titatos
Greg Bernhardt said:
If I go missing know it is aliens!
:DD

Greg Bernhardt said:
Or black helicopters...

Likes tionis, Evo and Ibix
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm not saying it was aliens... but it was aliens.

:DD

Likes tionis and Evo
jtbell said:
Or black helicopters...
I thought Greg controlled the PF black helicopter fleet. :confused:

Likes tionis and Evo
Ibix said:
I thought Greg controlled the PF black helicopter fleet. :confused:
*brings collar mic to mouth* "@Ibix knows too much, bring him in, over"

Likes tionis, DennisN, Evo and 1 other person
Greg Bernhardt said:
*brings collar mic to mouth* "@Ibix knows too much, bring him in, over"
I can see it now - an army of elite scientists in flak jackets with PHD stencilled on the back, rappelling down massless inextensible strings...

Likes tionis, DrClaude, DennisN and 2 others
Ibix said:
I can see it now - an army of elite scientists in flak jackets with PHD stencilled on the back, rappelling down massless inextensible strings...

Unfortunately an undergrad made a mistake and used the wrong units, so the "ropes" are 1/10th as long as they should be.

Likes tionis, CalcNerd, Evo and 1 other person
Drakkith said:
the "ropes" are 1/10th as long as they should be.
Better than the order of magnitude in the other direction.:H

Likes tionis and Drakkith
Drakkith said:
Unfortunately an undergrad made a mistake and used the wrong units, so the "ropes" are 1/10th as long as they should be.
You can probably work around that, as long as they didn't end up frictionless as well.

Last edited:
Likes tionis

1. What is PF Mystery Disappearances?

PF Mystery Disappearances is a phenomenon in which individuals or groups go missing without any explanation. The term "PF" stands for "paranormal or supernatural forces", as these disappearances often have no logical or scientific explanation.

2. How common are these disappearances?

PF Mystery Disappearances are relatively rare and occur sporadically around the world. While there is no official data on the frequency of these disappearances, there have been numerous documented cases throughout history.

3. What are some possible explanations for these disappearances?

There are many theories surrounding PF Mystery Disappearances, including alien abductions, supernatural forces, and even government conspiracies. However, there is no concrete evidence to support any of these theories.

4. Can science explain these disappearances?

Currently, there is no scientific explanation for PF Mystery Disappearances. These cases often defy logic and rationality, making it difficult for scientists to study and understand them.

5. Is there a way to prevent these disappearances from happening?

As there is no clear cause for these disappearances, there is no known way to prevent them. However, it is always important to take necessary precautions and stay safe when exploring unknown or potentially dangerous areas.