Why are some threads marked "not open for further replies"?

• Thread starter Cliff Hanley
  • Start date
In summary, some threads on the forum are closed due to violation of rules or for the purpose of moderation. Mentors have the ability to open and close threads, and can also post in closed threads, but this rarely happens. Additionally, all threads older than 2011 or 2012 are closed in order to prevent "necroposting" where people revive old threads that may no longer have active participants.
Cliff Hanley
And why are there some threads that are still open for further replies but not to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some threads are closed because they violate the forum rules or further discussion would be pointless.
Cliff Hanley said:
And why are there some threads that are still open for further replies but not to me?
Do you have an example?
Mentors can open and close threads and they can also post in closed threads, but that rarely happens, mainly for moderation purposes.

Likes Cliff Hanley
Also, all threads older than about 2011 or 2012 are closed, to prevent people from "necroposting" in old threads whose participants may not even be here any more.

Likes Cliff Hanley
mfb said:
Some threads are closed because they violate the forum rules or further discussion would be pointless.
Do you have an example?
Mentors can open and close threads and they can also post in closed threads, but that rarely happens, mainly for moderation purposes.
Thanks. There was an example or two in amongst the threads on probability but save going back through them all I can't cite one here.

jtbell said:
Also, all threads older than about 2011 or 2012 are closed, to prevent people from "necroposting" in old threads whose participants may not even be here any more.
Thanks. 'Necroposting' made me laugh.

1. Why are some threads marked "not open for further replies"?

Some threads are marked "not open for further replies" because the original poster or forum moderator has closed the thread to prevent any additional comments or responses.

2. Can I still view a thread that is marked "not open for further replies"?

Yes, you can still view the thread even if it is marked "not open for further replies." The thread will remain visible on the forum, but you will not be able to add any new comments or replies to it.

3. What reasons might a thread be marked "not open for further replies"?

A thread may be marked "not open for further replies" for various reasons. It could be because the discussion has become irrelevant or outdated, the thread has devolved into inappropriate or offensive comments, or the original question has been sufficiently answered.

4. How do I know if a thread is marked "not open for further replies" before clicking on it?

The thread will typically have a label or message indicating that it is closed or not open for further replies. This may appear next to the thread title or at the top of the thread itself.

5. Can a thread be reopened after it has been marked "not open for further replies"?

It is possible for a thread to be reopened after it has been marked "not open for further replies," but this decision ultimately depends on the forum moderator or administrator. If there is a valid reason for reopening the thread, you can contact them and request for it to be reopened.