1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why are we not seeing more variable-pitch quadcopters?

1. Mar 19, 2015 #1
    Been doing some research on propeller-pitch. And it seems that a variable-pitch-propeller seems superior, with a constant-speed-propeller(adjusting pitch for constant RPM) seems the most efficient of all.

A quadcopter with a low RPM will generally spend less energy on air-drag so we have more efficiency. The problem is once you accelerate the RPM increases and efficiency is lost due to airdrag, similar to a car in a low gear driving fast, causing a too high RPM of the engine itself, which wastes energy.

I've seen a few variable pitch-quads, most seem to be in the development stage, there are even petrolium variable-quads being researched.

My question is, are there(other than added weight) some big mechanical drawbacks to having a variable-pitch propellers over a conventional propeller?

Also will all the professional high-speed quads be using variable-pitch like helicopters in the future?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2015 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Cost and complexity.

4. Mar 22, 2015 #3
    Already got answers on another forum, cost and complexity is an extra factor but this one seemed convincing:

the big issue is slow response time to change, The ESC can change at 400Hz, and go from 0 to 100% in close to the same time,I dont see a mechanical system or servo system getting close to 20Hz and staying in one piece long enough to fly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook