Making Science Friends: What Brings You Here?

• Thread starter ScienceGurl
  • Start date
In summary: I could be totally off-base here.Who knows? I just wanted to say hi and see if any of you knew where my car keys were.In summary, this person is here looking for their car keys.
ScienceGurl
Why are you here?

Helloo! So I was wondering, since I'm new here, are all of you guys on here because you are studying some sort of science at college or is it because you really like science (just like me) or...? :) I'd like to make friends who really like Science just as much as me. :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm here because I'm looking for my car keys. Has anyone seen it?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'm here because I'm looking for my car keys. Has anyone seen it?

Zz.

No, you lost it while you were running around with Minnie. Don't you remember? :tongue2:

I'm here for recipes and cool Disney stuff.

Welcome to the forum ScienceGurl, you seem really excited about science, you've stumbled upon the best internet site for science help IMHO.

1) I like science
2) People here are cool
3) I normally have nothing better to do in my free time.

We here, at area 51, don't acknowledge the existence of Area 51, and, since I can't be somewhere that doesn't exist, I am at PF.

1) I come here to get help with my math and physics
2) I come here to help others with their math and physics
3) I come here to hang out with other people who like math and physics
4) I come here to get information of pepper gardening and cooking with peppers
5) I come here because I have nothing better to do

PF stands for "Pulp Fiction"

Oh, sorry, I was looking for the men's room.

waht said:
PF stands for "Pulp Fiction"

and Pink Floyd. :smile:

PF French Polynesia (ISO country code, top level domain)
PF Pacific Fighters (computer game)
PF Packet Filter
PF Pagan Federation
PF Page File
PF Paged File
PF Palestinian Airlines (IATA airline code)
PF Panzerfaust (computer gaming)
PF Paracel Islands
PF Parachute Flare
PF Parapsychology Foundation
PF Parity Flag
PF Partial Fail (Nortel)
PF Partially Fertile
PF Particle Filter
PF Partition Factor
PF Pass/Fail (grade)
PF Passive Flow
PF Patellofemoral
PF Patriotic Front (Zambia)
PF Patrol Frigate
PF Paul Fleming (PF Chang's restaurant)
PF Peanut Flour
PF Peer Facilitator
PF Penetration Factor
PF Pepperidge Farms
PF Performance Factor
PF Personal File
PF Personal Fitness
PF Personal Foul (basketball)
PF Peter Fonda (actor)
PF Pfennig
PF Pharmacopeia Forum
PF Phat Farm (clothing brand)
PF Phat Farms (clothing brand)
PF Phenol/Formaldehyde
PF Philadelphia Flyers (NHL)
PF Philatelic Foundation of New York
PF Picofarad
PF Pigeon Forge (Tennessee)
PF Pilot Flying
PF Pink Floyd (band)
PF Pioneer and Fayette Failroad Company
PF Pipes and Flowers (Elisa Italian music album)
PF Pixel Frequency
PF Plain Face (construction)
PF Plain Flooding
PF Planet Fortress (Team Fortress news site)
PF Planned Facility
PF Planning Factor
PF Points For
PF Polar Front
PF Polícia Federal (Brazil; Federal Police Force)
PF Policía Fronteriza (México, border patrol)
PF POLYCENTER Framework (Digital Equipment Corporation)
PF Polymer Filtration
PF Portal Frame (structural engineering)
PF Position Fixing
PF Postfach (German: PO Box)
PF Postfinance
PF Posture Foundation (PF Flyer shoes)
PF Potency Factor
PF Pour Feliciter (French: to extend congratulations)
PF Power Factor
PF Power Failure
PF Power Feed
PF Power Forward (basketball)
PF Prairie Flowers (workshop)
PF Prato Feito (Brazil; fast food)
PF Pre Flight
PF Prefetch
PF Preguntas Frecuentes (Spanish: Frequently Asked Questions)
PF Presence Function
PF Presentation Function
PF Prevention First (violence/substance abuse prevention agency)
PF Primary Feeder
PF Privacy Forum
PF Privacy Foundation
PF Pro Forma
PF Probability of Failure
Pf Probability of False Alarm
PF Problem Formulation
PF Procurator Fiscal
PF Production Factor
PF Program Files
PF Programmable Function(s)
PF Project Finance
PF Project Forecast
PF Proof
PF Proposed Finding
PF Prostatitis Foundation
PF Protection Factor
PF Protective Force
PF Proto Flight
PF Protoflight
PF Providend Funds
PF Public Facilities
PF Public Finance
PF Public Forum
PF Pucker Factor
PF Pulp Fiction (film by Quentin Tarantino)
PF Pulse Frequency (Sprint)
PF Pulverized Fuel
PF Purple Fringing

Greg Bernhardt said:
PF Penetration Factor

My favorite.

zoobyshoe said:
My favorite.

yup, that is going someone in the next logo for PF lol

"PF Pucker Factor" ?----(what?!)

I'm helping ZapperZ look for his keys. Poor bloke has been looked out of his house for nearly 4 years :-(

This is one of the few places on the internet where incompetence, crackpottery, and txt mssging are not tolerated. lol!

Even in this sometimes silly GD forum, we have high standards for discourse. Hence, the commonly recurring theme of "key penetration factor."

Chi Meson said:
lol!

Even in this sometimes silly GD forum, we have high standards for discourse. Hence, the commonly recurring theme of "key penetration factor."

Hehe you guys are funny. :biggrin:

Some of us are scientists by profession, and think it's a good idea to help out kids who are starting out learning science so that we'll have someone able to take over our attempts at world domination...erm...I mean bettering understanding of the world/universe we live in for the good of humanity ...when we are ready to retire. :biggrin:

Then again, sometimes we just like to joke about terms like "penetration factor." :rofl:

I've no idea why I'm here. I like to think I'm able to help but more often than not I hinder :smile:

Chi Meson said:
lol!

BUSTED!I'm here because I enjoy science and this is the best place to get help when I'm stuck and don't understand something or want a more detailed explanation. And also because it's generally hard to find people who can carry a rational conversation/debate.

Last edited:
moe darklight said:
And also because it's generally hard to find people who can carry a rational conversation/debate.

You mean here?

no, I meant elsewhere... I guess I could've worded my comment better :rofl: .

PF = good

99% of internet forums = crazy angry people

Last edited:
And also because it's generally hard to find people who can carry a rational conversation/debate.

This thread defies any defintion of rational, except that the thread can divided and still be just as meaningless as we've already made it.

SG - I'm here by accident. I googled by one day and saw that somebody had actually answered a real math question correctly. Kept coming back.

Ez. I'm l%kin 4 a Science Grl 2 rock my wrld.

Oh good move 3rice -

we really need [tex]l_{33}t sp_{33}k[/tex] posts to brighten things up. humph. Hell, I have enough problems reading English. Writing it, too.

I used to read and post cosmology-related questions on Cornell University's Ask An Astronomer website. I think one of the posts there led me to his forum. I liked what I read so I stayed. Also, one of the previous couple of years was Physics Year or Einstein's year, so I resolved to learn more about Einstein and theories of relativity, and this forum was a good place for that.

I was on my way to Messier 74 (M74, NGC 628 - http://seds.org/messier/m/m074.html ) to see the remanants of two SN's, 2002ap and 2003gd, and I miscalculated the PF of the transdimensional hyperspatial contratemporal vortex generator. Geez - I hate it when I do that. Never know where or when I'll pop up. I've got to get a tardis.

http://www.seds.org/messier/more/m074_sn2002ap.html

http://www.seds.org/messier/more/m074_sn2003gd.html

Meanwhile the recipes are worthwhile investigating and don't forget to try the hot sauces and relishes.

Welcome to PF, btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about PF Peach Fuzz?

I am here to annoy Russ Waters(kidding) I am here to learn new things and I try not to answer questions that I do not know every detail of.

Greg forgot one - PF Parasynchrenetic Fyxzotranquintwilateralvolvixamyositosis

How many points do I get for using u, v, w, x, y, z and q, as well as a, e, i, o, u in one word?

Oh - an update on the THCVG. I think it was the index of infinitesimal improbability matrices. Basically, PF was the most unlikely and improbable place that I would turn up, so natural the way things work in this universe, or at least in the part of the universe, this is where I turned up.

Also, did you bring a towel. If not, one will be provided, along with a complimentary guide.

I have a slightly used tardis for sale. I like it here.

I'm here mainly to soak up all the 2nd-hand information from the first-rate people that post here. When I find something in my textbook that I don't understand, I search google and end up comming here.

I especially enjoy reading Zapper'z posts. He is like the Chuck Norris of physicists...

There is no theory of everything, just a list of phenomenon that Zapper allows to emerge :)

James Cameron did not offer Zapper the role of Terminator, and instead opted for Arnold Schwarenegger, because he did not want it to be a docu-drama.

Blackholes don't form due to gravitational collapse. They form when Zapper crushes crackpots with his sheer will. :)

Last edited:
I came for one reason (looking for gaps or areas that I may have 'missed' for a paper I'm writing), and, found that by reading posts that re-occur in some way or another, that I should go more in depth on some that I had just briefly touched on. I did find some, too.

I realized that, after being here a while, that another aspect of the paper is missing.

RetardedBastard said:
I'm here mainly to soak up all the 2nd-hand information from the first-rate people that post here. When I find something in my textbook that I don't understand, I search google and end up comming here.

I especially enjoy reading Zapper'z posts. He is like the Chuck Norris of physicists...

There is no theory of everything, just a list of phenomenon that Zapper allows to emerge :)

James Cameron did not offer Zapper the role of Terminator, and instead opted for Arnold Schwarenegger, because he did not want it to be a docu-drama.

Blackholes don't form due to gravitational collapse. They form when Zapper crushes crackpots with his sheer will. :)

Er.. the Chuck Norris of physicist? I'm not sure how to take that. Should I start selling an exercise equipment on infomercials as well? :)

Zz.

You mean you're not getting paid for the "Ab Zapper"?