Why Do They Call Unsolicited Emails SPAM?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, the term "SPAM" for unsolicited emails originated from a Monty Python sketch. The Python programming language is also named after the comedy group. Some people have jokingly given alternative meanings to the acronym, such as "Sorry people's automated mailing" and "Synthetically Produced Artificial Meat", but the true origin is "Shoulder of Pork and hAM".
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just found out why they call the unsolicited emails SPAM, I wonder if anyone else knows why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because it is crappy, looks like meat but isn't?

It's named after a Monty Python sketch.

Originally posted by Janus
It's named after a Monty Python sketch.
Yup! That's what I heard

Remember that really annoying song that that snake (?) is singing over and over again? SPAM SPAM SPAM I thought it was kinda funny that they actually got the name from there :)

The Python programming language is also named after Monty Python.

I always thought it stood for:

Sorry people's automated mailing

but that's interesting.

Edit: Figured Sorry would work better then my original thought, for this forum that is.

Originally posted by megashawn
I always thought it stood for:

Sorry people's automated mailing

but that's interesting.

Edit: Figured Sorry would work better then my original thought, for this forum that is.

Well I've always said for the Food product, SPAM stood for:

Synthetically Produced Artificial Meat.

(Actually, SPAM stands for Shoulder of Pork and hAM)

1. Why do they call unsolicited emails SPAM?

The term "SPAM" for unsolicited emails originated from a 1970 Monty Python sketch where a group of Vikings repeatedly sang the word "SPAM" to the annoyance of other characters. This was later used as a metaphor for the annoyance of receiving unwanted emails in large quantities.

2. How did unsolicited emails become known as SPAM?

As the popularity of the internet grew in the 1990s, the term "SPAM" was adopted by early internet users to describe the influx of unwanted emails that filled their inboxes. This was also influenced by the widespread use of the word "SPAM" as a brand name for canned meat, which was often seen as a low-quality, unwanted product.

3. Why is the term SPAM used specifically for unsolicited emails?

The term "SPAM" is used for unsolicited emails because it accurately describes the nature of these emails - they are unwanted, low-quality, and often sent in large quantities. It is also a catchy and easily recognizable term that has become synonymous with unsolicited emails.

4. Is there a difference between SPAM and legitimate marketing emails?

Yes, there is a difference between SPAM and legitimate marketing emails. SPAM emails are sent without the recipient's consent and often contain malicious links or attachments. Legitimate marketing emails, on the other hand, are sent to individuals who have opted in to receive them and usually contain valuable information or offers.

5. How can I avoid receiving SPAM emails?

To avoid receiving SPAM emails, you can take the following precautions:

• Do not open emails from unknown senders or suspicious email addresses.
  • Do not click on links or attachments in unsolicited emails.
  • Use spam filters in your email client to automatically block or redirect SPAM emails.
  • Do not reply to SPAM emails or provide any personal information.
  • Be cautious when sharing your email address online and only provide it to trusted sources.