Why can we only measure energy (enthelpy) change?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of measuring absolute energy and the difficulty in doing so. It is mentioned that energy can only be measured relatively and that there is no way to define the absolute energy of a system. The example of a moving car is used to illustrate this point. The conversation also touches on potential energy and its relationship to measuring energy differences. It is noted that in chemistry, only enthalpy changes can be measured using a calorimeter. The conversation concludes with the question of whether knowing the answer to the question about absolute energy would change the analysis of a practical thermodynamics problem.
fog37
Hello,
I asked this similar questions on a different thread but it may be more appropriate for the chemistry forum.

What is the reason we can only measure energy "changes" and not the actual energy value associated with a system? Absolute energies and enthalpy cannot be determined but I am not sure why...

I guess we can still say that a system has more or less energy than another system but we cannot know the actual energies of each system, only their difference...

However, when a car moves at a certain speed, we can certainly express the car's kinetic energy without a problem...

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
I guess we can still say that a system has more or less energy than another system but we cannot know the actual energies of each system, only their difference...

Yes, that's the essence of the problem. We can measure the energy difference between different states, but there's not really a way to define the absolute energy of the system.

However, when a car moves at a certain speed, we can certainly express the car's kinetic energy without a problem...

Are you sure? It makes sense for a car at rest on the side of the road to have a kinetic energy of zero, but is it really motionless, say, relative to the sun?

This is probably a dumb question, but isn't the absolute energy of a mass given by Einstein's equation?

Likes jim hardy
I guess the difficulty of measuring absolute energy versus relative energies applies most to potential energy, which is defined by integrating across a conservative force field: $$U(x) =\text{ } –\int_{x_o}^x F(x) \, dx$$
which requires arbitrary definition of some reference position from which to calculate energy differences.

Likes Chestermiller
Thanks. I am still confused. I see how kinetic energy ##KE## and potential energy ##PE## are relative quantities.

Does that means we can measure the total energy of a system but that value is frame dependent? For instance, if we said that something has zero energy, it would mean ##KE+PE=0##...

I see how potential energy is about differences: we don't know the initial and final potential energies but we know their difference...

In chemistry, only enthalpy changes are measurable. A calorimeter is the instrument used. I guess, experimentally, the only possible result happens to be the energy difference and the minuend and the subtrahend are unknown...

Would knowing the answer to this question in any way change the way that you would analyze a practical thermodynamics problem? If the answer is no, why even bother worrying about it? I think that your time is much more valuable than that.

fog37 said:
Does that means we can measure the total energy of a system but that value is frame dependent?
I would say yes... it’s been mentioned already that energy can only be measured relatively, whether it be potential or kinetic, therefore there shouldn’t be a way to measure an absolute energy. It can only be measured per whatever frame you measure it within.

Chestermiller said:
This is probably a dumb question, but isn't the absolute energy of a mass given by Einstein's equation?

The unknown amount of internal energy comes from classical mechanics. In relativity we can indeed use m·c² as a measure of the internal energy if we define U(m=0):=0 but the practical use is limited.

1. Why is energy change important to measure?

Energy change is important to measure because it allows us to understand how energy is transformed and transferred in a system. This is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics and chemistry, as it helps us predict and control the behavior of matter and its interactions with the environment.

2. What is the relationship between energy and enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system, including both its internal energy and the work it can do. Therefore, energy change and enthalpy change are closely related, as they both describe the amount of energy that is gained or lost by a system.

3. Why can't we measure absolute energy?

Absolute energy, or the total energy of a system, cannot be measured because it is a relative quantity. This means that the amount of energy in a system depends on its reference point or frame of reference. However, we can measure the change in energy, which is a more useful and meaningful quantity.

4. How do we measure energy change in a system?

Energy change can be measured through various methods, depending on the type of system being studied. In general, we can measure energy change by measuring the temperature change, changes in pressure or volume, or changes in the motion or position of objects within the system. These measurements can then be used to calculate the change in energy using appropriate equations.

5. Can energy change be negative?

Yes, energy change can be negative. This occurs when a system loses energy, either by transferring it to its surroundings or by converting it into a different form of energy. For example, when an object falls from a height, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in a negative change in energy.