Why can you blow glass and not other materials?

In summary, the ability for glass to be formed by blowing is due to its relatively low melting point and the ductility of the molten material. This is different from other materials such as wax, steel, ceramics, and wood, which do not have this ability. The low melting point and viscosity of glass also allow for its surface tension and thermal conductivity, making it ideal for blowing. The use of lung pressure to blow glass is limited to materials with similar properties, such as plastics and some metals. Glass is also unique in its transparency, hardness, and chemical stability, making it the preferred material for blowing. There are also other materials, such as a special metal, that can be blown at low temperatures and pressures, but they require mechanical
waltl
Hi. Often, when I am a tour guide at the Museum of Glass, Tacoma,WA. glassblowing shop. I get a question for which I don't have a definitive answer. I thought someone might know
What is special about glass that enables it to be formed by blowing? Which forces are the major factors in holding the bubble together and allows it to be deformed in an inelastically.
How is it different from other materials wax, steel, ceramics, wood, etc which do not have this ability? with respect to the blowing phenomena.

Engineering news on Phys.org
u can blow glass when it is in the molten state ..it is light and relatively less dense.
Remember that glass is a super cooled liquid.

Just shooting from the hip here, but I would guess it has to do with the relatively low melting point of glass combined with the ductility of the molten material.

I guess you could, in theory, blow a metal, but they're probably too hot to get close enough to, along with probably too dense to be able to do much with human lungs.

Again, I'm not any sort of expert in the matter - just brainstorming.

what i meant to say was that when it is in the sort of molten state ..it is like a deformable plastic and yet dense enough to hold the air blown inside.The air bubble does not diffuse into the material.
I heard this explanation on national geographic during one of the programs they covered regarding Ireland history and their glass factories.

i'm no expert either but confident of the statement as i got to observe an expert.

Anything you see that can be injection molded can basically be blown just like molten glass; especially if it has a viscosity similar to glass. That pretty much limits it to glass, plastics, some ceramics, and some metals. And really only glass or plastics are formable under lung pressure alone.

The glass is not molten when it is being blown (molten refers to the formation of a liquid, liquids cannot hold shape). It is still a solid, just in what's called a supercooled state. The liquid's atomic structure is locked in place within the solid from when it was originally taken from the molten state and cast/extruded to shape, but the temperature of glassblowing is not sufficient to allow for atomic rearrangement into the equilibrium solid crystal structure (devitrification).

Silica-based glasses are covalent network oxides, and as such they have low solubility for molecular oxygen as compared to other ceramic oxides which have ionic bonding that can readily incorporate oxygen as O(2-) in its crystal structure. This is why you can perform glassblowing with air.

In theory, you can plastically deform lots of materials using applied inert gas pressures, but the temperatures and pressure needed wouldn't make it practical in most cases.

I would say it is a (coincidental) combination of viscosity and surface tension, that just happen to have correct values in the temperatures that are easy to achieve.

Coincidental in the sense that it just happens this particular material has them, for sure it can be explained in terms of physicochemical properties of the compounds present, there are probably other materials with similar properties (although I think we would classify them as glass as well, just because they would behave in a similar way).

Or, to put it differently - of many materials that we can test, this one has a correct combination of viscosity and surface tension at elevated temperatures, so it was selected for blowing thousands years ago.

Another factor that makes glass blowing possible, the low thermal conductivity, which is important so you can selectively melt parts of the glassware. Finally glass has amazing properties: it is transparent, very hard and chemically extremely stable, making it preferable over other materials that might work -- like tar.

I think it is the transition temperature which matters, Transition temperature is the the temperature at which glass is in semi solid state as what is seen in some polymers. Metals do not have transition temperature because they have a definite melting point.

1. Why can glass be blown into different shapes?

Glass is a unique material that has a low melting point and can be softened and manipulated when heated. This allows it to be blown into various shapes and forms. Other materials such as metals or plastics have higher melting points and are not as easily manipulated when heated.

2. Can any type of glass be blown?

No, not all types of glass can be blown. Only certain types of glass, such as soda-lime glass, borosilicate glass, and quartz glass, have the necessary properties to be blown into different shapes. These types of glass have a low viscosity and can easily be softened and molded when heated.

3. How is glass blown?

Glass blowing involves heating a glass tube or rod in a furnace until it reaches a molten state. The molten glass is then gathered onto the end of a blowpipe and shaped by blowing air into it while it is still hot and malleable. The glassblower can then use various tools and techniques to shape and manipulate the glass into the desired form.

4. Is glass blowing a dangerous process?

Like any other form of hot glasswork, glass blowing does come with some risks. The glassblower must work with extreme heat and molten glass, which can cause burns if not handled properly. However, with proper training and safety precautions, glass blowing can be a safe and enjoyable process.

5. Can glass only be blown into round shapes?

No, glass can be blown into a variety of shapes, including round, cylindrical, conical, and even intricate designs. Glassblowers have mastered the art of manipulating molten glass to create various shapes and forms, making glass blowing a versatile and creative process.