1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why can't i apply the simple average velocity formula?

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    I'm doing a homework problem (i already know the answer) and i came across an error in my logic/application of the formula Vavg = (v + v0)/2. Hopefully you can help me understand why it's incorrect to use the formula.

x = 12t2-2t3 describes a particle position. the derivative of x = 24t-6t2.

The homework question asked me find the average velocity between t = 0 and t = 3.

Using the formula Vavg = Δx/Δt yields 18 m/s... the correct answer.

---
    When i use the simpler formula: Vavg = (vf + vi) / 2 = (x'(3.0)+x'(0.0))/2 = 18/2. I get 9 m/s which is incorrect.

--
    Adding the velocity at t=3 with the velocity at t=0 and then dividing by 2 should've produced 18 m/s... My logic is clearly wrong, but how?

x' describes the velocity of the particle at t seconds? right?

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2
    Hello rainstom, welcome to Physics Forums

Your average forumla (t0+t3)/2 is only correct if x is a linear function of t ie a straight line.

The function x = 12t2-2t3 is decidedly non linear

The way to derive an average for a non linear function (works for linear as well but is trivial) is to integrate the function and divide by the interval or number of points or samples.

So average = Area/Interval

Does this help and can you now obtain the correct answer?

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3
    Thank you! i knew there was some sort of condition attached to the simpler version of average velocity.

^^ yup

5. Jan 30, 2012 #4
    I suppose you meant v_avg = (v_0 + v_3)/2 is only correct if v is a linear function of t.?

X must then be a quadratic function of t, and x = 12t2-2t3 isn't a quadratic.

6. Jan 30, 2012 #5
    Hello willem2 does this attachment help?

The average velocity is the number which if you multiplied it by the time would give you the total distance travelled.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook