Why can't I use A(sub)b(/sub) with LaTeX delimiters?

In summary, LaTeX is a typesetting language commonly used for creating high-quality documents in mathematics and science. It allows for precise formatting of equations and symbols, making them easier to read and understand. Multiplication in LaTeX is a way of representing mathematical equations involving multiplication, using either the asterisk symbol or the \cdot command. Additionally, LaTeX can be used for other mathematical operations, including addition, subtraction, division, and more. There are many online resources available for learning how to use multiplication and other mathematical operations in LaTeX.
mech-eng
I try to write volume calculation equation in latex using both multiplication and deltat which is producted with velocity and quarter square of diameter to calculate volume.

Vvolume=Vvelocity$$\frac{diamter^2}{4}\deltat$$

upload_2017-5-2_1-4-49.png

Would you please explain what is wrong with the code?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this what you're looking for?

##V_{volume} = V_{velocity}\frac{diameter^2}{4}{\Delta}t##

The LaTeX code I used is: V_{volume} = V_{velocity}\frac{diameter^2}{4}{\Delta}t
Edit: There should be double '#' symbols before and after the entire thing.

Likes mech-eng
Why is there a big space between Velocity and diameter parts in my code in spite of they are written without in space in the code?

Thank you.

Best I can tell, it's because of 2 things.

1. In your code you have the double '$' symbols right before the d^2/4 term. That tells the software that you want everything in between the dollar signs as LaTeX and also tells it you want it centered in the screen. You need to put the first set of dollar signs at the very front. Alternatively, you can use double '#' symbols instead of dollar signs. That tells the software your writing LaTeX, but that you want to keep it located where the actual text is, not centered in the screen.

2. You're using V(SUB)volume(/SUB) in your code (but with brackets instead of parentheses). I don't think that's compatible with LaTeX and so the software doesn't treat it as LaTeX. If I change the code to V_{velocity}, using an underscore instead, and put the dollar signs in front of the entire equation then it works fine.

Note that writing V_volume gives you ##V_volume##. You need to write it as V_{volume} to get ##V_{volume}##.

If you haven't already, take a look at our LaTeX primer: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Likes mech-eng
Drakkith said:
If you haven't already, take a look at our LaTeX primer: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

I am trying to understand this page step to step.

Drakkith said:
2. You're using V(SUB)volume(/SUB) in your code (but with brackets instead of parentheses). I don't think that's compatible with LaTeX and so the software doesn't treat it as LaTeX.
Does this mean that LaTeX and BB Coding are not compatible? Because V(SUB)volume(/SUB) works in this site.

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
Does this mean that LaTeX and BB Coding are not compatible? Because V(SUB)volume(/SUB) works in this site.

I've just tried it and it doesn't appear to work correctly in conjunction with LaTeX.

Drakkith said:
I've just tried it and it doesn't appear to work correctly in conjunction with LaTeX.
Delimiters, #,#, do not work in this case. Does that coding cause the delimiters to no be interpreted by the browser?

##Ab come##

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
Delimiters, #,#, do not work in this case. Does that coding cause the delimiters to no be interpreted by the browser?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I'm pretty inexperienced with LaTeX myself, so I have no idea about any of the behind-the-scenes functionality.

Drakkith said:
I'm not sure what you mean by this. I'm pretty inexperienced with LaTeX myself, so I have no idea about any of the behind-the-scenes functionality.

I mean the delimiters, the number signs, work well in this #, # A_b#, # > ##A_b## but these delimiters, the numbers signs do not work with ##Ab##

The delimiter #, do not work.
#: Numbersign?
Thank you.

Okay, I had to click the "edit" button and look at the raw text in your post to understand.
You're saying exactly what I said before. You can't use A(sub)b(/sub) with the LaTeX delimiters. Unfortunately I don't know why.

Related to Why can't I use A(sub)b(/sub) with LaTeX delimiters?

What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting language used for creating high-quality documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics and science. It is often used for creating complex equations and symbols.

What is multiplication in LaTeX?

Multiplication in LaTeX is a way of representing mathematical equations involving multiplication using the LaTeX language. It allows for precise formatting and typesetting of equations, making them easier to read and understand.

How do I write a multiplication equation in LaTeX?

To write a multiplication equation in LaTeX, you can use the asterisk symbol (*) or the \cdot command. For example, 2*3 or 2\cdot3 will both display as 2 times 3 in your document.

Can I use LaTeX for other mathematical operations?

Yes, LaTeX can be used for a variety of mathematical operations, including addition, subtraction, division, and more. It also has features for creating fractions, exponents, and other advanced mathematical concepts.

Are there any resources for learning how to use multiplication in LaTeX?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning how to use multiplication and other mathematical operations in LaTeX. Some popular resources include tutorials, forums, and user guides.