Why can't I use the partial derivatives method to solve this problem correctly?

In summary, the author is asking why it is that substituting t for x1/2 in the partial derivative equation produces a different answer. The author seems to think that their first answer is correct, but they don't understand why it doesn't work if they make the substitution.
dyn
Hi.
If I have a function f ( x , t ) = x - 6t with x ( t ) = t2 and I take the partial derivative of f with respect to x I get the answer 1 as t acts as a constant so its derivative is zero. But if I substitute t with x1/2 I get the answer 1 - 3x-1/2 which is obviously different and wrong , I think ! So , why can't I do this method ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dyn said:
Hi.
If I have a function f ( x , t ) = x - 6t with x ( t ) = t2 and I take the partial derivative of f with respect to x I get the answer 1 as t acts as a constant so its derivative is zero.
If t is constant, then so is x=t2. Better is t = x0.5 and df/dx = 1 - 6*0.5*x-0.5

Likes fresh_42
with f(x,t) = x-6t and x(t ) = t2 then ∂f/∂x = 1 but if I substitute t for x1/2 I get a different answer. I think my first answer is correct but I don't understand why it doesn't work if I make the substitution ?

dyn said:
with f(x,t) = x-6t and x(t ) = t2 then ∂f/∂x = 1 but if I substitute t for x1/2 I get a different answer. I think my first answer is correct but I don't understand why it doesn't work if I make the substitution ?
No, your first answer is wrong. You can't say that x = t2, that t is constant, and that x changes (since dx ≠ 0 ). Since x and t are related, you have to say that df/dx = dx/dx -6 dt/dx and figure it out from there. t is not constant.

Well, when you take a partial derivative of a function of several variables, what you get will depend, of course, on the dependencies you decide to impose on these variables. For example, you can just use a partial derivative chain rule:
[tex]\frac{\partial f(u,v)}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]
Now you'll have to decide how these variables (abstract first and second variables of the function of two variables ##f##; I even made a different notation for these variables - ##u## and ##v##, to underscore that) depend on your ##x##. Since ##u## is equal to ##x##, then ##\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = 1##, and you only have to decide whether you take ##v=t## independent of ##x## (then you'll basically get a partial derivative of ##f## with respect to the first variable, since ##\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial t}{\partial x} = 0##) or not:
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial u} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial t}\frac{\partial t}{\partial x}[/tex]

I will quote the full question and answer
Calculate ∂f/∂x for f(x,y,t) = 3x2 +2xy + y1/2t - 5xt . With x(t) = t3 and y(t) = 2t5
The answer is given as ∂f/∂x = 6x + 2y -5t.
This looks to me like differentiating with respect to x while holding y and t constant even though x depends on t

Probably because by ##\partial f / \partial x## they meant a partial derivative of the function ##f## with respect to the first argument.
Now that I think of it, it would make more sense to call the other case (differentiate ##f## over all of its variables with the use of the chain rule) taking a full derivative with respect to ##x## (when we look at ##f## as a function over ##x## only).

dyn said:
Calculate ∂f/∂x for f(x,y,t) = 3x2 +2xy + y1/2t - 5xt . With x(t) = t3 and y(t) = 2t5
This looks to me like differentiating with respect to x while holding y and t constant even though x depends on t
Obviously this is a different example, but it certainly looks like you are correct about what they are doing. I don't think that I agree, but maybe I am missing a trick. Is there any more explanation or context given for this example? What subject is this supposed to illustrate? There are techniques for handling constraints where I could understand their partial derivatives.

It was just a question I found on partial derivatives. I understand that there is a difference between a partial derivative and a full/total derivative. My understanding is that a partial derivative means you treat all the other variables as constants but now I'm confused if one of the other variables is related to t ie. x(t) = t3

If we took all dependencies into consideration ##f## would be a function of just one variable, kind of like ##f(x,y(x),t(x))##, where each of ##y## and ##t## is itself a function of ##x##, and we would have to find their derivatives with respect to ##x##. That wouldn't be exactly a partial derivative.

Last edited:
dyn said:
I'm getting a bit confused now. Is the stated answer given above correct ? And if it is , why is it correct ?

dyn said:
I'm getting a bit confused now. Is the stated answer given above correct ? And if it is , why is it correct ?

The stated answer is the correct answer to the question:
What is the partial derivative of the function ##f(x,y,t) = 3x^2 + 2xy + y^{1/2}t - 5xt## with respect to its first argument ##x## ?
Functions have a domain and co-doman. The function ##f = f(x,y,t)## has a domain consisting of triples of real numbers. The function ##f## is not the same function as the function ##g = g(t) = 3(t^3)^2 + 2(t^3)(2t^5) + (2t^5)^{1/2}t + 5(t^3)t##, which has a domain consisting of singletons of real numbers.

The question in your example defines the function ##f## and then attempts to confuse us by saying "With ##x(t) = t^3## and ##y(t) = 2t^5##". We are tempted to think of "##f##" as denoting two different functions, one whose domain is triples of real numbers and another whose domain is singletons of real numbers. It is not correct mathematical notation to use "##f##" to denote both ##f(x,y,t)## and ##f(t) = g(t)## within the same problem.

Correct mathematical notation does not use the same letter to denote two different functions. However, you will find that articles on physics and other applications of mathematics do use the same letter to denote two (or more!) different functions. In reading such articles, you must determine from the context of the problem being solved which function "##f##" is intended to represent. This is discussed in the Insight article: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/partial-differentiation-without-tears/

Last edited:
Likes dyn

Related to Why can't I use the partial derivatives method to solve this problem correctly?

1. What is the Partial Derivatives Method?

The Partial Derivatives Method is a mathematical tool used to find the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. It involves taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and then plugging in the specific values for the variables to find the rate of change at a specific point.

2. When is the Partial Derivatives Method used?

The Partial Derivatives Method is commonly used in calculus, economics, physics, and engineering to analyze systems with multiple variables. It is particularly useful in finding maximum and minimum values of multivariable functions, optimizing functions, and solving partial differential equations.

3. What are the advantages of using the Partial Derivatives Method?

The Partial Derivatives Method allows for a systematic and efficient approach to finding the rate of change of a function with respect to a specific variable. It also allows for the analysis of complex systems with multiple variables and can provide insights into the behavior of these systems.

4. Are there any limitations of the Partial Derivatives Method?

The Partial Derivatives Method relies on the assumption that the function is continuous and differentiable. It also assumes that the function has a unique maximum or minimum value, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the method can become cumbersome and time-consuming when dealing with functions with a large number of variables.

5. How is the Partial Derivatives Method different from the Total Derivatives Method?

The Partial Derivatives Method only considers the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable at a time, while the Total Derivatives Method considers the overall rate of change of a function with respect to all variables simultaneously. The Total Derivatives Method is typically used when the variables are interdependent and cannot be treated separately.