Why couldn't this be factored further?

• Thread starter Peter Tran
  • Start date
In summary, the difference of two squares, s^4 - 625, can be factored as (s^2 + 25)(s^2 - 25), but cannot be factored further under the real numbers.
Peter Tran

Homework Statement

Factor the following difference of two squares. Assume that variables represent whole numbers.

s^4 - 625

Homework Equations

(A)^2 - (B)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

s^4-625
(s^2)^2 - 25^2
(s^2+25)(s^2-25)
(s^2+25)(s+5)(s+5) - Correct

The "program" wants me to stop there, but why? Couldn't I just go ahead and continue factoring the (s^2+25) also?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't factor a2+b2. You were able to factor difference of two squares only, not sum of two squares.

p.s. I think you made a typo, it should be (s2+25)(s+5)(s-5)

Peter Tran said:

Homework Statement

Factor the following difference of two squares. Assume that variables represent whole numbers.

s^4 - 625

Homework Equations

(A)^2 - (B)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

s^4-625
(s^2)^2 - 25^2
(s^2+25)(s^2-25)
(s^2+25)(s+5)(s+5) - Correct

The "program" wants me to stop there, but why? Couldn't I just go ahead and continue factoring the (s^2+25) also?

No. There is no way to factor s2 + 25 (or any sum of two squares in the form a2 + b2) under the real numbers. However, if you are familiar with complex numbers, then s2 + 25 could be factored further, but I don't know if you need to do that.

Oh that's right, I completley forgot that I could only factor A2 - B2.
Thanks.

1. Why couldn't this be factored further?

Factoring is the process of breaking down an expression into smaller parts. However, not all expressions can be factored further. This could be due to a number of reasons, such as the expression being prime, having irrational numbers, or not following a specific pattern that allows for factoring.

2. What is the purpose of factoring an expression?

Factoring an expression can help simplify it and make it easier to work with. It can also reveal important information about the expression, such as its roots, factors, or properties. In some cases, factoring can also help solve equations or problems more efficiently.

3. Can every expression be factored?

No, not every expression can be factored. Some expressions, such as prime numbers or irrational numbers, cannot be broken down into smaller parts. Additionally, some expressions may not follow a specific pattern that allows for factoring.

4. How can I determine if an expression can be factored?

There are several methods for determining if an expression can be factored. One method is to look for common factors among the terms in the expression. If all the terms have a common factor, then the expression can be factored. Another method is to check if the expression follows a specific factoring pattern, such as the difference of squares or perfect square trinomial patterns.

5. Is there a limit to how many times an expression can be factored?

There is no defined limit to how many times an expression can be factored. However, in most cases, factoring an expression multiple times will eventually lead to the same result. For example, factoring the expression (x+2)(x+3) will result in the same expression whether it is factored once or multiple times.