Why use separate buses for grounds and commons in subpanel boxes?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary: Main Bonding Jumper, Not InstalledIn summary, the ground jumper connects the ground bus to the chassis.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Why are ground wires and common wires put on separate isolated buses in subpanel boxes, but not in the main panel box?
My understanding of (USA) household electrical wiring is that in a "main panel" breaker box, the ground wires and the common wires may go to the same bus. In a "subpanel" box, the wires and commons must go to separate, electrically isolated buses. Why is this convention used?

If there is a mechanical switch that disconnects electricity to the house at the electric meter, the panel boxes that I have seen are wired as "subpanel" boxes even if they are the only breaker box.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If neutral and ground are connected to one another in a subpanel, a portion of return current to the main panel flows through the neutral wire and the remainder flows through the ground path.

This is unsafe under the best of circumstances, but if the subpanel ground-to-neutral bond develops high resistance through corrosion, loosening connections, etc. and neutral connection fails completely, all return current to the main panel flows through the ground wire. Voltage on the subpanel ground wire in reference to ground at the service entrance (hence, to anything connected to the grounding pins fed from that subpanel - appliance frames, for example) will rise to lethal levels.

Stephen Tashi said:
If there is a mechanical switch that disconnects electricity to the house at the electric meter, the panel boxes that I have seen are wired as "subpanel" boxes even if they are the only breaker box.

Sometimes ground and neutral are bonded together in the meter base rather than at the main panel box.

Likes essenmein, marcusl and DaveE
Stephen Tashi said:
Summary: Why are ground wires and common wires put on separate isolated buses in subpanel boxes, but not in the main panel box?

In a "subpanel" box, the wires and commons must go to separate, electrically isolated buses. Why is this convention used?
Asymptotic said:
This is unsafe under the best of circumstances, ...

Sometimes a picture is worth a 103 words.

image compliments of https://www.ecmweb.com/

• Informative
Likes krater and Asymptotic
To add to the safety issue mentioned above, tying ground and neutral together at two locations creates a current loop, and in the presence of other high current loads (more specifically the alternative magnetic fields from that current) that loop can flow current, at best this can make audio equipment noisy, at worst, significant ground voltages can be induced.

Likes dlgoff and Asymptotic
dlgoff said:
Sometimes a picture is worth a 103 words.

I find the picture confusing. What does the "main bonding jumper" connect?

Stephen Tashi said:
I agree. I suspect it means that the neutral bus is tied to the chassis with a jumper of some sort supplied by the manufacturer that is capable of carrying fault current until the main breaker trips.

Think of the "neutral" line as just one of the two phases necessary to get the current to flow. The "ground" is not part of the AC circuit, it is just a safety measure (therefore it is usually called "protective ground"). Different countries have different requirements for connecting the two. In my country, we have strict requirements for the protective ground, but connecting one of the phases to protective ground counts as a "ground fault" and will trip the ground fault protection part in the corresponding fuse.

Likes dlgoff
Stephen Tashi said:
What's confusing? In the image it clearly says, "Main Bonding Jumper, Not Installed". Isn't this thread about "grounds and commons (neutral)"? The ground jumper is shown not connected to the neutral. Hence it should be connected like this:

1. Why is it important to use separate buses for grounds and commons in subpanel boxes?

Using separate buses for grounds and commons in subpanel boxes is important because it helps to reduce the risk of electrical shock and fire hazards. By keeping the ground and common wires separate, it ensures that any fault in the system will be directed to the ground wire, preventing the flow of excess current through the common wires.

2. What is the purpose of having separate buses for grounds and commons in subpanel boxes?

The purpose of having separate buses for grounds and commons in subpanel boxes is to provide a safe and efficient way to distribute electricity. By keeping the ground and common wires separate, it helps to maintain the integrity of the electrical system and reduces the risk of electrical hazards.

3. Can I use the same bus for grounds and commons in a subpanel box?

No, it is not recommended to use the same bus for grounds and commons in a subpanel box. This can create a dangerous situation where the ground wire may carry excess current, leading to electrical shock and fire hazards. It is important to keep the ground and common wires separate to ensure the safety of the electrical system.

4. Are there any exceptions to using separate buses for grounds and commons in subpanel boxes?

There may be exceptions to using separate buses for grounds and commons in subpanel boxes, but they should only be made under the guidance of a qualified electrician. In some cases, where the subpanel box is very small or there are space limitations, a single bus may be used for both grounds and commons. However, this should be done with caution and only after careful consideration of safety measures.

5. What are the consequences of not using separate buses for grounds and commons in subpanel boxes?

Not using separate buses for grounds and commons in subpanel boxes can lead to serious consequences, including electrical shock and fire hazards. If the ground and common wires are connected to the same bus, it can result in the ground wire carrying excessive current, which can cause damage to the electrical system and potentially harm individuals. It is important to follow proper safety measures and use separate buses for grounds and commons in subpanel boxes.