Why do biologists talk about appearence of design ?

• Thread starter bostonnew
  • Start date

Hmmm....

Ok, so the consensus (if any) seems to be that he's referring to complexity when he says that things look designed. But honestly that doesn't make any sense to me.

To me, a high degree of complexity would mean exactly that it is very unlikely to be designed. Which is more complex, a table or a baby? The most complex things we have are obviously those that have had millions if not billions of years to develop that level of complexity. It would be extremely surprising to me if someone could design something as complex as life.

Sorry, I'm just still completely at a loss.

Hmmm....

Ok, so the consensus (if any) seems to be that he's referring to complexity when he says that things look designed. But honestly that doesn't make any sense to me.

To me, a high degree of complexity would mean exactly that it is very unlikely to be designed. Which is more complex, a table or a baby? The most complex things we have are obviously those that have had millions if not billions of years to develop that level of complexity. It would be extremely surprising to me if someone could design something as complex as life.

A baby is a bad example, considering the topic of the thread. A good question would be "which is more complex, a table or a rock?"

atyy
Science Advisor

Hmmm....

I have no idea what Dawkins is talking about since I haven't read his book. However, the classical idea is one of adaptation to a niche for a certain period of time.