Why do conventional trucks dominate the US?

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
In summary, Europeans tend to prefer cab-over engine trucks, while Americans mostly use conventional trucks. Regulations regarding maximum length may be a factor, as well as the fact that US trucks are designed to service larger areas.
TSN79
Why is it that in the US you mostly see conventional 18 wheelers, while in Europe you have COE (Cab over engine). I've read that it's likely due to regulations regarding maximum length. In the US one only looks at the length of the trailer as opposed to Europe where the length of the entire vehicle is considered. In Europe this obviously means that a shorter truck equals more freight capacity. Fair enough, but still I don't get why conventional trucks dominate the US. Why would you want a truck that's longer that it needs to be? For one thing a COE-truck would give you more manouverbility.

Physics news on Phys.org
TSN79 said:
Why is it that in the US you mostly see conventional 18 wheelers, while in Europe you have COE (Cab over engine).
Same reason you have washing machines and kitchen appliances that look like they are from the 1950s, or the reason people drive pick-up trucks on the school run.

It's an amazingly conservative society -

well, we do have a lot of room here in the US. space isn't so much an issue until you get into cities, where you will actually see more of those compact designs you mentioned. but for interstate freight, it's not a problem.

In cities, you'll see very short "switchers" that are used to back truck trailers into docks that are hard to get to. Those trucks can be very short and tiny, and are generally very low-geared. They are not designed to actually haul trailers from point A to B - just to take a trailer from a lot and transfer it to a dock for unloading.

Conventional trucks are easier for an individual to work on with respect to the engine, they are more stable, especially with more aerodynamic noses, and they give more protection in a crash. COEs were more popular in the 1970s and perhaps into 80s, IIRC. I used to see a lot more COEs, particularly the CF/White Freightliners.

Driving a COE would give me a nightmare. I'd see myself in the cab when suddenly there is a clicking sound and the cab tilts forward (exposing the engine), me doubled-up over the steering wheel, watching the road flow at 75 mph.

I also have heard that a vehicle with an extensive engine compartment ("hood") would minimize eye strain (and road trance?) relative to another with a smaller compartment. In the short vehicle the driver would be "seeing" (albeit unconsciously) the tiresome, constant flow of the road very near; in the long vehicle he can focus on the road ahead, which would minimize eye strain.

Astronuc said:
Conventional trucks are easier for an individual to work on with respect to the engine,
Good point - I guessed modern trucks are all on fleet lease arrangements rather than owner/driver.

and they give more protection in a crash.
Not sure about that, Volvo and Mercedes sell pretty well on their safety standards.

The US trucks tend to service larger areas than European trucks, and cab overs aren't nearly as comfortable a ride.

Scania and Iveco make great trucks in Europe, but I have never seen any of them here in Canada. I don't think there are any in US either. But Scania is like the "Rolls-Royce" of trucks!
http://fondoscoches.com.es/images/wallpapers/iveco-stralis-127492.jpeg

Last edited:
166526i.jpg

Cost may also be an issue. I don't know if the two styles differ substantially or not. But, for long-haul trucking, drivers aren't really concerned with having a compact cab. Actually, they're usually looking for larger, sleeper cabs so they can have their TV, mini-fridge, bed, and other comforts when sleeping at truck stops so much of their life. The more compact designs are better suited for the short-hauls for deliveries in cities, but then you don't see as many tractor-trailers in cities at all. If the cargo can fit into a box truck or van for city deliveries, that's preferred, for the sake of parking.

According to Volvo's site it's because of overall vehicle length rules in the EU - short cab = more cargo room.
They also make hooded versions for North America

Cab-overs still have sleepers, even in tiny little europe it's quite a long drive form Poland or Greece to Scotland !

mgb_phys said:
Cab-overs still have sleepers, even in tiny little europe it's quite a long drive form Poland or Greece to Scotland !
So like traveling through part of Texas.

Evo said:

Texas is what, 800 miles across? It's thousands of miles from Greece to Scotland!

If your drive takes more than 24 hours, you save a lot of money having the sleeper in your truck. It can take a week or more (2900 miles) to drive from the West coast in the United States to the East. These truckers don't stop driving once they drop their load either, they pick up another and head back.

Also, a lot of long-haul truckers drive in teams and take turns driving and sleeping. A couple of my closest friends years ago did just that. They had a reputation for delivering loads on time and in good condition, so they got some very lucrative runs of refrigerated produce. Some of their best-paying runs were for very perishable fruits and berries. Stawberries from Fresno to Montreal was a favorite, and it helped greatly that one of the guys was quite fluent in French. Long-wheelbase tractors with air-ride suspensions are easier on the drivers and on the load than shorter tractors. They ran a long-wheelbase Peterbilt with a strong Cat diesel engine. Cat engines are very torquey and saved them time and money in the mountains. Those guys could pile the miles on, stopping only for bathroom breaks, fuel, and showers. I'd get to see them usually only one weekend a month or so, when they had an opportunity to take a short lay-over.

brewnog said:
Texas is what, 800 miles across? It's thousands of miles from Greece to Scotland!

1753 miles from Athens to Edinburgh, which is about half the width of the US coast to coast

Warsaw to Edinburgh is only 1000 miles, which is pretty close to Texas

brewnog said:
It's thousands of miles from Greece to Scotland!
Almost 2000mi Athens to Glasgow, but with a train ride across the Channel.

Conventional trucks dominate the roads because if they are, well, conventional.

Evo said:

With slightly better scenery !

Pattonias said:
If your drive takes more than 24 hours, you save a lot of money having the sleeper in your truck. It can take a week or more (2900 miles) to drive from the West coast in the United States to the East. These truckers don't stop driving once they drop their load either, they pick up another and head back.

A lot of truckers just own their truck and not the trailer. But I think the main reason in the US is that its easier to transfer the trailer part and its load, rather than moving the contents out of the trailer to another trailer if the load is of a certain nature.

The trailer or tanker may be owned by one company and say rented to another for moving its contents, and the trucker can pick up another load while the contents are being unloaded.

A lot more of the trailers are like flatbeds too that are used to move containers, like you see stacked up on ships and major ports, and the containers are often just rented for shipping stuff; and they can often be shipped cheaper by railroad over the long distance (we have in the US) and then loaded onto a flatbed carrier for the ending/short trip to the final destination.

It basically ends up about the cost vs distance vs ease.

1. Why are conventional trucks the most commonly used in the US?

Conventional trucks, also known as Class 8 trucks, have been the dominant type of truck in the US for several reasons. Firstly, they are able to carry heavy loads and have a higher weight capacity compared to other types of trucks. Additionally, they are more durable and can handle rougher terrain, which is important for long-haul trucking. Moreover, the infrastructure in the US, such as highways and parking areas, is designed to accommodate conventional trucks, making them the most convenient option for transportation companies.

2. What makes conventional trucks more cost-effective?

Conventional trucks are more cost-effective due to their higher fuel efficiency and lower maintenance costs compared to other types of trucks. They also have a longer lifespan, which means companies do not have to replace them as frequently. Additionally, the standardized design of conventional trucks makes it easier and more affordable to manufacture and repair them.

3. Are there any regulations that favor conventional trucks in the US?

Yes, there are regulations in place that favor conventional trucks in the US. These include weight restrictions on highways and parking regulations. Conventional trucks are designed to meet these regulations, making them the most practical option for transportation companies. Moreover, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has specific safety regulations for Class 8 trucks, which further solidifies their dominance in the US trucking industry.

4. How do conventional trucks impact the environment?

Conventional trucks have a significant impact on the environment due to their high fuel consumption and emissions. However, with advancements in technology, newer models of conventional trucks are becoming more eco-friendly, with improved fuel efficiency and lower emissions. Furthermore, alternative fuel options, such as natural gas, are being used in some conventional trucks to reduce their environmental impact.

5. Will conventional trucks continue to dominate in the future?

It is likely that conventional trucks will continue to dominate the US trucking industry in the near future. However, with advancements in technology and increasing concerns about the environment, there may be a shift towards more sustainable and efficient types of trucks, such as electric or hybrid trucks. In addition, changes in regulations and infrastructure may also impact the dominance of conventional trucks in the long term.