Why do I get to a contradiction?

In summary, the conversation is about a notation involving the operators Lz and L+ and an eigenstate of L^2 and Lz. The result of L+ on this eigenstate is needed to determine if there was an error in the calculations. The possibility of not understanding the mathematics is also mentioned.
Gjmdp
I don't understand why LzL+ acting over m is Planck constant(m+1) L+|m>. I 've done it and I've got to a contradiction. Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notaion is difficult to understand. Do you mean
$$
L_z L^+ | l,m \rangle = \hbar (m+1) L^+ | l,m \rangle
$$
with ##L^+## the raising operator and ##| l,m \rangle## an eigenstate of ##L^2## and ##L_z## (with quantum numbers ##l## and ##m##)?

If so, what is the result of ##L^+ | l,m \rangle##?

Likes vanhees71
Gjmdp said:
I've got to a contradiction. Am I doing something wrong?
Even though you didn't say what exactly have you done, the above is sufficient to conclude that the answer is - yes.

Likes bhobba
Demystifier said:
Even though you didn't say what exactly have you done, the above is sufficient to conclude that the answer is - yes.
Yup that is very probable. But, there's still the option I didn't understand some of the mathematics, and yet, I may not have done anything wrong.

Gjmdp said:
Yup that is very probable. But, there's still the option I didn't understand some of the mathematics, and yet, I may not have done anything wrong.

Then please show us what you have already done.

1. Why do I sometimes reach a contradiction in my scientific experiments?

Contradictions can occur in scientific experiments due to a variety of reasons. These can include faulty equipment, errors in data collection or analysis, human error, or limitations in our current understanding of the topic being studied.

2. How do scientists deal with contradictions in their findings?

When a contradiction is encountered, scientists will carefully review their methods and data to try and identify the source of the contradiction. This may involve repeating experiments, adjusting procedures, or seeking input from other experts in the field.

3. Are contradictions always a bad thing in science?

No, contradictions can actually be beneficial in science as they can lead to new discoveries and a deeper understanding of a topic. They can also highlight flaws in current theories and prompt scientists to develop new and improved explanations.

4. Can contradictions be avoided in scientific research?

While scientists strive to minimize contradictions in their research, they are an inevitable part of the scientific process. However, careful planning, rigorous experimentation, and thorough analysis can help reduce the occurrence of contradictions.

5. How can contradictions be resolved in science?

Contradictions can be resolved by conducting further research and gathering more evidence. Scientists may also revise their theories or develop new ones to better explain the observed contradictions. Collaboration and open-mindedness are key in resolving contradictions in science.