Why do metastable states in atoms exist?

• B
  • Thread starter Zahid Iftikhar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms States
In summary, the conversation discussed the existence of metastable states in atoms and their role in laser production. It was mentioned that some orbits allow electrons to stay for longer periods of time due to selection rules and spin orientations. The discussion also touched on the use of heavy atoms or molecules to reduce the lifetime of metastable states for more efficient light generation in OLEDs. Overall, the conversation highlighted the complexity of this topic and the need for further study.
Zahid Iftikhar
Hi
My question relates to existence of metastable states in atoms which help out laser production. Is there any physical reason why some orbits allow electrons to stay for comparatively longer time 10-3 s than others which allow only 10-8s?
Is this stay time same for all materials?
Please guide.

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the reason is related to the underlying physics governing the transition between energy states, known as selection rules.
It's quite complicated and I don't know if there is an easy way to explain it. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in this area can expand on this.

Drakkith is right. The most common reason for metastable states in atoms (or molecules) is due to the metastable state having different spin than the ground state. Often, the ground state is a singlet (i.e. the spins of the electrons are all paired up) while some long-living excited state is a triplet state (i.e. the spin of two electrons is oriented parallel). As the coupling of the spin to orbital momentum is a relativistic effect, it is quite small, at least in lighter atoms.

Likes atyy
Thanks indeed. That sound interesting. I need to study it more.

In a triplet, the unpaired excited electron has the same spin orientation as the unpaired ground electron, so it has to spin flip to get back down. This has a very low probability of occurring which makes the triplet state of let's say neon, for instance, metastable.

Likes atyy
Marisa5 said:
In a triplet, the unpaired excited electron has the same spin orientation as the unpaired ground electron, so it has to spin flip to get back down. This has a very low probability of occurring which makes the triplet state of let's say neon, for instance, metastable.
Marisa5 Thanks indeed for this further help. This all helped me a lot. Great forum, great people.

Likes Marisa5
As a light addition to the already good explaind facts...for OLEDs (organic LED) there are some materials that are mostly triplet emitters through intersystem crossing process that lead to metastable states that are inefficient for light emission. Thus one will dope this materials with heavy atoms or molecules that lead to high spin orbit coupling to reduce the lifetime and increase the decay propability of this state to get a more efficient light generation. So you can have an influence on the lifetime of this states. At least in this case.

Likes MisterX

1. What is a metastable state in an atom?

A metastable state in an atom is a state in which an electron is in an excited energy level, but is unable to emit a photon and return to its ground state due to conservation of energy. This results in the electron remaining in the excited state for a longer period of time than a typical excited state.

2. Why do metastable states exist in atoms?

Metastable states exist in atoms due to the quantum mechanical nature of electrons. According to the Pauli exclusion principle, no two electrons can occupy the same energy state. This means that when an electron is excited to a higher energy level, it cannot immediately return to its ground state without violating this principle. As a result, the electron remains in the excited state for a longer period of time, creating a metastable state.

3. How do metastable states impact atomic stability?

Metastable states do not significantly impact atomic stability, as they are relatively short-lived and do not significantly alter the overall energy of the atom. However, they can play a role in some chemical reactions and processes, as they can be involved in energy transfers and collisions with other particles.

4. Can metastable states be observed or measured?

Yes, metastable states can be observed and measured through various spectroscopic techniques. These states have longer lifetimes than typical excited states, allowing scientists to study them and gather information about the energy levels and electronic structure of atoms.

5. Are metastable states only found in atoms?

No, metastable states can also exist in other systems, such as molecules and nuclei. In these systems, the metastable state is created by an excited electron or particle being unable to emit a photon or return to a lower energy state due to conservation of energy. However, the principles behind the existence of metastable states in atoms still apply to these systems.