Why do people criticize my love for math at 52 years old?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, people who enjoy mathematics are often met with disapproval from others. This is due to the idea that happiness is a negative emotion. Those who are passionate about mathematics do not fit this description. They are instead showing off their knowledge and skills. There are no negative consequences to being passionate about mathematics.
mathdad
What age is too old to review math? I am 52 and heavily criticized for enjoying math. I do not get it. What is so sinful about reviewing material learned long ago?

What should I replace math with, drugs, liquor, women, etc? If my passion for mathematics does not break the laws of the land, then what is my crime? What am I doing that is so terribly bad? Is math only for young people or students?

Physics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
What age is too old to review math? I am 52 and heavily criticized for enjoying math. I do not get it. What is so sinful about reviewing material learned long ago?

What should I replace math with, drugs, liquor, women, etc? If my passion for mathematics does not break the laws of the land, then what is my crime? What am I doing that is so terribly bad? Is math only for young people or students?
If you love doing it then do it! Personally, when I get to the nursing home I'm going to rent out the room next to me and fill it with my textbooks. I see no reason that I should have to leave my learning.

-Dan

I agree, Dan. Why should age be a factor? I am not hurting anyone or myself. Am I ever going to use precalculus? Am I aiming to be a high school math teacher? No to both questions.

Am I showing off? My knowledge of math is not enough to brag about. People generally hate to see others happy. Unhappiness is a worldwide shared emotion. Not only do so-called friends call me crazy but my family decided to stop talking to me because of my passion for math.

My son stopped talking to me last year. Regardless, I am committed to learning as much as possible. After precalculus, I am going to purchase a single variable calculus textbook by James Stewart. I want to learn calculus 1, 2, and 3 sufficiently well all in good time.

Related to Why do people criticize my love for math at 52 years old?

1. What makes math a good hobby?

Math is a good hobby because it exercises the brain, improves problem-solving skills, and promotes critical thinking. It can also be a source of relaxation and enjoyment for those who find math interesting.

2. How can I get started with math as a hobby?

The best way to get started with math as a hobby is to choose a topic or area of math that interests you. You can then find resources such as books, online tutorials, or classes to help you learn and practice. It's also helpful to join a math club or find a study partner to make the learning experience more enjoyable.

3. Is math as a hobby only for people who are good at math?

No, math as a hobby is for anyone who is interested in learning and exploring mathematical concepts. While having a strong foundation in math can be helpful, it is not a requirement to enjoy math as a hobby. With dedication and practice, anyone can improve their math skills and find enjoyment in it.

4. What are some examples of activities I can do for math as a hobby?

There are many different activities you can do for math as a hobby, such as solving puzzles and brain teasers, playing math-related games, experimenting with math concepts, and creating mathematical art or designs. You can also participate in math competitions or attend math-related events and conferences.

5. How can math as a hobby benefit me in daily life?

Math as a hobby can benefit you in daily life by improving your problem-solving and critical thinking skills, which are useful in various situations. It can also help you understand and make sense of data and statistics, which are important in making informed decisions. Additionally, math can be applied in many fields and industries, making it a valuable skill to have in the job market.