Why do people criticize my love for math at 52 years old?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
mathdad
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
0
What age is too old to review math? I am 52 and heavily criticized for enjoying math. I do not get it. What is so sinful about reviewing material learned long ago?

What should I replace math with, drugs, liquor, women, etc? If my passion for mathematics does not break the laws of the land, then what is my crime? What am I doing that is so terribly bad? Is math only for young people or students?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
What age is too old to review math? I am 52 and heavily criticized for enjoying math. I do not get it. What is so sinful about reviewing material learned long ago?

What should I replace math with, drugs, liquor, women, etc? If my passion for mathematics does not break the laws of the land, then what is my crime? What am I doing that is so terribly bad? Is math only for young people or students?
If you love doing it then do it! Personally, when I get to the nursing home I'm going to rent out the room next to me and fill it with my textbooks. I see no reason that I should have to leave my learning.

-Dan
 
I agree, Dan. Why should age be a factor? I am not hurting anyone or myself. Am I ever going to use precalculus? Am I aiming to be a high school math teacher? No to both questions.

Am I showing off? My knowledge of math is not enough to brag about. People generally hate to see others happy. Unhappiness is a worldwide shared emotion. Not only do so-called friends call me crazy but my family decided to stop talking to me because of my passion for math.

My son stopped talking to me last year. Regardless, I am committed to learning as much as possible. After precalculus, I am going to purchase a single variable calculus textbook by James Stewart. I want to learn calculus 1, 2, and 3 sufficiently well all in good time.