Why do some people die, while others dont?

• Thread starter QuantumTheory
  • Start date
In summary: It would seem that, from the perspective of the all-encompassing, all-knowing, and all-powerful God, the death of any given person is an inevitable, natural, and immutable event.In summary, it seems that the question is irrelevant to the existence of a god.
QuantumTheory
Ok this may seem kind of strange. I earlier made a thread about if you could choose 2 paths in life, like one decision will have precurrsions on everything else, i hope it gets more responses

It seems like if there is a god, it doesn't make any sense on what he does. For example, some very good caring people die from murder, yet other murderers never die, or that when someone has gotten close to death, they think it was a miracle and god has something for them.

Why would god have something for them when someone else who died couldve done just as much as them?

So if there is a god why does he choose the way peoples die the way they do?

Or do people not die because its 'their time'but rather because of the other people that cause iT?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I guess you're making some assumptions here.

1) There is no free will
2) What people SAY is the truth
3) We can actually answer any of those questions

And what do you mean "other murdereres never die". Everyone dies.

QuantumTheory said:
For example, some very good caring people die from murder, yet other murderers never die, or that when someone has gotten close to death, they think it was a miracle and god has something for them. Why would god have something for them when someone else who died couldve done just as much as them?
A possible philosophy to hold is that the very good caring people must die so that the murderer(s) can be saved, that is, renounce their act of murder and request being saved. In this application of logic (which I think many folks hold) god has role for both good caring person and bad. Of course, if good caring people do not believe in god then one can say that get what they asked for vis-a-vis afterlife using free will while alive. Where good caring person does believe in god, afterlife with god seems like logical outcome, it was just accerated to make place for saved murderer. Thus we must conclude that under these rules of the game of life, god has important role for all, good and bad.

who says god choose's the way and time we die? it could just be random chance how and when we die.

I always found the argument from evil against the existence of God, to be a whiney, world-hating argument. You should be grateful that you were granted a single breath of life. What is God supposed to do, be some sort of catcher-in-the-rye constantly hovering over us to make sure we don't stub a toe? If someone commits a murder, it's not God's fault--blame the murderer.

QuantumTheory said:
It seems like if there is a god, it doesn't make any sense on what he does. For example, some very good caring people die from murder, yet other murderers never die, or that when someone has gotten close to death, they think it was a miracle and god has something for them.
It may be that there is a much more important "life" which is beyond the life we know on Earth - if so, would it be right to judge the "sense" of God based on our limited mortal experience?

MF

QuantumTheory said:
Ok this may seem kind of strange. I earlier made a thread about if you could choose 2 paths in life, like one decision will have precurrsions on everything else, i hope it gets more responses
Why would god have something for them when someone else who died couldve done just as much as them?
Or do people not die because its 'their time'but rather because of the other people that cause iT?

Let me help you with this one. You should rephrase the question to make it more interesting and intelligible:

Why is the death of one person ephemerally (temporarily) posponed in time and space over another's?

Naturally, the current state of affairs is such that everyone must die! This fact is currently dependent upon the form that the human being originally took. The priceless question now is whether this original form that the human took could be scientifically revised, given all that we now know about ourselves via the 'science of man'?

Therefore, temporary posponement of one's death via one's application of contingent or alternative causal and mutational pathways in the entire dynamics of spatiotemporal relational existence seems to me to be almost completely irrelevant in the way your question is phrased. A more interesting and hair-raising episode would have been if one's death were posponed indefinitely over another's . Well, that would be the day!

Last edited:
WarrenPlatts said:
I always found the argument from evil against the existence of God, to be a whiney, world-hating argument. You should be grateful that you were granted a single breath of life. What is God supposed to do, be some sort of catcher-in-the-rye constantly hovering over us to make sure we don't stub a toe? If someone commits a murder, it's not God's fault--blame the murderer.

That's the smartest thing I've read here in a long time, thanks WarrenPlatts :biggrin:

WarrenPlatts said:
If someone commits a murder, it's not God's fault--blame the murderer.
God does not blame anyone and neither should you. God loves all, especially the murderer that requests to be saved. Ultimately, everything is Gods fault (or nonfault) because as the story goes God is the origin of the first cause-effect and thus all subsequent cause-effects derive from God, both good and evil. It is not a contradiction for something all good to will evil into existence if that is its will, especially if it is also all powerful and all knowing. Humans do not completely understand why God allows evil to exist, the example above is only one of many possible explanations.

Critical_Pedagogy said:
all life dies.
I think the point being made is that, while it is true that specific forms of life lead to a state called "absence of life" (which is also called death), the absence of something is NOT a "thing", thus "death as a thing does not exist". Why would this position have any value to hold ? For the simple reason that, if death as a thing does not exist, then there is nothing for humans to fear from death (e.g., absence of life). Fear of death may well be the root of many religions, and thus, if there is nothing to fear from death, the fundamental importance to humans of many religions is wanting.

QuantumTheory said:

what do you mean some people don't die? Everybody dies. I understand your idea though, that stuff happens that just doesn't seem right. A good friend you may know, or someone you knew of but didn't think was a bad person, or a stranger get caught in an unpredictable situation like if a potted plant fell from a high window on their head and they died from a brain hemmorage or something. Ya, stuff weird happens, and it's one of the quirky things of living. You have your ideas about God, and other people do too (like "they think it was a miracle and god has something for them"). By most definitions, God can't be understood by a finite mind anyway. How can you claim that God is choosing the way everything happens anyway? Chaos theorists would argue against that, check out the butterfly effect. Strange things can happen, and we can't understand them or the causality chain linking them to our own thoughts anc actions (if there is one), but it doesn't mean that there is no causality chain, nor does it mean that there is. I suppose I'm putting too much thought into this, and I'll choose to sympathise with you and agree. I believe there seems like there is no justice in the world sometimes, and I feel the same way sometimes. I know the feeling, I hear ya. I do believe that there is such a thing as death though, and that after that point, justice is served accordingly by God to those who died.

Last edited:
Well, although I am an athiest, I would have to say that this type of thing was covered in the book of Job in the Bible, yes? If there is a god, then you are probably needed to be subjected to trials and tribulations in life, as a test of your faith usually. If you are faithful, then you will be rewarded in this life or the next. Also, God doesn't kill people, people kill people. Just because one is murdered, doesn't mean that God had anything to do with it. I think if there is one, he gives people free will and let's things run its course. But this creates many paradoxes that probably shouldn't be discussed in this thread.

Thakns everyone, great answers.

Yes, I tend to think sometimes the Earth is too complex to have evolved (I know everyone here will agree with evolution, sorry)

It just seems too perfect. So to me there must bel ife after death.

What are the main factors that contribute to death?

The main factors that contribute to death include age, genetics, lifestyle choices, environmental factors, and access to healthcare. As people age, their bodies become more susceptible to illness and disease. Genetics can also play a role in certain diseases and health conditions. Lifestyle choices, such as diet and exercise, can greatly impact a person's overall health. Environmental factors, such as pollution and exposure to toxins, can also contribute to death. Finally, access to healthcare can greatly affect a person's chances of surviving a health condition or illness.

Why do some people live longer than others?

There are many factors that can contribute to a longer lifespan, including genetics, lifestyle choices, access to healthcare, and socio-economic status. Genetics can play a significant role in determining a person's overall health and lifespan. Additionally, individuals who make healthy lifestyle choices, such as eating a balanced diet and exercising regularly, are more likely to live longer. Access to quality healthcare can also greatly impact a person's lifespan, as they may have access to preventative care and treatments for illnesses or diseases. Finally, socio-economic status can also play a role, as individuals with higher incomes may have better access to resources for maintaining their health.

Why do some people die at a younger age?

There are many reasons why some people may die at a younger age, including genetic predisposition to certain diseases, lifestyle choices, environmental factors, and access to healthcare. Some individuals may have genetic mutations that increase their risk for certain diseases, making them more susceptible to death at a younger age. Lifestyle choices, such as smoking and poor diet, can also greatly impact a person's health and increase their risk of premature death. Environmental factors, such as pollution and exposure to toxins, can also contribute to early death. Additionally, lack of access to quality healthcare can prevent individuals from receiving necessary treatments and lead to a higher risk of mortality.

Can a person's mindset affect their chances of survival?

While mindset alone cannot determine a person's chances of survival, it can play a role in their overall health and well-being. A positive mindset can lead to healthier lifestyle choices and better coping mechanisms for managing stress and illness. On the other hand, a negative mindset can lead to unhealthy behaviors and increased stress, which can negatively impact a person's health. However, it's important to note that mindset is just one factor and cannot completely determine a person's chances of survival.

How can we improve overall life expectancy?

There are several ways to improve overall life expectancy, including promoting healthy lifestyle choices, improving access to quality healthcare, and addressing socio-economic disparities. Encouraging individuals to make healthy lifestyle choices, such as exercising regularly and eating a balanced diet, can lead to a longer lifespan. Improving access to quality healthcare can also help diagnose and treat illnesses and diseases earlier, improving survival rates. Additionally, addressing socio-economic disparities can help ensure that all individuals have equal access to resources for maintaining their health and well-being.