Why Do Some Voltmeters Not Show 10V at Full Scale on a Potentiometer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter a3sportback54
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Potentiometer
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
a3sportback54
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
The attached graph shows an experiment I performed where I had a potentiometer connected to a DC 10V supply, the voltage across the pot was measured with 5 different voltmeters of varying internal resistance. I guess the one with the highest internal resistance, to the order of 10megohm, is the straight line, v2, am I right in thinking this?

Can anyone tell me why some of the voltmeters didnt read 10V at 100% rotation?
 

Attachments

  • pot loading.jpg
    pot loading.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 496
Engineering news on Phys.org
a3sportback54 said:
The attached graph shows an experiment I performed where I had a potentiometer connected to a DC 10V supply, the voltage across the pot was measured with 5 different voltmeters of varying internal resistance. I guess the one with the highest internal resistance, to the order of 10megohm, is the straight line, v2, am I right in thinking this?

Can anyone tell me why some of the voltmeters didnt read 10V at 100% rotation?

Did you measure the resistance between the wiper and the CW contact? If it's not zero Ohms (probably isn't), then your lower-input-impedance voltmeters may still cause a voltage drop at full CW...