Why do the extra terms cancel in the derivation of the EM field strength tensor?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
dyn
Messages
774
Reaction score
64
Hi
I am trying to follow the derivation in some notes I have for the field strength tensor using covariant derivatives defined by Du = ∂u - iqAu . The field strength is the defined by [ Du , Dv ] = -iqFuv
The given answer is Fuv = ∂uAv - ∂vAu .When I expand the commutator I get this answer but I have 2 terms left over which I presume should cancel but I don't understand why . I have the extra terms iq(Av∂u - Au∂v ) . Do these terms cancel and if so , why ?
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are forgetting that this commutator is an operator that should act on something and it should be seen as the operator commutator. The ##\partial A## terms represent first multiplying by A then differentiating. Therefore ##\partial A f = (\partial A) f + A \partial f##. Add the corresponding indices.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dyn