Why do we take the positive answer?

• Thread starter Masua
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Positive
In summary: So, in summary, when dealing with square roots of negative numbers, there are two numbers that we can square to get the number under the radical. However, conventionally, we always take the positive number for the value of the square root, just as we do with square roots of positive numbers. This is because we typically only need the positive root in physical applications. In algebra, we write the ± symbol to indicate that either the positive or negative root is valid. In arithmetic, we omit the ± symbol and just assume the positive root.
Masua
This is copied from Paul's online math notes

There is one final topic that we need to touch on before leaving this section. As we noted back in
the section on radicals even though √9=3 there are in fact two numbers that we can square to
get 9. We can square both 3 and -3.
The same will hold for square roots of negative numbers. As we saw earlier √-9=3i . As with
square roots of positive numbers in this case we are really asking what did we square to get -9?
Well it’s easy enough to check that 3i is correct.
(3i)2=9i2= -9
However, that is not the only possibility. Consider the following,
(-3i)2=(-3)2i2=9i2= -9
and so if we square -3i we will also get -9. So, when taking the square root of a negative number
there are really two numbers that we can square to get the number under the radical. However,
we will ALWAYS take the positive number for the value of the square root just as we do with the
square root of positive numbers.

Why do we do so with complex numbers and radicals?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I just had a class in Analysis.
My professor said that √ is defined to get positive number.
√9=3 that is arithmetics.
when you have x^2=9, you get x = +or -√9 = +or-3 that is algebra.
Note: in both case √9=3

For the complex number
√-9= √- * √9 = i3

I would argue that Paul's notes are incorrect.
For instance - if you followed Paul's advice literally then you'd only ever find one root of a quadratic.

It is a convention of notation only. It is not always appropriate to take tho positive root.

Sometimes we will only need the positive or negative square root as the valid physical result (we know from the physics that we started out squaring a positive of negative number). Without the convention, we would have to write a +√ or a -√ for which one we mean, and √ would allow either.

What he's doing is continuing the convention of not writing the sign of positive numbers explicitly. So we get √ for the positive root, -√ when we mean the negative root, and ±√ when we mean either. This is more convenient since we almost always only need the positive root.

Thus the quadratic equation has an explicit ± in it.

Mingfing is making a reasonable point with the distinction between algebra and arithmetic.

I should also point out that for [itex]y=x^2[/itex] then [itex]\sqrt{y}=x[/itex] is fine, and we note that x can take positive or negative values. What we may be doing is measuring x and computing/deducing √y

However, to reverse it [we have measured y and we want to find x] we'd have to write [itex]x=\pm\sqrt{y}[/itex] because [itex]\sqrt{y}[/itex], by convention, only yields positive values.

It's a little annoying since the relationship is described by the former and, as a mathematical relation, is quite fine as [itex]x=\sqrt{y}[/itex] because, algebraically, it does not matter which order you write the terms around the = sign.

Following what others have said,

we get ##\pm## when we solve equations (like Mingfeng's) because

$$x^2=9$$
$$x^2-9=0$$
$$(x-3)(x+3)=0$$
$$x=\pm3$$ which equals what we would have gotten if we just took the square root of both sides.

$$x=\pm\sqrt 9$$

1. Why do we take the positive answer?

The positive answer is often preferred because it aligns with our natural inclination towards optimism and hope. It also tends to be more desirable or appealing, leading to a more positive outcome or result.

2. Is there scientific evidence to support the idea of taking the positive answer?

Yes, there have been numerous studies that demonstrate the benefits of a positive mindset and its impact on our overall well-being, including physical health, mental health, and relationships.

3. Can taking the positive answer lead to unrealistic expectations?

While it is important to maintain a realistic perspective, taking the positive answer does not necessarily mean ignoring potential challenges or obstacles. It is about maintaining a hopeful and optimistic mindset, while also being aware of potential limitations.

4. How can taking the positive answer benefit us in our personal and professional lives?

Taking the positive answer can lead to increased motivation, resilience, and goal achievement. It can also improve our relationships, as a positive attitude can be contagious and can lead to better communication and teamwork.

5. Are there any drawbacks to always taking the positive answer?

While a positive mindset can have many benefits, it is important to also acknowledge and address negative emotions and challenges. Ignoring or suppressing negative feelings can be harmful in the long run, and it is important to find a balance between positivity and realism.