Why does a fluorescent light burn out?

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, a fluorescent light may stop working due to issues with its balast or filaments. The balast powers the bulb and can become worn out over time, causing the light to fail. Additionally, weak filaments may not be able to supply enough electrons for the light to function properly. Other factors, such as the ground plane, may also play a role in a fluorescent light's functionality.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
What causes a fluorescent light to stop working? Why can't the atoms in that gas keep jumping up and down forever?
Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
The two main reasons I know of usually deal with the balast that powers the bulb. As long as the powder and the mercury (or whatever it is now) are in the tube then it should last.

One thing I have also heard is in reference to the ground plane. I remember being told once that, the old trick to get a fluorescent to work was to drag your hand along the tube length, was an attempt to resestablish the ground plane. I can't help you with that though. Maybe an EE might chime in.

Check out here too: http://home.howstuffworks.com/fluorescent-lamp4.htm

Let's not take into account the balast aging, I think one reason for a fluorescent not working is its filaments. When the filaments get weaker, they can not supply enough electron flux for the normal operation.

1. Why do fluorescent lights burn out faster than incandescent lights?

Fluorescent lights burn out faster than incandescent lights because they use a different method of producing light. Incandescent lights use a filament that heats up and produces light, while fluorescent lights use an electric current that passes through a gas, causing the gas to emit ultraviolet light. This light then causes a phosphor coating on the inside of the bulb to glow, creating visible light. This process is more complex and involves more components, making it more susceptible to failure.

2. Can using a higher wattage bulb cause a fluorescent light to burn out faster?

Yes, using a higher wattage bulb can cause a fluorescent light to burn out faster. Fluorescent lights are designed to operate at a specific wattage, and using a higher wattage bulb can cause the components to overheat and fail. It is important to always use the recommended wattage for your fluorescent light to avoid premature burnout.

3. Why do some fluorescent lights flicker before burning out?

Fluorescent lights may flicker before burning out due to a faulty ballast. The ballast is responsible for regulating the amount of current that flows through the bulb, and when it fails, the current can fluctuate and cause flickering. Flickering is a sign that the ballast is failing and the light may burn out soon.

4. Is it normal for fluorescent lights to have a shorter lifespan than their advertised rating?

Yes, it is normal for fluorescent lights to have a shorter lifespan than their advertised rating. The lifespan of a fluorescent light is affected by many factors, such as the quality of the bulb, the frequency of use, and the conditions in which it is used. The advertised lifespan is an estimate based on ideal conditions, so it is not uncommon for a fluorescent light to burn out before reaching its advertised rating.

5. Can I extend the lifespan of a fluorescent light?

Yes, there are some steps you can take to extend the lifespan of a fluorescent light. These include using the recommended wattage, avoiding frequent on/off cycles, and keeping the light away from extreme temperatures. Regular cleaning of the bulbs and fixtures can also help prevent premature burnout. Additionally, using high-quality bulbs and fixtures can also contribute to a longer lifespan.