Why Does a Polar Plot of a Circle Only Show One Side of the Unit Circle?

In summary, when plotting a circle with a range of theta from pi/2 to -pi/2, the right side of the unit circle is shown because 0 is included in that range. To get the left side, a range from pi/2 to 3pi/2 should be used instead.
member 428835
Why is it when I plot a circle from ##\theta \in [\pi/2,-\pi/2]## I get the right side of the unit circle:

PolarPlot[1, {\[Theta], \[Pi]/2, -\[Pi]/2}]

? Shouldn't I get the left side?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. It is perfectly in order. ##\theta = 0## is the positive ##x##-axis and is part of your plot. ##\theta = \pi## is the negative ##x##-axis and is not part of your plot.

Likes jedishrfu
joshmccraney said:
Why is it when I plot a circle from ##\theta \in [\pi/2,-\pi/2]## I get the right side of the unit circle:

PolarPlot[1, {\[Theta], \[Pi]/2, -\[Pi]/2}]

? Shouldn't I get the left side?
Note that ##\theta=0## is in the range from ##\pi/2## to ##-\pi/2##, so you expect to get the side of the circle containing 0.

What you want is the range from ##\pi/2## to ##3\pi/2## which does not contain 0.

Likes member 428835
this makes tons of sense, thanks!

Related to Why Does a Polar Plot of a Circle Only Show One Side of the Unit Circle?

What is "Polar Plotting Mathematica"?

"Polar Plotting Mathematica" is a software tool used for graphing and analyzing polar coordinates and functions in the Mathematica language. It is commonly used by scientists and mathematicians for visualizing complex data and equations.

How do I use "Polar Plotting Mathematica"?

To use "Polar Plotting Mathematica", you first need to have the Mathematica software installed on your computer. Then, you can open the program and input your polar coordinates or equations using the designated syntax. The program will then generate a polar plot based on your input.

What are the benefits of using "Polar Plotting Mathematica"?

"Polar Plotting Mathematica" allows for precise and customizable polar plotting, making it useful for a wide range of scientific and mathematical applications. It also has various tools for data analysis and can handle complex equations and functions.

Can "Polar Plotting Mathematica" be used for 3D polar plots?

Yes, "Polar Plotting Mathematica" has the capability to create 3D polar plots. You can use the "PolarPlot3D" function to generate 3D plots using polar coordinates and equations.

Is "Polar Plotting Mathematica" compatible with other software?

Yes, "Polar Plotting Mathematica" is compatible with other software and can be integrated with other programming languages such as Python and C++. This allows for more advanced data analysis and visualization capabilities.