Why does Lim as x approaches infinity of x/(x-9) = 1?

• Thread starter LOLItsAJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary, the limit as x approaches infinity of x/x-9 can be evaluated by dividing both the numerator and denominator by x, simplifying, and then applying L'Hopital's rule to get a final result of 1/1 or simply 1. This is due to the fact that as x gets larger and larger, the discrepancy between x and x-9 diminishes, resulting in an approaching value of 1.
LOLItsAJ

Homework Statement

Limit as x approaches infinity of [itex]x/x-9[/itex]

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the indeterminate form infinity/infinity happens. I don't know how to fix it, but I'm assuming it's quite simple...

Physics news on Phys.org
When x is very very large, say 6 billion. The numbers 6 billion and 6 billion minus 9 are essentially the same. As x gets larger and larger, this discrepancy diminishes. The value the ratio approaches is 1.

If you wanted to be a little more rigorous, you can divide the numerator and denominator by 1/x then take the limit and see what happens. It should pop right out.

A nice trick for these types of problems would be to divide everything by x;

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{x/x}{(x/x)-(9/x)} [/tex]

Then simplify and you should be able to figure it out from there

Using L'Hopitals rule for evaluating indeterminate forms, just differentiate both the numerator and the denominator separately to produce 1/1. Xyius explains well intuitively why the result is what it is.

Related to Why does Lim as x approaches infinity of x/(x-9) = 1?

What is the limit as x approaches infinity of x/(x-9)?

The limit as x approaches infinity of x/(x-9) is equal to 1.

Why does the limit as x approaches infinity of x/(x-9) equal 1?

This can be explained by the fact that as x approaches infinity, the value of x/(x-9) also approaches 1. This is because as x gets larger and larger, the denominator (x-9) becomes insignificant in comparison to the numerator x.

How can I prove that the limit as x approaches infinity of x/(x-9) is equal to 1?

One way to prove this is by using the limit definition and showing that for any small number ε, there exists a large enough value of x such that the difference between x/(x-9) and 1 is smaller than ε.

What happens if I approach infinity from the other direction, i.e. x approaches negative infinity?

The result would still be the same, as both x and (x-9) would approach negative infinity. Therefore, the limit as x approaches negative infinity of x/(x-9) would also be equal to 1.

Are there any other values that the limit as x approaches infinity of x/(x-9) could be?

No, the limit as x approaches infinity of x/(x-9) is only equal to 1 as x approaches positive or negative infinity. This is because the function x/(x-9) has a horizontal asymptote at y=1 as x approaches infinity.