Why does log(f(x)) = log(g(x)) imply f(x) = g(x)?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Poly1
  • Start date
In summary: This also only applies to the vector space R1 I believe and proving something about polynomial space doesn't automatically follow without justification. So again, this boils down to how rigorous are we going to get. :(
Poly1
In my book/course we always assume $\log(f(x)) = \log(g(x)) \implies f(x) = g(x)$.

Could someone explain why this is true? Usually f(x) and g(x) are polynomials.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Basically, I would say it has to do with the one-to-one nature of log functions. Since there is only one output associated with a given input, then given two equal outputs, we know the inputs must also be equal.

Can we prove that $\log(x)$ is one-to-one then? For all $a,b \in\mathbb{R}^{+}$ that $\log(a) = \log(b) \implies a = b$.

Proving the uniqueness of the existence of a logarithm is something you might see in real analysis in college. That is probably overkill for what you need but a proof is sketched http://www.proofwiki.org/wiki/Existence_of_Logarithm.

How rigorous do you need your proof to be? Are you looking for an intuitive explanation for yourself or a proof?

Poly said:
Can we prove that $\log(x)$ is one-to-one then? For all $a,b \in\mathbb{R}^{+}$ that $\log(a) = \log(b) \implies a = b$.

Using differential calculus, one can demonstrate that the log function is monotonically increasing. I hesitate to use this as you have posted in the Pre-Calculus forum. At this level, it generally suffices to use the horizontal line test on the graph of the general log function and observe that for any horizontal line, the log functions intersects this line only once.

Jameson said:
Proving the uniqueness of the existence of a logarithm is something you might see in real analysis in college. That is probably overkill for what you need but a proof is sketched http://www.proofwiki.org/wiki/Existence_of_Logarithm.

How rigorous do you need your proof to be? Are you looking for an intuitive explanation for yourself or a proof?
Initially I just wanted an explanation. Now I sort of get it, but I'm tempted to learn a proof. Thanks for the link.

MarkFL said:
Using differential calculus, one can demonstrate that the log function is monotonically increasing. I hesitate to use this as you have posted in the Pre-Calculus forum. At this level, it generally suffices to use the horizontal line test on the graph of the general log function and observe that for any horizontal line, the log functions intersects this line only once.
I posted it in this section because I thought the it would be simpler but I don't mind calculus.

Poly said:
I posted it in this section because I thought the it would be simpler but I don't mind calculus.

To keep it as simple as possible, consider:

$\displaystyle f(x)=\ln(x)$ where $\displaystyle 0<x$

We see then that:

$\displaystyle f'(x)=\frac{1}{x}>0$ $\displaystyle\text{ }$ $\displaystyle\forall x\in\mathbb{R}^{+}$

This means that for all x in the domain, the log function is increasing.

A similar argument can be used for logs of other bases, via the change of base theorem. If the base is less than 1, then the function will be decreasing, but it will still be monotonic.

Thanks. So to extend this to $g(x)$ whose domain is $\mathbb{R}^+$ we would have $f'(x) = \frac{g'(x)}{g(x)} $. Why is this greater than zero?

You're right, unless the argument of the log function is itself monotonic, then there is no guarantee that the resulting composite function is also monotonic. Perhaps we can approach this from a different angle. Consider:

$\displaystyle \log_a(f(x))=\log_a(g(x))$ where $\displaystyle a\ne1$.

Convert from logarithmic to exponential form:

$\displaystyle f(x)=a^{\log_a(g(x))}=g(x)$

Poly said:
Here is another way. Suppose that $e$ is the base, (really it can be a genetic base).

[tex]\begin{align*}\log(a)&=\log(b)\\ e^a &=e^b \\e^{a-b} &=1\\ a-b&=0\\a &= b \end{align*}[/tex].

Plato said:
Here is another way. Suppose that $e$ is the base, (really it can be a genetic base).

[tex]\begin{align*}\log(a)&=\log(b)\\ e^a &=e^b \\e^{a-b} &=1\\ a-b&=0\\a &= b \end{align*}[/tex].
Thanks. But that relies on $e^{a} = e^{b} \implies a = b$. (Thinking)

Plato said:

How do you get $a-b = 0$? I see that $e^{0} = 1$ but that amounts to using we're using what we're proving.

Poly said:
How do you get $a-b = 0$? I see that $e^{0} = 1$ but that amounts to using we're using what we're proving.

It's using the fact that given a base, $b>1$ and, and \(\displaystyle b^x=1\), then $x=0$ is a unique solution to this. However, using this fact without proof is not rigorous and needs to be proven. I don't think you're going to see an answer that is truly rigorous without going into some high level math like in the link I gave you.

This also only applies to the vector space R1 I believe and proving something about polynomial space doesn't automatically follow without justification. So again, this boils down to how rigorous are we going to get. :(

I think it's great though you are pursuing this proof!

Poly said:
How do you get $a-b = 0$? I sey that $e^{0} = 1$ but that amounts to using we're using what we're proving.
Absolutely it does not.

Any mathematically literate person knows that
[tex]\text{If }b\ne 0\text{ and }b^x=1\text{ if and only if }x=0[/tex] .

Last edited:
Plato,

Isn't it also necessary to exclude $b=1$ and $b=-1$?

Jameson said:
Plato,

Isn't it also necessary to exclude $b=1$ and $b=-1$?

That is a very good point.

this proof relies on two facts (the proof of these two facts is another story):

1) $\log_a(x) - \log_a(y) = \log_a(\frac{x}{y})$

2) $a^x = y$ when $\log_a(y) = x$ <--this is really saying $\log_a$ is 1-1, more on that later.

(this is often given as the definition of log (base a) of y: the number you have to exponentiate a by to get y).

now if:

$\log_a(x) = \log_a(y)$

$\log_a(\frac{x}{y}) = \log_a(x) - \log_a(y) = 0$

so:

$a^{\log_a(\frac{x}{y})} = a^0$

that is:

$\frac{x}{y} = 1$

which means:

$x = y$.

to be honest, there's a degree of "circularity" in this argument: we use the fact that $\log_a$ is an inverse function to exponentiation by a (functions with inverses have to be 1-1). to avoid that, we need a better definition of $\log_a$.

the most "practical" definition (in terms of avoiding self-reference) is:

$$\log(x) = \int_1^x \dfrac{1}{t}\ dt$$

then one can PROVE that:

$\log(ab) = \log(a) + \log(b)$ (*)

and that $\log$ (note the absence of an indicated base) is an increasing function (and thus has an inverse) on $(0,\infty)$.

the proof of (*) is interesting, so i'll give it here:

$$\log(ab) = \int_1^{ab} \dfrac{1}{t}\ dt = \int_1^a \dfrac{1}{t}\ dt + \int_a^{ab} \dfrac{1}{t}\ dt = \log(a) + \int_a^{ab} \frac{1}{t}\ dt$$

to evaluate the second integral, we make a "u-substitution":

let $u = \dfrac{t}{a}$, so that $du = \dfrac{1}{a}\ dt$

as $t$ goes from $a$ to $ab$, $u$ goes from 1 to $b$ so:

$$\int_a^{ab} \frac{1}{t}\ dt = \int_1^b \frac{a}{au}\ du = \int_1^b \frac{1}{u}\ du = \log(b)$$

it should be clear that $\log$ defined this way is increasing, so it ought to have an inverse defined on its range (ignoring, for the moment, just what its range might be). let's call this function $g$.

suppose $x = \log(a)$, $y = \log(b)$ which means:

$g(x) = a, g(y) = b$.

then: $x + y = \log(a) + \log(b) = \log(ab)$, so:

$g(x+y) = g(\log(ab)) = ab = g(x)g(y)$.

so $g$ "acts like" it's some function $c^x$ for some $c$. what might $c$ be?

well, $c^1 = c$ so we should have:

$$1 = \log(c) = \int_1^c \frac{1}{t}\ dt$$

this only gives a definition of "log" (no base). can you figure out how you would get to "$\log_a$"(with a base)?

as other have pointed out, $\log(f(x))$ may not be a 1-1 function. BUT...

if $\log \circ f = \log \circ g,\ \forall x \in \Bbb R$

we can conclude that:

$f(x) = g(x),\ \forall x \in \Bbb R$, hence $f = g$.

it could happen that $\log(f(x))$ is undefined, for certain $x$. in that case, we can only be sure that $f = g$ for those $x$ where the logs ARE defined. so sometimes one has to consider $|f(x)|$ and $|g(x)|$ instead.

1. Why is the log of two functions equal to each other?

The log of two functions is equal to each other when their outputs, or y-values, are equal. This is because the logarithm function is the inverse of the exponential function, meaning it "undoes" the effects of the exponential function. If the outputs of two functions are equal, it means that the exponential function was applied to the same value, resulting in the same output.

2. Can log(f(x)) = log(g(x)) for any values of x?

Yes, log(f(x)) = log(g(x)) can be true for any values of x as long as f(x) and g(x) have the same outputs. This means that the values of x may be different for each function, but when plugged in, they produce the same result.

3. Is the statement log(f(x)) = log(g(x)) equivalent to f(x) = g(x)?

No, the statement log(f(x)) = log(g(x)) does not necessarily mean that f(x) = g(x). It only implies that for the specific values of x that satisfy the equation, the outputs of the functions are equal. However, there may be other values of x for which f(x) and g(x) are not equal.

4. Can the equation log(f(x)) = log(g(x)) be used to solve for x?

It depends on the specific situation and the form of the functions f(x) and g(x). In some cases, it may be possible to solve for x using the equation log(f(x)) = log(g(x)). However, in other cases, the equation may not be easily solvable and additional steps or information may be needed.

5. What is the significance of log(f(x)) = log(g(x)) in mathematics?

The equation log(f(x)) = log(g(x)) is significant in mathematics because it indicates that the two functions f(x) and g(x) have the same outputs for certain values of x. This can help in simplifying equations, identifying equivalent expressions, and solving for unknown variables.