Why Does My Electron Energy Calculation Keep Failing?

• Thread starter brandon26
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, the energy of an electron is the work required to move it in an electric field, and it is directly related to its position in an atom. The energy level of an electron is determined by its principal quantum number, and it can be changed by absorbing or emitting photons of light. The energy of an electron is not constant and can be affected by its interactions with other particles or electromagnetic fields.
brandon26
The kinetic energy of an electron is 2.00 eV. Find the wavelength.

I used E=h(c/n) where n=wavelength.
But the answer comes out wrong, please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
did you use the correct value for Plank's constant (h)? Since you have energy in units of eV, you should use 4.14 x 10^-15 eVs.

I would like to clarify that the formula you have used, E=h(c/n), is used to calculate the energy of a photon, not an electron. The energy of an electron is typically calculated using the formula E= 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the electron and v is its velocity.

However, if we assume that the given value of 2.00 eV is indeed the kinetic energy of the electron, we can use the formula E=hc/λ to find the wavelength. Rearranging the formula, we get λ=hc/E.

Substituting the values, we get λ= (6.626 x 10^-34 J.s)(3.00 x 10^8 m/s)/(2.00 eV x 1.602 x 10^-19 J/eV) = 3.94 x 10^-7 m or 394 nm.

It is important to note that the given value of 2.00 eV may not be the kinetic energy of the electron, as it is much lower than the typical kinetic energy of an electron in an atom. Therefore, I would recommend double-checking the given value or providing more context for a more accurate calculation.

Related to Why Does My Electron Energy Calculation Keep Failing?

1. What is the definition of the energy of an electron?

The energy of an electron is the amount of work required to move an electron from a reference point to its current position in an electric field.

2. How is the energy of an electron related to its position in an atom?

The energy of an electron is directly related to its position in an atom. The farther an electron is from the nucleus, the higher its energy level. This is because the electron is held less tightly by the positive charge of the nucleus at a greater distance.

3. What determines the energy level of an electron in an atom?

The energy level of an electron in an atom is determined by its principal quantum number, which corresponds to the electron's energy level. The higher the principal quantum number, the higher the energy level of the electron.

4. How can the energy of an electron be changed?

The energy of an electron can be changed by absorbing or emitting photons of light. When an electron absorbs energy from a photon, it can move to a higher energy level. Conversely, when an electron emits energy in the form of a photon, it moves to a lower energy level.

5. Is the energy of an electron constant?

No, the energy of an electron is not constant. It can change depending on its interactions with other particles or electromagnetic fields. For example, when an electron is in a strong electric field, its energy will increase, and when it is in a weak electric field, its energy will decrease.