Why Do Shadows Bend When Objects Come Close Together?

• Thread starter ariou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shadow
In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of shadows bending and getting mixed up when two objects are brought close together without touching. The concept of light diffraction and reflection is also mentioned as an explanation for why shadows are not completely dark, especially when there are multiple light sources. The speaker also shares a personal observation about how moving one's head can make the background image appear stretched. They apologize for any language barriers and provide a sketch to clarify their point.
ariou
good morning/evening/afternoon everyone. i always wanted to know why does shadow bends? if you hold any 2 objects togather and from distance, slowly bring them togather but never touch, at some poing the shadows start getting mixed up..

for instance if you point your index fingers and bring them togather, this thing happens.

i also noticed something while i was seating on my computer chair. if you have a sharp edge of something, and about 6<x more feet away is sorounding, if you cover one of your eye and look very carefully with the other one, and slowly move your head left to right, you will see the background image is getting streched. sorry for my english i have sketched a picture to make it more clarify

thank you everyone

Attachments

• line of sight.png
    line of sight.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
Light diffracts and reflects. If I put my hand up to a light and see a shadow, I notice that the shadow isn't completely dark, even if I only have 1 light source. This is because the light diffracts around the obstacle that is my hand, and it reflects off other surfaces. Add to that multiple light sources, and the definition of the shadow will tend to blur (sometimes making two shadows, or one dark one and a lighter outline, etc).

1. Why do shadows bend?

Shadows bend because of the way light travels. When light hits an object, it can either be absorbed, transmitted, or reflected. When it is reflected, the angle of the light changes, causing the shadow to bend.

2. How does the angle of light affect shadow bending?

The angle of light plays a crucial role in shadow bending. The more oblique the angle of light, the longer the shadow will appear. This is because the light has to travel a longer distance to reach the object, causing the shadow to stretch.

3. What causes shadows to appear shorter or longer?

Shadows can appear shorter or longer depending on the position of the light source and the object casting the shadow. If the light source is closer to the object, the shadow will appear shorter. If the light source is farther away, the shadow will appear longer.

4. Why do shadows appear distorted?

Shadows can appear distorted due to the shape or texture of the object casting the shadow. If the object is not flat or has uneven surfaces, the shadow will also be distorted. Additionally, the angle of the light can also contribute to distortion.

5. Can shadows bend in different directions?

Yes, shadows can bend in different directions depending on the angle of the light and the position of the object casting the shadow. If the light source is coming from a different angle, the shadow will bend in that direction as well.