Why does taking the logarithm of both sides not work?

In summary: These are two very different questions and so the answers will be different. In summary, when differentiating an equation, you are not finding solutions to the original equation, but rather finding the points where the slope of the functions are equal.
Hypercubes
Homework Statement
Differentiate [itex]x=e^{-x}[/itex]

The attempt at a solution
[tex]\ln{x}=\ln{e^{-x}}[/tex]
[tex]\ln{x}=-x[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\ln{x}\right)=\frac{d}{dx}\left(-x\right)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{x}=-1[/tex]

The correct answer is [itex]1+e^{-x}[/itex]. I know how to solve it that way; however, why is the above method wrong? I know there are usually two variables, but I can't see any mathematical errors in my method.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hypercubes! :smile:
Hypercubes said:
Differentiate [itex]x=e^{-x}[/itex]

The correct answer is [tex]1+e^{-x}[/tex].

Obviously a misprint, for "Differentiate [itex]x-e^{-x}[/itex]" :wink:

Well, the exact question was "explain why the equation [itex]e^{-x} = x[/itex] has exactly one solution", and the answer goes on to define [itex]f(x) = x-e^{-x}[/itex] and says "Since [itex]f'(x) = 1 + e^{-x}[/itex], and [itex]1 + e^{-x} > 0[/itex] for all x, the function f is increasing..."

So they set it to 0 to get the derivative. However, why was the method I used not valid?

Last edited:
Your expression, [itex]x=e^{-x}[/itex] is just that -- an expression. You cannot treat it as a function. In particular, you can't differentiate both sides and expect something meaningful to pop out. What you can do is to rewrite it as [itex]x-e^{-x} = 0[/itex], and now the quantity on the right hand side [itex]f(x)=x-e^{-x}[/itex] can be treated as a function. You aren't differentiating both sides of [itex]f(x)=0[/itex]. Just one.

Ah, I see. Thanks you both!

As a simple example. Take the equation 3x-2=x. This equation has 1 solution x=1. If you differentiate both sides though, you get 3=1 which is obviously not true.

This is because the undifferentiated equation is asking a fundamentally different question than the differentiated equation. The equation 3x-2=x is asking "When is the function f(x)=3x-2 equal to the function g(x)=x?" While the differentiated equation is asking "When is the slope of the function f(x) equal to the slope of the function g(x)?"

1. Why can't I take the logarithm of both sides of an equation?

Taking the logarithm of both sides of an equation can lead to incorrect or nonsensical results. This is because logarithms have certain rules and restrictions that must be followed in order for them to work properly. When you take the logarithm of both sides, you may be breaking one or more of these rules, leading to an invalid solution.

2. What are the rules for taking the logarithm of an equation?

The most important rule for taking the logarithm of an equation is that both sides must be positive. This is because logarithms are only defined for positive numbers. Additionally, the base of the logarithm must be specified and be the same on both sides of the equation. Finally, the equation must be in a valid form for logarithms, such as an exponential equation.

3. Can I take the logarithm of both sides if the equation contains variables?

No, you cannot take the logarithm of both sides if the equation contains variables. This is because logarithms only work for specific values, and variables represent a range of values. Therefore, taking the logarithm of both sides would not yield a single, accurate solution.

4. Is there ever a situation where taking the logarithm of both sides is acceptable?

There are certain situations where taking the logarithm of both sides can be acceptable. This is typically when the equation is already in a form that follows the rules of logarithms, such as an exponential equation with a positive base. In these cases, taking the logarithm of both sides can help simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

5. Are there any alternative methods to taking the logarithm of both sides?

Yes, there are alternative methods to taking the logarithm of both sides. One method is to use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation in a different form that is easier to solve. Another method is to use other mathematical operations, such as exponentiation, to isolate the variable. It is important to always follow the rules and restrictions of logarithms to ensure accurate solutions.