Why does the existence of the Higgs Field require a Higgs Particle?

In summary: This particle is the Higgs boson. In summary, The Higgs field imparts "mass" on particles by "eating" certain degrees of freedom, leaving one remaining degree of freedom that becomes the Higgs boson. This is similar to how the EM field implies the existence of a photon.
imsmooth
I believe I understand how the Higgs field imparts "mass" on a particle. Would someone explain how the existence of the Higgs Field means there has to be a Higgs Particle?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the same way that the EM field implies the existence of a photon.

You have marked this thread "A", indicating that you have a graduate level understanding already. In that case, exactly which step in the quantisation of a scalar field do you find questionable?

Any field in physics has an associated particle. For instance electron field, EM field (photons), sound field (phonons), W boson field. All these are linear and support wave solutions, therefore wave packet solutions. I.e., a so-called "particle". There's more to it, but that's the basic idea. There's nothing special about Higgs field in that regard although spin 0 makes the details a bit different.

I should have marked my understanding as "I".

Don't photons create their EM field? Isn't the EM field there because of the photons? So, if the Higgs is so rare because of its short existence, how does it create its field? It is probably my lack of understanding of if the particle creates the field or the existence of the particle implies a field exists.

imsmooth said:
I should have marked my understanding as "I".
Fixed it.
Don't photons create their EM field? Isn't the EM field there because of the photons?
It's the other way around. We have an EM field, and when we quantize it we discover that it supports quantized excitations that we call "photons". There's a pretty decent overview (but not even close to being a substitute for a real textbook) at:
http://www.physics.usu.edu/torre/3700_Spring_2015/What_is_a_photon.pdf

imsmooth said:
I believe I understand how the Higgs field imparts "mass" on a particle. Would someone explain how the existence of the Higgs Field means there has to be a Higgs Particle?
It is a counting argument. The massive particles obtain their mass because they "eat" certain degrees of freedom of the Higgs field. At the end this leaves you with one remaining degree of freedom, which shows itself as a dynamical field on its own. After quantizing it, you get a particle from this, similar to how one obtains a photon from an EM-field.

1. What is the Higgs Field?

The Higgs Field is a theoretical field that is thought to give particles their mass by interacting with them. It is a fundamental part of the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. What is the Higgs Particle?

The Higgs Particle, also known as the Higgs Boson, is a particle that is thought to be responsible for the Higgs Field. Its existence was confirmed in 2012 by the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.

3. How does the Higgs Field give particles their mass?

The Higgs Field interacts with particles, giving them a resistance or "drag" as they move through it. This resistance results in the particles having mass.

4. Why is the discovery of the Higgs Particle important?

The discovery of the Higgs Particle confirmed the existence of the Higgs Field and helped to validate the Standard Model. It also provided a deeper understanding of how particles acquire mass.

5. How is the Higgs Field related to the concept of the Higgs Mechanism?

The Higgs Mechanism is a theory that explains how particles acquire mass through interactions with the Higgs Field. It is a key component of the Standard Model and helps to explain the origins of mass in the universe.