Why does the limit(n->∞) sqrt(n)/(sqrt(n)+sqrt(n+1)) equal 1/(1+sqrt(1-1/n))?

• Thread starter h0p3d545
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the author is trying to solve a limit comparison test problem but is unfamiliar with the format the solution uses. The author finds an equation that can be simplified to 1/(sqrt(n/n)+sqrt(n/n+1/n)), and thanks the person helping him.
h0p3d545

Homework Statement

I am studying for a calculus test tomorrow on this website (http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/6/index.html). I am working on the limit comparison test problems but I am unfamiliar with the form they use in their solutions. For example:
Limit comparison test (prove convergence / divergence)
Series (from n=1 to ∞) 1/(sqrt(n)+sqrt(n+1))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Series (from n=1 to ∞) 1/(sqrt(n)+sqrt(n+1)) compare to Series (from n=1 to ∞) 1/sqrt(n), which we know diverges by the p-series test (p=.5, p<1)
Let an = 1/(sqrt(n)+sqrt(n+1)) and bn = 1/sqrt(n)
lim(n->∞) an/bn
= lim(n->∞) 1/(sqrt(n)+sqrt(n+1)) / 1/sqrt(n)
= lim(n->∞) sqrt(n)/(sqrt(n)+sqrt(n+1))

I can see why this limit is 1/2 but I don't understand how the solution to the problem ended up in the form
lim(n->∞) 1/(1+sqrt(1-1/n)) = 1/2
I can tell by the other solutions that this form is a rule of sorts but I don't know what it is.
Thank you for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
h0p3d545 said:

Homework Statement

I am studying for a calculus test tomorrow on this website (http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/6/index.html). I am working on the limit comparison test problems but I am unfamiliar with the form they use in their solutions. For example:
Limit comparison test (prove convergence / divergence)
Series (from n=1 to ∞) 1/(sqrt(n)+sqrt(n+1))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Series (from n=1 to ∞) 1/(sqrt(n)+sqrt(n+1)) compare to Series (from n=1 to ∞) 1/sqrt(n), which we know diverges by the p-series test (p=.5, p<1)
Let an = 1/(sqrt(n)+sqrt(n+1)) and bn = 1/sqrt(n)
lim(n->∞) an/bn
= lim(n->∞) 1/(sqrt(n)+sqrt(n+1)) / 1/sqrt(n)
= lim(n->∞) sqrt(n)/(sqrt(n)+sqrt(n+1))

I can see why this limit is 1/2 but I don't understand how the solution to the problem ended up in the form
lim(n->∞) 1/(1+sqrt(1-1/n)) = 1/2
I can tell by the other solutions that this form is a rule of sorts but I don't know what it is.
Thank you for the help.
Factor ##\sqrt{n}## from the two terms of ##\sqrt{n}## + ##\sqrt{n + 1}##.

OH. so if you multiply
sqrt(n)/(sqrt(n)+sqrt(n+1)) by (1/sqrt(n))/(1/sqrt(n)) you get 1/(sqrt(n)+sqrt(n+1))/sqrt(n) which can simplify to 1/(sqrt(n/n)+sqrt(n/n+1/n)) or 1/(1+sqrt(1+1/n))

h0p3d545 said:
OH. so if you multiply
sqrt(n)/(sqrt(n)+sqrt(n+1)) by (1/sqrt(n))/(1/sqrt(n)) you get 1/(sqrt(n)+sqrt(n+1))/sqrt(n) which can simplify to 1/(sqrt(n/n)+sqrt(n/n+1/n)) or 1/(1+sqrt(1+1/n))
No, it's simpler than that. Just factor ##\sqrt{n}## out of the numerator and denominator. The ##\sqrt{n}## factors can be cancelled, and you're left with the form you see in the solution.

Oh, ok. I understand. Thank you!

Related to Why does the limit(n->∞) sqrt(n)/(sqrt(n)+sqrt(n+1)) equal 1/(1+sqrt(1-1/n))?

1. What is the limit as n approaches infinity for sqrt(n)/(sqrt(n)+sqrt(n+1))?

The limit is equal to 1/(1+sqrt(1-1/n)) or approximately 0.7071.

2. Why does the limit approach this particular value?

As n approaches infinity, the terms sqrt(n) and sqrt(n+1) become very similar in value. This means that the fraction becomes equivalent to 1/(1+1), which simplifies to 1/2 or 0.5. However, since we are taking the square root of n and n+1, the value will be slightly larger than 0.5, which is why the limit is approximately 0.7071.

3. Can you explain the mathematical reasoning behind this limit?

The limit can be explained by using the concept of L'Hopital's Rule. By taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator, the limit can be rewritten as the limit of (1/2)/((1/2)+(1/2√(n+1))). As n approaches infinity, the denominator becomes very similar to the numerator, resulting in the limit equaling 1/2, or approximately 0.5. However, since we are taking the square root of n and n+1, the value will be slightly larger than 0.5, which is why the limit is approximately 0.7071.

4. How is this limit relevant in the field of science?

This limit is relevant in many areas of science, particularly in calculus, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve problems involving limits, sequences, and series, as well as in the calculation of rates of change and approximations. In physics, it can be applied to problems involving motion, such as calculating the velocity of an object at a specific point in time.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this limit?

Yes, this limit has real-world applications in various fields, such as finance, economics, and biology. In finance and economics, the limit can be used to calculate interest rates and growth rates, while in biology, it can be used to model population growth. It can also be applied in computer science to optimize algorithms and in data analysis to estimate values and trends.