Why does this tern equal 0?

• Thread starter Baggio
  • Start date
In summary, the term in the bracket equals 0 because it represents the sum of exponential points in the complex plane, which form the vertices of a regular polygon. This means that the vectors must add up to zero, unless c is a multiple of q/r.
Baggio
URGENT: Why does this tern = 0??

Can anyone tell me why the term in the bracket = 0??

where i= root -1 and all vars are integers

I'm at a loss :-/

Attachments

• equation.gif
    equation.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 492
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Each exponential in the sum represents a point in the complex plane and if you look at the terms carefully you will see that the set of points comprise the vertices of a regular polygon. Think of each point as being a vector from the origin to the given point. Being the vertices of a regular polygon, the vectors must add to zero! That is, unless c is a multiple of q/r in which case all the vertices converge to a single point.

Hehe, ok I think that makes sense.. thanks

Why does this tern = 0?

The value of a tern (a type of variable in computer programming) being equal to 0 could be due to a variety of reasons. It could be because the tern was explicitly set to 0 by the programmer, or it could be the result of a mathematical operation that yielded 0. It could also be a default value for a tern that has not been assigned a value yet.

Can a tern ever be equal to 0?

Yes, a tern can be equal to 0. In computer programming, terns (also known as boolean values) can have two possible values: True or False. 0 is often used to represent False, so a tern being equal to 0 means that it has been assigned the value of False.

Why is it important to understand why a tern is equal to 0?

Understanding why a tern is equal to 0 is important because it can help with troubleshooting and identifying potential errors in code. It can also affect the outcome of a program, as certain operations or conditions may rely on the value of a tern being 0 or not.

Is there a way to change the value of a tern from 0 to something else?

Yes, the value of a tern can be changed from 0 to something else. This can be done by assigning a new value to the tern, either through a mathematical operation or by explicitly setting it to a different value in the code.

What are some common scenarios where a tern could be equal to 0?

A tern could be equal to 0 in many different scenarios. For example, if a tern is used to represent a condition in a program and that condition is not met, the tern may be equal to 0. It could also be the result of an if/else statement or a comparison operation that evaluates to False.