Why Does Vqp Need to be Tangential to Vq in Order for Q to Get Closest to P?

In summary, relative motion is the concept of describing an object's movement in relation to another object or frame of reference. It differs from absolute motion, which refers to an object's movement in relation to a fixed point. The perception of relative motion can change depending on the observer's frame of reference. This concept has many real-life applications, such as in physics, astronomy, and engineering. In physics, it is used to analyze the motion of objects and solve complex problems by considering the relative motion between objects.
Jas
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/221718 Say if we have two particles P, and Q, traveling at velocities Vp and Vq respectively. If it is IMPOSSIBLE for Q to collide with P, let us find the distance of closest approach. So from the frame of reference of P, itself is stationary, and Q is moving at Vqp (velocity of q relative to p). In order to get the closest to P, the velocity of Q (Vq) can take a locus of velocities, forming the shape of a circle of radius mod(Vq).

Why is it that in order for Q to get the CLOSEST to P, Vqp has to be tangential to Vq from the circle?This is in 2 dimensions, and by collide, I mean intercept

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Jas said:
Say if we have two particles P, and Q, traveling at velocities Vp and Vq respectively. If it is IMPOSSIBLE for Q to collide with P, let us find the distance of closest approach. So from the frame of reference of P, itself is stationary, and Q is moving at Vqp (velocity of q relative to p). In order to get the closest to P, the velocity of Q (Vq) can take a locus of velocities, forming the shape of a circle of radius mod(Vq).

Why is it that in order for Q to get the CLOSEST to P, Vqp has to be tangential to Vq from the circle?This is in 2 dimensions, and by collide, I mean intercept
Without a diagram, you've certainly lost me.

Since you are talking about circles, you must be talking about planar motion. If you are mention a locus of velocities forming a circle, you must be talking about a fixed relative speed with an unknown direction. But in order to get "closest" to P, the relative velocity of Q must simply be antiparallel to the displacement of Q from P. No mystery and no tangents there.

If you want to hit something that's motionless: aim directly at it.

Edit: I see that kuruman has assumed that this is an intercept problem. You are launching a projectile from Q at P with some fixed speed (relative to Q - a bullet?) (relative to an absolute frame - a torpedo?)

Last edited:
Jas said:
Why is it that in order for Q to get the CLOSEST to P, Vqp has to be tangential to Vq from the circle?
Because the closest distance between a point and a straight line is the perpendicular from the point to the line. Furthermore, the tangent to a circle is perpendicular to the radius. So the perpendicular from the point to the line is the radius of the circle.

On edit: The radius of that circle is also called the impact parameter, look it up.

Likes jedishrfu
jbriggs444 said:
Without a diagram, you've certainly lost me.

Since you are talking about circles, you must be talking about planar motion. If you are mention a locus of velocities forming a circle, you must be talking about a fixed relative speed with an unknown direction. But in order to get "closest" to P, the relative velocity of Q must simply be antiparallel to the displacement of Q from P. No mystery and no tangents there.

If you want to hit something that's motionless: aim directly at it.

Edit: I see that kuruman has assumed that this is an intercept problem. You are launching a projectile from Q at P with some fixed speed (relative to Q - a bullet?) (relative to an absolute frame - a torpedo?)

I've added a diagram. As you can see, qVp (same thing as Vqp) is tangential to the locus of Vq

kuruman said:
Because the closest distance between a point and a straight line is the perpendicular from the point to the line. Furthermore, the tangent to a circle is perpendicular to the radius. So the perpendicular from the point to the line is the radius of the circle.

On edit: The radius of that circle is also called the impact parameter, look it up.
But we're talking about the tangent between two velocity vectors

Jas said:
But we're talking about the tangent between two velocity vectors
I am not sure what this is. Anyway, posting the problem that relates to your question clarifies the situation. I will have to think about the answer to your question, but now I have to sign off for a few hours. Perhaps someone else will be able to help you.

Related to Why Does Vqp Need to be Tangential to Vq in Order for Q to Get Closest to P?

1) What is relative motion?

Relative motion is the concept of describing the movement of an object in relation to another object or frame of reference. It involves observing and understanding the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object as it moves through space.

2) How is relative motion different from absolute motion?

Absolute motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to a fixed point or reference frame, such as the Earth's surface. Relative motion, on the other hand, takes into account the movement of both objects in relation to one another.

3) How does the perception of relative motion change depending on the observer's frame of reference?

The perception of relative motion can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference. For example, two objects moving at the same velocity may appear to be moving at different speeds if the observer is in a different frame of reference.

4) What are some real-life applications of the relative motion concept?

The relative motion concept is used in various fields, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. It is applied in the design of vehicles, understanding the motion of celestial bodies, and analyzing the movement of particles in a fluid.

5) How can the relative motion concept be used to solve problems in physics?

In physics, the relative motion concept is used to analyze the motion of objects and predict their future movements. By considering the relative motion between objects, equations and principles such as Newton's laws of motion can be applied to solve complex problems involving multiple moving objects.