Why doesn't the glass move when I pull the tablecloth from under it?

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a glass of water stays put when the table cloth is quickly pulled from underneath it. The question of what causes this phenomenon is raised, with the suggestion to consider the forces at play during the pulling process. The possibility of the glass moving in the opposite direction is also mentioned.
Missyyy
Hey guys. So I have this question about this scenario..
If I have a glass of water on a table and I quickly pull the table cloth from under the glass, the glass stays put. I can't get my head around this. What causes this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Missyyy said:
Hey guys. So I have this question about this scenario..
If I have a glass of water on a table and I quickly pull the table cloth from under the glass, the glass stays put. I can't get my head around this. What causes this?
We'll a magician never reveals his or her secrets. But Science and Magic are never in conflict, so you might want to consider what forces acts on the glass during the pulling operation, and the duration of those forces.

Ask about the other direction: why should the glass move (significantly)?

What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the relationship between the forces acting on an object and its motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are considered the foundation of classical mechanics.

What is the first law of motion?

The first law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the second law of motion?

The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, the larger the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive the object, the less it will accelerate.

What is the third law of motion?

The third law, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when a force is applied to an object, the object will exert an equal force in the opposite direction.

How do Newton's Laws of Motion relate to real-life situations?

Newton's Laws of Motion can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, the motion of a ball being thrown, the movement of a car on a road, or the force of gravity pulling objects towards the Earth are all examples of these laws in action. Understanding these laws can help us predict and explain the behavior of objects in our physical world.