Why don't bowed musical instruments deaden their sound?

In summary, bowing a stringed instrument involves a complex interaction between static and sliding friction, as well as the use of rosin to reduce friction. The vibrations produced by the bow travel along the string to create sound in the bridge and body, not in the strings of the bow itself. The pressure applied to the bow also affects the sound produced, with too tight or loose horsehair or an excess of horsehair affecting the quality of the sound. The use of bridges and boxes in the instrument is to vary the length of the string and act as resonators, not as producers of vibrations. Diagrams can be helpful in understanding this concept.
RonArt
Horsehair is a string of tiny bead-shaped growths -- from what I have read. Even that slides over strings until rosin allows the "beads" to grab temporarily. But if one bead pulls and releases the string, wouldn't the other strings in the horsehair "hank" dampen that sound? It obviously doesn't but I don't get why. TIA.

Physics news on Phys.org
The vibrations are traveling along the string of the instrument to produce sounds in the bridge and body, not in the strings of the bow. If the hairs are too tight/loose or the bow has an excess of hairs, then sound quality will ultimately be affected (by preventing it from catching the string).

RonArt said:
Horsehair is a string of tiny bead-shaped growths -- from what I have read. Even that slides over strings until rosin allows the "beads" to grab temporarily. But if one bead pulls and releases the string, wouldn't the other strings in the horsehair "hank" dampen that sound? It obviously doesn't but I don't get why. TIA.

Let us analyse the action of bowing in detail:

As the bow drags across the string, the string is pulled slightly to the side, because static friction is greater than string tension.

At the dragged point where the horizontal component of string tension becomes greater than static friction, the string returns to its original position and moves further the other way, because the string tension creates a harmonic motion;

The bow slides across (sliding friction is smaller than tension)

But instead of the harmonic motion dying out, at some point the horizontal component of tension will get small enough due to the decreasing amplitude of the harmonic motion and thus the sliding friction becomes greater; the string stops on the bow, and static friction takes over.The above cycle, repeated per bow movement, produces a complex musical wave pattern. And the bow (horsehairs with resin) does not deaden the sound produced.

Moreover the player always varies the pressure of bow on the string such that the frictional forces are adjusted.

for detail pictures pl.see
<http://www.erhuphysics.net78.net/bowing.htm>

Last edited by a moderator:
Fervent Freyja said:
to produce sounds in the bridge and body, not in the strings of the bow.

i think the sound waves are produced in the strings which are being bowed
and the box and the bridges do not 'originally' are producers of vibrations
The bridges are used to vary the length of the string and Box is used as resonators for the sound being produced..

drvrm said:
i think the sound waves are produced in the strings which are being bowed
and the box and the bridges do not 'originally' are producers of vibrations
The bridges are used to vary the length of the string and Box is used as resonators for the sound being produced..

You don't say!

The rosin also plays a big part in the stick/slip behavior described above. Under sliding friction the rosin melts and reduces friction. When the sliding stops the rosin "freezes" and sticks the hair and string together even more strongly. The pressure on the bow actually affects the torsion mode of the string and keeps the stick/slip phase locked with the traveling wave mode.

I went to a violin shop today and the salesman demonstrated this with a "clean" bow over a violin string -- very little sound. Then, the same with rosin applied to the bow -- very rich sound. The string was vibrating in its complete 1st harmonic; that is, the bow was only contributing to vibrating the violin string and was not dampening the length of the string. The salesman bowed near the bridge, at mid-point, and over the fingerboard: same results. So I guess the answer that mentions one force in the horsehair being temporarily stronger that other forces in the horsehair makes sense (I think). Thanks to all. BTW, this question and the answers are in a tough concept to describe without diagrams.

Ah, found drvrm's diagrams and write-up at http://erhuphysics.net78.net/bowing.htm. The link to <http://www.erhuphysics.net78.net/bowing.htm%3E was no longer active. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why do bowed musical instruments produce sustained sound?

Bowed musical instruments produce sustained sound because of the way they are played. When a bow is drawn across the strings of an instrument, it causes the strings to vibrate. These vibrations create sound waves that continue until the bow is lifted or the strings stop vibrating naturally.

2. How do bowed musical instruments produce different pitches?

Bowed musical instruments produce different pitches by changing the length, tension, and thickness of the strings. When a string is shorter and/or tighter, it will vibrate at a higher frequency and produce a higher pitch. When a string is longer and/or looser, it will vibrate at a lower frequency and produce a lower pitch.

3. Why don't bowed musical instruments deaden their sound?

Bowed musical instruments do not deaden their sound because of the materials used to make them. The body of the instrument, typically made of wood, is designed to amplify and project the sound produced by the strings. Additionally, the strings themselves are made of materials that allow for vibrations to continue without being dampened.

4. What is the difference between bowed and plucked musical instruments?

The main difference between bowed and plucked musical instruments is the way they produce sound. Bowed instruments, as mentioned before, produce sound by drawing a bow across the strings and causing them to vibrate. Plucked instruments, on the other hand, produce sound by plucking or strumming the strings directly with the fingers or a pick.

5. Do all bowed musical instruments produce the same sound?

No, not all bowed musical instruments produce the same sound. The size, shape, and materials used to make the instrument can greatly affect the sound produced. For example, a smaller violin will produce a higher pitch than a larger cello, and a violin made of different types of wood may have a slightly different tone than another violin made of the same type of wood.