1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why field lines are tangent to direction of electric forces

1. Jun 10, 2010 #1
    can any body tell me why electric field of lines are tangent to direction of electric force

please be fast need it urgently..........

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2010 #2
    They are not "at a tangent". Electric field lines point in the direction of the electric force on a positive charge. They do this by definition.

Do you mean electric potential lines, perhaps?

4. Jun 10, 2010 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

It would be better stated the other way around: the electric field (and electric force) at a point is tangent to the field line that passes through that point. We define the field lines so that they have this property.

5. Jun 11, 2010 #4
    Maybe this diagram will help
    The 1st shows the electric field around a single positive charge and the 2nd the field in and around a parallel plate capacitor.
    The "field lines" show the direction of the force on a positive charge. The "equipotentials" show places of equal electrical potential.
    The field lines are always at right angles to the equipotentials. This is because the field does no work on a charge moving along an equipotential, meaning the force must be at right angles to its direction of motion.
    fieldlines.jpg
    Is this what the OP means?

6. Jun 29, 2010 #5
    Why, oh why did someone feel it necessary to invent those dratted imaginary field lines?

No-one talks about 'lines of gravitic force'. In fact people would laugh at you for even raising the concept (I can hear them now...)

7. Jun 29, 2010 #6
    Because they make metal shavings look cool :tongue:

8. Jun 29, 2010 #7
    Hah! in all the Millenia I've been stuck on this ball of mud I never thought of that!

You're probably absolutely right.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook