Why in scattering processes q^2 is negative?

In summary, The conversation discusses a question about Peskin's textbook and the momentum of an electron before and after scattering. The momentum of the photon joining the vertex is denoted as q and it is stated that q^2 must be a positive, real number. The concept of four-momentum is also mentioned, with a discussion on why the virtual photon in the electron-electron scattering process is spacelike. The answer is found in an old thread on a physics forum, where the triangle inequality is mentioned.
Mesmerized
Hello,

not sure if I'm typing the question in the right place, but I encountered this question when going through Peskin (eq. 6.44, though it's not important). If p and p' are respectively the momentum of electron before and after the scattering, then q=p'-p is the momentum of photon joining the vertex. Why is that q^2<0 ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not familiar with that textbook, but that does not make any sense.

p, p' and q are momentum vectors. Momentum is conserved in the scattering process,
so p = p' + q. q^2 is the (length of the photon's momentum)^2 and has to be a positive, real number.

I guess I should've noted that p,p' and q are the four-momentums. Of course, the square of the difference of the two momenta (p'-p)^2 can be negative, but for that purpose p and p' must obey certain conditions. I don't see why the fact that the process describes a scattering puts such conditions on the four-momentum of the electrons.

In other words, why is the virtual photon in the electron-electron scattering process spacelike?

Indeed! It's the triangle inequality.

1. Why is q^2 negative in scattering processes?

In scattering processes, q^2 refers to the four-momentum transfer between the incoming and outgoing particles. It is negative because in these processes, the energy and momentum of the incoming particles must be conserved. This means that the magnitude of the incoming four-momentum is greater than the magnitude of the outgoing four-momentum, resulting in a negative value for q^2.

2. How is q^2 related to the scattering angle?

The scattering angle, also known as the angle of deflection, is related to q^2 through the scattering formula. This formula relates the four-momenta of the incoming and outgoing particles, as well as the scattering angle, and is used to calculate q^2 in scattering processes.

3. Does a negative q^2 have any physical significance?

Yes, a negative q^2 has physical significance in scattering processes. It indicates that the interaction between the particles is attractive, meaning that the particles are pulled towards each other. This can be observed in processes such as electron-positron annihilation, where the particles come together to form a bound state.

4. How does q^2 affect the cross section of a scattering process?

The cross section of a scattering process is directly proportional to q^2. This means that as q^2 increases, the cross section also increases. This is because a larger q^2 indicates a stronger interaction between the particles, resulting in a higher probability of scattering.

5. Are there any exceptions where q^2 is positive in scattering processes?

Yes, there are exceptions where q^2 can be positive in scattering processes. One example is elastic scattering, where the particles do not interact and simply change direction without any change in their energy or momentum. In this case, q^2 can be positive or negative depending on the scattering angle.