Why is a Blue Shift in Kruskal Szekeres not Physical

In summary, the conversation discusses the Kruskal-Szekeres diagram and the emergence of time-like trajectories from v=0. It is mentioned that a blue shift may occur when an emitter sends a light signal to an observer, indicating a classical case of instability in the geometry. However, the reason for this instability is unclear. A link is shared, but it is noted that it pertains to a different type of black hole. The stability of the Schwarzschild/Kruskal geometry is also mentioned, but it is uncertain how the blue shift argument relates to this. The question is posed to ask the professor for clarification.
Airsteve0
In my intro. to GR class we recently covered the Kruskal Szekeres diagram and trajectories within the diagram. My question comes from a comment made by my professor about time-like trajectories emerging from v=0 and that if an emitter sends a light signal to an observer it will be blue shifted. He said that this is a classical case of instability in the Kruskal-Szekeres geometry; however, I am unsure as to why this is (i.e. why is a blue shift not physical).

Physics news on Phys.org
atyy said:

Nice link, and the same thought came to my mind, but that's not a Kruskal black hole. It's a Reisser-Nordstrom black hole mimicking a Kerr black hole.

It *is* fairly well known that the Schwarzschild/Kruskal geometry probalby isn't stable, but I'm not sure how the blue shift argument would show that. Now if the professor was actually talking about the Kerr black hole, it would all make sense.

@Airsteve0: ask your professor and tell us the answer please? :smile:

I would like to clarify that the term "physical" can have different meanings in different contexts. In general relativity, the term "physical" refers to quantities that are measurable and observable in our physical world.

In the context of the Kruskal-Szekeres diagram, a blue shift in the trajectory of a light signal does not necessarily correspond to a physical phenomenon that can be observed. This is because the Kruskal-Szekeres diagram is a mathematical representation of spacetime, and the trajectories within it do not necessarily correspond to actual physical paths of objects.

Furthermore, the blue shift in the trajectory of a light signal in the Kruskal-Szekeres diagram is a result of the mathematical transformation used to create the diagram. It does not represent a physical effect that can be observed in our physical world.

In fact, the blue shift in the Kruskal-Szekeres diagram is a consequence of the singularity at the center of the diagram, which is a mathematical artifact and not a physical reality. This singularity represents a point where our current understanding of physics breaks down, and therefore, it is not a physical phenomenon that can be observed.

In summary, while a blue shift may occur in the Kruskal-Szekeres diagram, it is not a physical effect that can be observed in our physical world. It is a mathematical artifact that arises due to the singularity at the center of the diagram. Therefore, it is not considered a physically meaningful phenomenon.

1. What is a blue shift in Kruskal-Szekeres and why is it considered not physical?

A blue shift in Kruskal-Szekeres is a phenomenon observed in the study of black holes, where light or other electromagnetic radiation from an object is shifted towards the blue end of the spectrum. This is due to the strong gravitational pull of the black hole, causing the wavelength of light to become shorter. It is considered not physical because it violates the laws of thermodynamics, as the energy of the light is seemingly increasing without any external source.

2. Can a blue shift in Kruskal-Szekeres be explained by other factors besides gravity?

No, a blue shift in Kruskal-Szekeres is a result of the strong gravitational pull of a black hole and cannot be explained by any other factors. The laws of physics, including the conservation of energy, cannot account for the observed increase in energy without an external source.

3. How does the blue shift in Kruskal-Szekeres relate to the concept of time dilation?

The blue shift in Kruskal-Szekeres is closely related to the concept of time dilation, which is the slowing down of time in a strong gravitational field. As light nears a black hole, it experiences a stronger gravitational pull, causing its wavelength to decrease and its frequency to increase. This increase in frequency is what we observe as the blue shift, and it is directly related to the time dilation effect.

4. Are there any real-world applications for the study of blue shift in Kruskal-Szekeres?

While the blue shift in Kruskal-Szekeres may not have any direct real-world applications, the study of black holes and their effects on light can help us better understand the laws of thermodynamics and gravity. This knowledge can have practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and even technology, as we continue to explore the universe and push the boundaries of our understanding.

5. Is there any ongoing research or debates surrounding the blue shift in Kruskal-Szekeres?

Yes, there is ongoing research and debates surrounding the blue shift in Kruskal-Szekeres and its physical implications. Some scientists propose that there may be other factors at play, such as quantum effects, that could explain the observed increase in energy. Others argue that the laws of physics must remain consistent and that the blue shift cannot be explained by any other factor. This is a topic of ongoing discussion and research in the scientific community.