Why is chemistry worth 5 credits?

• Thread starter sportsstar469
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, chem is considered the most important science for transferring, or grad/med school acceptance.
sportsstar469
How come chemistry is worth 5 credits where as bio,physics,maths are all worth 4 credits? does this signify that chem is considered the most important science for transferring, or grad/med school acceptance? i don't think chemistry labs or lectures take up more time than my bio labs and lectures either. its just something I am curious about.

i also have another question, and since this is general discussion thought id ask it. does anybody else besides me enjoy orange juice from concentrate more than not from concentration? i feel weird being this way lol.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I enjoy from concentrate.

As for the chemistry stuff, it varies from school to school. At my university, the labs are 6 hours a week with 2 1/2 hour lecture so the 4 credits vs. the normal 3 seems about right considering our physics courses are 2 1/2 hour lectures and 3 hour labs.

Like the cold bird said, it usually depends on the number of labs per week. It has nothing to do with how important the class is.

I like OJ from concentrate quite a lot, too, and I like it both with and without pulp. I get the kind with calcium and vitamin D added :smile:.

Credit hours are based on actual time spent in the classroom...lecture or lab. If the scheduled time is the same, then it might just be how different departments count time in lab and how much homework they're going to expect for the lab.

haha that's pretty cool I am not the only concentrate lover =p.

well my chem class is lecture from 1;30 to 3;15 twice a week, with a lab one day from 12;30-3;30

my bio class is lecture for 2hr 45 min once a week with a 2hr 45 min lab once a week.
so we're dealing with 5;30 bio hours
6;30 chem hours
hmmm so maybe that's where the extra credit goes. but i imagine that a physics class would be just as long and those are only 4 credits. but i guess since there is exactly one hour difference the school charges per credit hour. however how is 6 hours 30 minutes 5 credits as opposed to charging for 6 credits or 7 credits.

Labs get discounted: 2-3 hours in lab = 1 credit. I have NO idea why, it just seems to be tradition more than anything else. So, yes, the difference is the number of lecture hours and some rounding.

I think, like everyone else has stated... that it depends on the school and lecture time. At my school, the Physics is 4 cr and we have a 1 cr lab attached to it (5 cr total).

Oh, and I like OJ either way, just can't have pulp in it.

1. Why is chemistry worth 5 credits?

Chemistry is a fundamental science that helps us understand the composition, properties, and changes of matter. It is a subject that requires critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and practical application, making it a valuable course for students. The complexity and depth of chemistry concepts justify its weight of 5 credits.

2. Is chemistry a difficult subject to study?

Chemistry can be challenging for some students due to its abstract concepts and mathematical calculations. However, with proper study habits, practice, and support from teachers, chemistry can be an exciting and rewarding subject to learn.

3. How does chemistry relate to other fields of study?

Chemistry is known as the central science as it connects and overlaps with other disciplines such as biology, physics, geology, and environmental science. It provides a foundation for understanding these fields and their relationship to the world around us.

4. What skills can I gain from studying chemistry?

Studying chemistry can help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also improves mathematical and computational abilities, laboratory skills, and communication skills. These are all valuable skills that can be applied in various academic and career paths.

5. What are the real-world applications of chemistry?

Chemistry has numerous real-world applications, from creating life-saving medications to developing sustainable materials. It plays a crucial role in industries such as healthcare, agriculture, energy, and environmental conservation. Understanding chemistry can also help in making informed decisions as consumers and citizens.