Why is electric potential present inside a conductor?

In summary, potential energy is the work done by an external force in taking a body from a point to another against a force. on the surface of a conductor the electrostatic charges arrange themselves in such a way that the net electric field is always zero. so if there isn't any force to act against why would electric potential be present over there?
esha
potential energy is the work done by an external force in taking a body from a point to another against a force. on the surface of a conductor the electrostatic charges arrange themselves in such a way that the net electric field is always zero. so if there isn't any force to act against why would electric potential be present over there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a positive charge placed inside a hollow conductor. The charges inside the conductor arrange themselves such that they cancel out the field inside the conductor, but outside of the sphere the field must still exist, otherwise you'd have a positive charge whose field just ends inside a neutral object. Does that make sense?

so this means the work which was done on a positive charge to bring it doesn't increase when the charge is taken inside the conductor. hence potential also doesn't increase. therefore the potential isn't zero but same as on the surface of the conductor

Sorry, but I think it would help to clarify the exact setup of our little thought experiment prior to moving anything. That way we know exactly what we are dealing with. Do you have a particular example in mind?

sorry for making it vague.can u please tell me if i m wrong anywhere in my thought process? let's consider a conductor which has charges distributed on it. now due to these charges there is an electric field present on the exterior part of the conductor. let there be another test charge which is progressing towards it. as its progressing its potential energy difference is increasing. the reason being the force against which its moving is also increasing. when its on the surface of the conductor it becomes maximum. the moment it enters the conductor it doesn't increase neither decrease. we know that electric potential is the diffrence of potential energy between two points divided by the charge. in my case consider that one point is on infinity and the other is inside the conductor. we can clearly see that the difference doesn't change once the charge is inside the conductor so the potential doesn't change. therefore its constant.

Hmm. That's a good question and it's one that I don't think I can answer. Hopefully someone else will be able to. Sorry!

esha said:
sorry for making it vague.can u please tell me if i m wrong anywhere in my thought process? let's consider a conductor which has charges distributed on it. now due to these charges there is an electric field present on the exterior part of the conductor. let there be another test charge which is progressing towards it. as its progressing its potential energy difference is increasing. the reason being the force against which its moving is also increasing. when its on the surface of the conductor it becomes maximum. the moment it enters the conductor it doesn't increase neither decrease. we know that electric potential is the diffrence of potential energy between two points divided by the charge. in my case consider that one point is on infinity and the other is inside the conductor. we can clearly see that the difference doesn't change once the charge is inside the conductor so the potential doesn't change. therefore its constant.

Your thought process is absolutely right.

thanks for ur help

1. Why is there electric potential inside a conductor?

Electric potential exists inside a conductor because of the presence of free electrons. These electrons are constantly moving and colliding with other atoms, creating a flow of charge known as an electric current. This movement of charge results in an electric potential difference, or voltage, between different points within the conductor.

2. How does the electric potential inside a conductor affect the movement of electrons?

The electric potential inside a conductor determines the direction and speed of electron movement. Electrons will move from areas of high potential (positive charges) to areas of low potential (negative charges) in order to reach equilibrium. This movement of electrons is what creates an electric current.

3. Is there a difference in electric potential between the surface and interior of a conductor?

In most cases, there is no difference in electric potential between the surface and interior of a conductor. This is known as the "Faraday cage effect," where the electric field inside a conductor is zero. However, if the conductor is charged or has an uneven distribution of charge, there may be a difference in electric potential between the surface and interior.

4. Can the electric potential inside a conductor be changed?

Yes, the electric potential inside a conductor can be changed by altering the charge or voltage applied to the conductor. This can be done through the use of a power source, such as a battery, or by bringing the conductor in contact with a charged object.

5. Is the electric potential inside a conductor constant?

In a closed system, the electric potential inside a conductor is constant. This means that the voltage and charge distribution remains the same throughout the conductor. However, if there is an external influence, such as a changing electric field or the addition of charge, the electric potential inside the conductor may fluctuate.