Why is it obvious that the derivative of a 4-vector is also a 4-vector

In summary, the four-force can be thought of as a four-vector, as long as the proper time is an invariant. It is commutative with the Lorentz-transformation operation, implying that it is associated with some physical property or observable.
wotanub
Several questions in a kind of stream of consciousness format...

I was going over some special relativity notes and I'm not sure why I should buy this. The statement was saying that we can introduce a four-force by differentiating the four-momentum with respect to proper time. That is,

[itex]K^μ \equiv \frac{dp^μ}{dτ}[/itex], where [itex]τ[/itex] is proper time.

I looked in a different reference, and it highlighted that the four-force defined this way is a four-vector because the proper time is an invariant.

I guess I could brute-force check to see if it transforms like a four-vector (it does), but checking this one case doesn't seem like it would prove the general case.

I suppose you could turn everything on its head and also ask the even more "obvious" question "Why is the derivative of a [itex]\mathbb{R}^{3}[/itex] vector with respect to [whatever the 3-space analog to a Lorentz invariant is] a [itex]\mathbb{R}^{3}[/itex] vector?"

What's the general case of a Lorentz invariant? What do you call an invariant for any arbitrary transformation?

-----------

This leads to a second question I thought of while thinking about this. What does it commutation with the Lorentz-transformation operation imply?

The Lorentz-transformation transforms from one space [itex]x[/itex] to another system [itex]\overline{x}[/itex]:

[itex]\overline{x}^{\mu} = \Lambda^{\mu}_{\nu}x^{\nu}[/itex]

or similarly in momentum space...

[itex]\overline{p}^{\mu} = \Lambda^{\mu}_{\nu}p^{\nu}[/itex]

Now we take the derivative on the left...
[itex]\frac{d}{dτ}\overline{p}^{\mu} = \frac{d}{dτ}\Lambda^{\mu}_{\nu}p^{\nu}[/itex]

[itex]\overline{K}^{μ} = \frac{d}{dτ}\Lambda^{\mu}_{\nu}p^{\nu}[/itex]

[itex]\Lambda^{\mu}_{\nu}K^{μ} = \frac{d}{dτ}\Lambda^{\mu}_{\nu}p^{\nu}[/itex]

[itex]\Lambda^{\mu}_{\nu}\frac{dp^{μ}}{dτ} = \frac{d}{dτ}\Lambda^{\mu}_{\nu}p^{\nu}[/itex]

or

[itex]\left[\frac{d}{dτ},\Lambda^{\mu}_{\nu}\right] = 0[/itex]

Is the commutation of an operator with the Lorentz transformation associated with some physical property or observable? Is this the definition of an invariant under a transformation? Something that commutes with the transformation matrix? If so, can [itex]\frac{d}{dτ}[/itex] be inferred to be an invariant because [itex]τ[/itex] is one? This seems strange to say since one is an operator (can an operator be called an invariant?), and the other is a scalar, though I suppose you could represent the proper time as the scalar time the identity matrix.

Physics news on Phys.org
In 3D space, the correspondent of tau is t, the normal (absolute) time parameter. By differentiating wrt time, the vectorial characteristic of any measurable is kept: position vector differentiated wrt time equals the velocity vector, then further the acceleration vector.

wotanub said:
I was going over some special relativity notes and I'm not sure why I should buy this. The statement was saying that we can introduce a four-force by differentiating the four-momentum with respect to proper time. That is,

[itex]K^μ \equiv \frac{dp^μ}{dτ}[/itex], where [itex]τ[/itex] is proper time.

I looked in a different reference, and it highlighted that the four-force defined this way is a four-vector because the proper time is an invariant.

I guess I could brute-force check to see if it transforms like a four-vector (it does), but checking this one case doesn't seem like it would prove the general case.

The expression above isn't a definition of the four-force, it's a recipe for calculating the components of the four-force in a given coordinate system. If you express the definition of the four-force without coordinates (the difference between two invariant four-vectors, divided by an invariant scalar) it's a lot easier to buy that it is itself an invariant four-vector.

Of course this isn't a proof; it's just a hand-wave that may persuade you to buy the proposition without the proof.

wotanub said:
...I was going over some special relativity notes and I'm not sure why I should buy this. The statement was saying that we can introduce a four-force by differentiating the four-momentum with respect to proper time. That is,

[itex]K^μ \equiv \frac{dp^μ}{dτ}[/itex], where [itex]τ[/itex] is proper time...
...What's the general case of a Lorentz invariant? What do you call an invariant for any arbitrary transformation?,,,
Actually the way you are defining it in your first equation, its not generally a 4-vector. That only works out to be the 4-force according to a rectilinear inertial frame that way. Generally the derivative you are taking using element notation isn't that, but is a "covariant derivative" operation. It includes Christoffel symbol terms. Those symbols are defined just that the covariant derivative operation maps tensors to tensors so defining a 4-force as a covariant derivative of 4-momentum with respect to proper time ensures that the 4-force is a 4-vector. Now it turns out that when you use a rectilinear inertial frame as you do in special relativistic physics that the Christoffel symbol terms are zero leaving you with 4-force just being the derivative of 4-momentum with respect to proper time.
Call something that's invariant just invariant. We don't need the term Lorentz because GR in local free fall reduces to SR anyway. The "length" so to speak of any tensor is invariant to frame transformation. When people use the term Lorentz scalar, they are just trying to be clear to you that this is a scalar that is invariant to Lorentz transformation.

In any vector space V if you have a vector v(s) depending on an external parameter s, the derivative with respect to s is again a vector. Its components in any basis are just derivatives of the components of v(s).

I physics however, sometimes, we are taking derivatives with respect to one parameter in one coordinate system (say, inertial frame) and with respect to another parameter in a different coordinate system. In such a case you must be careful. This happens in Relativity if you differentiate with respect to, say, "t". But this is not your case, so a general rule of differentiating vector-valued functions applies.

Last edited:

Why is the derivative of a 4-vector also a 4-vector?

The derivative of a 4-vector is also a 4-vector because a 4-vector is a mathematical object that describes a four-dimensional physical quantity, such as position, velocity, or momentum. The derivative of a 4-vector is defined as the change in the 4-vector with respect to some other variable, such as time, and since a 4-vector has four components, the derivative will also have four components, making it a 4-vector itself.

How is it obvious that the derivative of a 4-vector is also a 4-vector?

It is obvious that the derivative of a 4-vector is also a 4-vector because the concept of a derivative is based on the idea of a rate of change, and a 4-vector represents a four-dimensional quantity that can change over time. Therefore, the derivative of a 4-vector must also be a 4-vector in order to accurately describe the rate of change of that quantity.

Why is it important to understand that the derivative of a 4-vector is also a 4-vector?

Understanding that the derivative of a 4-vector is also a 4-vector is important because it allows us to accurately describe the behavior of physical quantities in four-dimensional space. This is crucial in fields such as physics and engineering, where understanding the rate of change of quantities like position and velocity is essential for predicting and analyzing the behavior of systems.

What are some real-world applications of the concept of the derivative of a 4-vector being a 4-vector?

Some real-world applications of the concept of the derivative of a 4-vector being a 4-vector include predicting the motion of objects in space, analyzing the behavior of particles in particle accelerators, and understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields. In all of these cases, accurately describing the rate of change of four-dimensional quantities is essential for making accurate predictions and understanding the behavior of systems.

Are there any exceptions to the rule that the derivative of a 4-vector is also a 4-vector?

No, there are no exceptions to the rule that the derivative of a 4-vector is also a 4-vector. This is a fundamental property of 4-vectors and is a result of their definition as a mathematical object with four components. Therefore, regardless of the specific physical quantity being described, the derivative of a 4-vector will always be a 4-vector itself.