1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is it symmetrical?

1. Mar 13, 2017 #1
    • Member warned that an effort toward solution must be shown
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Why is it symmetrical thus zero?

2. Relevant equations
    The original equation is with main focus on the first part, cause therein lies the symmetry
    [tex] \int\int\int xy \quad dV + \int\int\int z^2 \quad dV [/tex]
    and
    [tex] 0 \leq z\leq 1 - x - y [/tex]
    See also the picture!

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew a drawing in the xy-plane and it was a line with equation [tex]y = 1-x[/tex].
    So that allowed me to set up the triple integral as:

[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-x}\int_{0}^{1-x-y} xy \quad dzdydx = \frac{1}{120}[/tex]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Could you please post your steps in detail for one of those, so we can help you ?

4. Mar 13, 2017 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Can you show us the triple integral for the xy term and how you evaluated it?

5. Mar 13, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It would have been useful to write the problem statement here.
    If you integrate it over 1/4 of the set only, it is not zero. Integrate it over the full set (not what the image shows) and you should get zero.

6. Mar 13, 2017 #5
    [tex] \int\int\int xy \quad dV + \int\int\int z^2 \quad dV [/tex]
    basically what is shown in the picture.
    I chose
    [tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-x}\int_{0}^{1-x-y} xy \quad dzdydx[/tex]
    from here on it is easy peasy, I dropped it in Mathmatica and it said [tex]\frac{1}{120}[/tex] so I started to cry.

What exactly do you mean with 1/4?

Yes, I plotted [tex]z = 1- x - y[/tex] in Wolframalpha and I saw that the shape was symmetrical, BUT the domain is for [tex]z\geq 0.[/tex] So I don't understand why it is okay. If you would say that the front in the picture is 1/4 and the back is 1/4 so a total of 1/2, then I understand but again the book wants you to calculate for z above 0, zo why multiply with 4 and not 2?

I can figure that it is an odd function because [tex] f(-x) = -f(x)[/tex] but the calculation does not add up.

NOTE: I used wolframalpa to be sure that I don't mess up the algebra, so I make a mistake however I don't understand where!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  7. Mar 13, 2017 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The integral you have calculated is correct, giving ##\frac 1 {120}##. But the ##xy## domain for your pyramid looks like this:
    diamond.jpg
    You have only done the integral of ##xy## over the shaded portion. If you do the remaining three regions you will find that you get the same ##\frac 1 {120}## for quadrant III and ##-\frac 1 {120}## in quadrants II and IV, so the total integral is ##0##. It is because of the signs of ##x## and ##y## in the various quadrants.

8. Mar 13, 2017 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can see it is zero without doing any calculations.

An integral ##\int\int\int_R f(x,y,x) \, dV## is really the limit of the sums ##\sum_{i} f(x_i,y_i, z_i) \Delta V## as the number of terms ##i## goes to ##\infty## and the individual box volumes ##\Delta V## go to 0. If we fix the box sides at length ##\delta > 0##, then ##\Delta V = \delta^3.## Now, for any box centered at ##(x_i,y_i,z_i)## in the first orthant, there are three other boxes centered at ##(-x_i, y_i, z_i), (x_i,-y_i,z_i), (-x_i -y_i,z_i).## The contribution of those four boxes to the sum is ##[x_i y_i + (-x_i) y_i + x_i (-y_i) + (-x_i) (-y_i)] \delta^3 = 0.##

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  9. Mar 13, 2017 #8
    Yes! I understand, however I only drew the first line and not the other three. Why and how could I have distilled that from the equation?

[tex] z = 1- x - y[/tex], with [tex]z = 0[/tex] in xy-plane gives [tex]y = 1- x[/tex]

10. Mar 13, 2017 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation you were given was ##0 \le z \le 1 - |x| - |y|##, and that right side is ##1-x-y## only in the first ##xy## quadrant where both ##x## and ##y## are positive. The equation ##1 - |x| - |y| = 0## gives the diamond shape in the ##xy## plane.

11. Mar 14, 2017 #10
    So that was my mistake! I was working on my problem for hours and couldn't find out what the problem was because I thought I did it right. The problem are the absolute values, I thought that meant it belonged in the first orthant only. However when I plotted the equation in wolframalpha.com with the absolute values I saw that it is a 4 sides pyramid.

Now I am wondering what the absolute values in ##0 \le z \le 1 - |x| - |y|## mean.

This is a different approach that asks a lot of insight. I had to think about it a long time, but I think I understand it.

Thank you for helping!

12. Mar 14, 2017 #11

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

An almost essential key element is the picture LC showed in #6. From that such insight is almost trivial (certainly if the last line of the problem statement spells it out).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted