Symmetry in Triple Integrals: Understanding the Concept and Solving Problems

• Thread starter Durdum
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the symmetry of an equation and the process of calculating its integral. The equation involves absolute values and a triple integral over a 4-sided pyramid. The conversation concludes with the realization that the integral is zero due to the signs of x and y in different quadrants.
Durdum
Member warned that an effort toward solution must be shown

Homework Statement

Why is it symmetrical thus zero?

Homework Equations

The original equation is with main focus on the first part, cause therein lies the symmetry
[tex] \int\int\int xy \quad dV + \int\int\int z^2 \quad dV [/tex]
and
[tex] 0 \leq z\leq 1 - x - y [/tex]
See also the picture!

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a drawing in the xy-plane and it was a line with equation [tex]y = 1-x[/tex].
So that allowed me to set up the triple integral as:

[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-x}\int_{0}^{1-x-y} xy \quad dzdydx = \frac{1}{120}[/tex]

Attachments

• sdgdfgfdggredhgfdgb.png
    sdgdfgfdggredhgfdgb.png
    50 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Durdum said:
I tried calculate it hundreds of times
Could you please post your steps in detail for one of those, so we can help you ?

Can you show us the triple integral for the xy term and how you evaluated it?

It would have been useful to write the problem statement here.
Durdum said:
integrals with boundries {x, 0,1}, {y,0,1-x}, {z, 0, 1-x-y} dzdydx
If you integrate it over 1/4 of the set only, it is not zero. Integrate it over the full set (not what the image shows) and you should get zero.

[tex] \int\int\int xy \quad dV + \int\int\int z^2 \quad dV [/tex]
basically what is shown in the picture.
I chose
[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-x}\int_{0}^{1-x-y} xy \quad dzdydx[/tex]
from here on it is easy peasy, I dropped it in Mathmatica and it said [tex]\frac{1}{120}[/tex] so I started to cry.

mfb said:
It would have been useful to write the problem statement here.
If you integrate it over 1/4 of the set only, it is not zero. Integrate it over the full set (not what the image shows) and you should get zero.
What exactly do you mean with 1/4?

Yes, I plotted [tex]z = 1- x - y[/tex] in Wolframalpha and I saw that the shape was symmetrical, BUT the domain is for [tex]z\geq 0.[/tex] So I don't understand why it is okay. If you would say that the front in the picture is 1/4 and the back is 1/4 so a total of 1/2, then I understand but again the book wants you to calculate for z above 0, zo why multiply with 4 and not 2?

I can figure that it is an odd function because [tex] f(-x) = -f(x)[/tex] but the calculation does not add up.

NOTE: I used wolframalpa to be sure that I don't mess up the algebra, so I make a mistake however I don't understand where!

Last edited:
The integral you have calculated is correct, giving ##\frac 1 {120}##. But the ##xy## domain for your pyramid looks like this:
diamond.jpg

You have only done the integral of ##xy## over the shaded portion. If you do the remaining three regions you will find that you get the same ##\frac 1 {120}## for quadrant III and ##-\frac 1 {120}## in quadrants II and IV, so the total integral is ##0##. It is because of the signs of ##x## and ##y## in the various quadrants.

Likes mfb
Durdum said:

Homework Statement

Why is it symmetrical thus zero? I tried calculate it hundreds of times but still get a number small... but a number 1/120

Homework Equations

See the picture!

The Attempt at a Solution

integrals with boundries {x, 0,1}, {y,0,1-x}, {z, 0, 1-x-y} dzdydx

Trying to calculate the XY part.

You can see it is zero without doing any calculations.

An integral ##\int\int\int_R f(x,y,x) \, dV## is really the limit of the sums ##\sum_{i} f(x_i,y_i, z_i) \Delta V## as the number of terms ##i## goes to ##\infty## and the individual box volumes ##\Delta V## go to 0. If we fix the box sides at length ##\delta > 0##, then ##\Delta V = \delta^3.## Now, for any box centered at ##(x_i,y_i,z_i)## in the first orthant, there are three other boxes centered at ##(-x_i, y_i, z_i), (x_i,-y_i,z_i), (-x_i -y_i,z_i).## The contribution of those four boxes to the sum is ##[x_i y_i + (-x_i) y_i + x_i (-y_i) + (-x_i) (-y_i)] \delta^3 = 0.##

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
The integral you have calculated is correct, giving ##\frac 1 {120}##. But the ##xy## domain for your pyramid looks like this:
View attachment 114497
You have only done the integral of ##xy## over the shaded portion. If you do the remaining three regions you will find that you get the same ##\frac 1 {120}## for quadrant III and ##-\frac 1 {120}## in quadrants II and IV, so the total integral is ##0##. It is because of the signs of ##x## and ##y## in the various quadrants.

Yes! I understand, however I only drew the first line and not the other three. Why and how could I have distilled that from the equation?

[tex] z = 1- x - y[/tex], with [tex]z = 0[/tex] in xy-plane gives [tex]y = 1- x[/tex]

The equation you were given was ##0 \le z \le 1 - |x| - |y|##, and that right side is ##1-x-y## only in the first ##xy## quadrant where both ##x## and ##y## are positive. The equation ##1 - |x| - |y| = 0## gives the diamond shape in the ##xy## plane.

LCKurtz said:
The equation you were given was ##0 \le z \le 1 - |x| - |y|##, and that right side is ##1-x-y## only in the first ##xy## quadrant where both ##x## and ##y## are positive. The equation ##1 - |x| - |y| = 0## gives the diamond shape in the ##xy## plane.

So that was my mistake! I was working on my problem for hours and couldn't find out what the problem was because I thought I did it right. The problem are the absolute values, I thought that meant it belonged in the first orthant only. However when I plotted the equation in wolframalpha.com with the absolute values I saw that it is a 4 sides pyramid.

Now I am wondering what the absolute values in ##0 \le z \le 1 - |x| - |y|## mean.

Ray Vickson said:
You can see it is zero without doing any calculations.

An integral ##\int\int\int_R f(x,y,x) \, dV## is really the limit of the sums ##\sum_{i} f(x_i,y_i, z_i) \Delta V## as the number of terms ##i## goes to ##\infty## and the individual box volumes ##\Delta V## go to 0. If we fix the box sides at length ##\delta > 0##, then ##\Delta V = \delta^3.## Now, for any box centered at ##(x_i,y_i,z_i)## in the first orthant, there are three other boxes centered at ##(-x_i, y_i, z_i), (x_i,-y_i,z_i), (-x_i -y_i,z_i).## The contribution of those four boxes to the sum is ##[x_i y_i + (-x_i) y_i + x_i (-y_i) + (-x_i) (-y_i)] \delta^3 = 0.##

This is a different approach that asks a lot of insight. I had to think about it a long time, but I think I understand it.

Thank you for helping!

Durdum said:
This is a different approach that asks a lot of insight
An almost essential key element is the picture LC showed in #6. From that such insight is almost trivial (certainly if the last line of the problem statement spells it out).

1. Why do objects in nature tend to have symmetry?

Symmetry is a fundamental principle in nature that allows for balance, stability, and efficiency. It is a result of the natural laws and forces that govern the universe, such as gravity and electromagnetism. Additionally, symmetry is advantageous for survival and reproduction in many organisms, as it allows for better movement, protection, and attraction of mates.

2. How does symmetry relate to beauty and aesthetics?

Symmetry is often associated with beauty and aesthetics because it is visually pleasing and creates a sense of harmony and balance. In fact, many artists and architects use symmetrical designs in their work to create a sense of order and perfection. However, there is also beauty in asymmetry, as it can evoke emotions and challenge traditional notions of beauty.

3. Is symmetry present in all living organisms?

Symmetry is found in many living organisms, but not all. Some organisms, like sponges and jellyfish, have asymmetrical body plans, while others, like humans and animals, have bilateral symmetry. Even within those with bilateral symmetry, there can be variations and imperfections, as symmetry is not always strictly adhered to in nature.

4. Can symmetry be observed on a molecular level?

Yes, symmetry can be observed on a molecular level. In fact, many molecules, such as crystals and proteins, have symmetrical structures. This symmetry is important for their function and stability. Scientists also use symmetry as a tool for understanding molecular structures and predicting their behavior.

5. Why is symmetry important in scientific research?

Symmetry plays a crucial role in scientific research as it helps us understand the underlying patterns and principles in nature. By studying symmetry, scientists can make predictions, develop theories, and make sense of the complex systems and processes that make up our world. Symmetry also allows for easier communication and collaboration among scientists, as it provides a shared language and framework for understanding the natural world.