Why is it wrong to conclude a isn't the vertice (conics)

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conics
In summary, flyingpig suggests taking the focus = 4 when solving for an ellipse's equation of focus, but had trouble remembering to include this information on a separate line.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Given the ellipse is centered at the origin and the information, find an equation of the ellipse.

1) An ellipse with focus ([tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex],0), directrix; x = [tex]\frac{9}{\sqrt{5}}[/tex]

2) An ellipse with an eccentricity of 4/5

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to leave right now so I can't post a usuall good attept, but basically for #1) you cannot match the directrix with the a/e, but for #2) you are supposed to take the focus = 4

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:
but for #2) you are supposed to take the focus = 4
Hate to be picky, but a focus is a point, not a number. If
e = c/a,
where c is the distance from the center to a focus, and a is the distance from the center to a vertex (not vertice!), then you should know what a is. All it remains is for you to find b, the distance from the center to an endpoint of the minor axis, and you're done.

eumyang said:
Hate to be picky, but a focus is a point, not a number. If
e = c/a,
Yes, flyingpig knows that. He intended [itex]\left(\sqrt{5}, 0\right)[/itex] but, for some reason had only the squareroot in LaTeX and on a separate line.

where c is the distance from the center to a focus, and a is the distance from the center to a vertex (not vertice!), then you should know what a is. All it remains is for you to find b, the distance from the center to an endpoint of the minor axis, and you're done.
Good!

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, flyingpig knows that. He intended [itex]\left(\sqrt{5}, 0\right)[/itex] but, for some reason had only the squareroot in LaTeX and on a separate line.
Actually, I was referring to #2, where he writes:
flyingpig said:
I have to leave right now so I can't post a usuall good attept, but basically for #1) you cannot match the directrix with the a/e, but for #2) you are supposed to take the focus = 4 (emphasis mine)

1. Why is it wrong to conclude that a point is not the vertex of a conic?

Conclusions in science should be based on evidence and data, not assumptions. Without proper evidence, it is not accurate to conclude that a point is not the vertex of a conic.

2. Is it possible for a point to not be the vertex of a conic?

Yes, it is possible for a point to not be the vertex of a conic. The vertex of a conic is the point where the curve changes direction. If the point in question does not meet this criteria, then it is not the vertex.

3. Can a point be the vertex of more than one conic?

Yes, it is possible for a point to be the vertex of more than one conic. This is because different conics can have the same vertex point, such as a parabola and a hyperbola.

4. How can you determine if a point is the vertex of a conic?

The best way to determine if a point is the vertex of a conic is to use the equation of the conic. By plugging in the coordinates of the point and simplifying the equation, you can determine if it satisfies the definition of a vertex.

5. What happens if a point is mistakenly concluded to be the vertex of a conic?

If a point is mistakenly concluded to be the vertex of a conic, it could lead to incorrect conclusions and inaccurate data. This can have a significant impact on the overall understanding and interpretation of the conic and its properties.