1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is it wrong to conclude a isn't the vertice (conics)

1. Jul 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the ellipse is centered at the origin and the information, find an equation of the ellipse.

1) An ellipse with focus ([tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex],0), directrix; x = [tex]\frac{9}{\sqrt{5}}[/tex]

2) An ellipse with an eccentricity of 4/5

3. The attempt at a solution

I have to leave right now so I can't post a usuall good attept, but basically for #1) you cannot match the directrix with the a/e, but for #2) you are supposed to take the focus = 4

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2011 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

Hate to be picky, but a focus is a point, not a number. If
    e = c/a,
    where c is the distance from the center to a focus, and a is the distance from the center to a vertex (not vertice!), then you should know what a is. All it remains is for you to find b, the distance from the center to an endpoint of the minor axis, and you're done.

4. Jul 30, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, flyingpig knows that. He intended [itex]\left(\sqrt{5}, 0\right)[/itex] but, for some reason had only the squareroot in LaTeX and on a separate line.

Good!

5. Jul 30, 2011 #4

eumyang

Homework Helper

Actually, I was referring to #2, where he writes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook