Why is (n^0=1)? where n is any positive number

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Mozart
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Positive
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 7K views
Mozart
Messages
106
Reaction score
0
I just can't justify this in my simple mind. I just always accepted it because I was told that it is equal to 1 throughout high school, and now in cegep. :confused:
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
For an integer a:

n^0 = n^(a-a) = n^a(n^-a) = (n^a)/(n^a) = 1
 
Have a search for lots of posts on this topic on these forums; it is essentially a convention that allows us to coherently extend a definitions of powers.
 
Alternatively, since na+b=nanb, then it must be that na=na+0=nan0, so n0 = 1.

Except for n = 0, of course. There's a whole thread on that.
 
gnomedt said:
Alternatively, since na+b=nanb, then it must be that


If we want to extend the definition from its natural domain consistently

na=na+0=nan0, so n0 = 1.

Except for n = 0, of course. There's a whole thread on that.