Why is Point A in Compression in a Simplified Crankshaft with a Load P?

In summary, the beam in Figure 1 is in tension due to the bending moment, but in Figure Q5, the beam is under compression load and so point A is in compression.
yonese
Summary:: I'm stuck on a year 2 mechanics question. I have this simplified crankshaft with a load P at the end. The solutions to the exercise have said that point A is in compression due to a bending moment but I don't understand why that is. The solutions and my calculations have both come out with positive values for the stress at A, and I thought a positive value for stress = tension, negative = compression.

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 16.19.32.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 14.59.13.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 14.59.13.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 16.19.32.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 16.19.32.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 132
Physics news on Phys.org
The moments (and forces) have directions that can be determined by the sign.

But for a beam in bending, you have the following situation:

image002.gif

beam_bending.png

When under the bending moment ##M##, the point on the convex portion (bottom) of the beam is in tension, but the concave portion (top) of the beam is in compression. The point A of your crankshaft would be in the concave portion.

• Informative
Likes yonese, berkeman and Lnewqban
Welcome, yonese! :cool:

If we eliminate section b2 of the crankshaft, could you see the direction of the forces acting on point A due to bending more clearly?

Signs are only an arbitrary convention.

Likes yonese
Thank you! I hadn't thought of eliminating section b2, which does make it simplier to understand the forces acting on the beam. I can understand whether point A would be in compresssion or tension if it were right on top of beam or under the beam, but since point A is 'on the side' of the beam, how would you determine if its in compression or not?

I haven't included load P when imagining the forces acting on point A. I've just visualised b1 as a simple beam.

jack action said:
The moments (and forces) have directions that can be determined by the sign.

But for a beam in bending, you have the following situation:

When under the bending moment ##M##, the point on the convex portion (bottom) of the beam is in tension, but the concave portion (top) of the beam is in compression. The point A of your crankshaft would be in the concave portion.

Thanks. I completely forgot I had learned this... Thanks for refreshening my memory.

Someone has kindly pointed out that I have attached two images... Could you tell I'm new? Correct me if I am wrong, but if I were the find the stress at point A in the second image (greyed out one), point A would be in the concave portion and so be in tension, as the load P is now driving downwards instead of sideways?

Yes, in the greyed out image, point A would be in tension.

It is not a question of 'top' or 'bottom', it's a question of 'concave' and 'convex'. So it works in any position. Just imagine your part made out of rubber and imagine how it would deform under your load. If you're pulling on the handle (in any direction), the concave shape of the beam will be on the side that you are pulling, thus in compression.

yonese said:
Thank you! I hadn't thought of eliminating section b2, which does make it simplier to understand the forces acting on the beam. I can understand whether point A would be in compresssion or tension if it were right on top of beam or under the beam, but since point A is 'on the side' of the beam, how would you determine if its in compression or not?

I haven't included load P when imagining the forces acting on point A. I've just visualised b1 as a simple beam.
For figure Q5, point A would be under compression load, which would be the opposite to the situation shown in the greyed diagram.

Point A in your first diagram Figure 1 is not in the same place as point A in your second diagram Figure Q5.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is a crankshaft compression point?

A crankshaft compression point is a specific point in the rotational cycle of an engine where the piston is at its highest position and the fuel-air mixture is compressed before being ignited by the spark plug.

2. Why is the crankshaft compression point important?

The crankshaft compression point is important because it determines the amount of power and efficiency of the engine. The higher the compression, the more energy is released during combustion, resulting in a more powerful and efficient engine.

3. How is the crankshaft compression point measured?

The crankshaft compression point is typically measured using a degree wheel and a dial indicator. The degree wheel is attached to the crankshaft and the dial indicator is placed on the piston to measure its movement. The highest point on the dial indicator indicates the crankshaft compression point.

4. Can the crankshaft compression point be adjusted?

Yes, the crankshaft compression point can be adjusted by changing the timing of the engine. This can be done by adjusting the position of the distributor or by advancing or retarding the timing belt or chain.

5. What happens if the crankshaft compression point is not set correctly?

If the crankshaft compression point is not set correctly, it can result in poor engine performance, decreased power, and increased fuel consumption. It can also cause engine knocking or pinging, which can lead to engine damage if not addressed.