Why is Quadrant 1 Vol x 4 Incorrect for Problem #13?

• Thread starter namehere
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem where a false solution was obtained by only taking the volume of the region in quadrant 1 and multiplying it by 4. The correct solution was obtained by taking the volume of the entire region. The reason for the incorrect solution was due to the integrand not being symmetric about y=0. The correct solution was determined to be 8/3e^-1.
namehere
Moved from a technical forum and thus no template
Here on problem #13 i am getting a false solution when only taking the volume of the region in quadrant 1 and multiplying it by 4. The later photo contains the correct solution which is obtained by taking the volume of the entire region. Can someone explain to me why the former is incorrect.
image.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
namehere said:
Here on problem #13 i am getting a false solution when only taking the volume of the region in quadrant 1 and multiplying it by 4. The later photo contains the correct solution which is obtained by taking the volume of the entire region. Can someone explain to me why the former is incorrect.
Just because you are calculating a triple integral, it doesn't mean you are calculating a volume. If the integrand was ##1##, you would be, and your method would be correct. But your integrand is ##x^2e^y##, and ##e^y## is not symmetric about ##y=0##. So you don't get the same answer for each quadrant.

namehere said:
View attachment 204190
View attachment 204191
View attachment 204192

Your images are unreadable. Type out your work if you really want help.

I tried the problem myself. Is anyone else getting ##\frac{8}{3}e^{-1}##?

Eclair_de_XII said:
I tried the problem myself. Is anyone else getting ##\frac{8}{3}e^{-1}##?
Yes, that's correct.

1. Why is Quadrant 1 Vol x 4 Incorrect for Problem #13?

Quadrant 1 represents the positive x and y values on a coordinate plane. Multiplying the volume by 4 in this quadrant would result in a volume that is too large, as it would include values from all four quadrants. This is incorrect because the problem specifies that the volume should only include values from the first quadrant.

2. Is there a reason why Quadrant 1 was specifically mentioned in the problem?

Yes, specifying Quadrant 1 narrows down the range of values that should be included in the volume calculation. This helps to avoid including values from other quadrants and ensures that the calculated volume is accurate for the given problem.

3. Can Quadrant 1 Vol x 4 ever be a correct solution for Problem #13?

No, because the problem explicitly states that the volume should only include values from Quadrant 1. Multiplying by 4 would include values from all four quadrants, making the solution incorrect.

4. What would be the correct way to calculate Quadrant 1 Vol x 4 for Problem #13?

The correct way to calculate Quadrant 1 Vol x 4 for Problem #13 would be to first find the volume of Quadrant 1, and then multiply that value by 4. This ensures that only values from Quadrant 1 are included in the calculation.

5. Are there any other common errors associated with calculating Quadrant 1 Vol x 4 for Problem #13?

Another common error is forgetting to account for the negative values in Quadrant 1. It is important to remember that Quadrant 1 also includes negative y values, so these should also be included in the volume calculation.