Why is Silver Not Widely Used in Electrical Wires?

• Thread starter Missionz12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wires
In summary, Silver is a good conductor but not all that much better than Copper which is a lot cheaper.
Missionz12
I've read that silver is the best conductor of electricity so I am curious why we do not use it in wires like we use gold,copper,etc...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Silver is a good conductor but not all that much better than Copper which is a lot cheaper.

As you can see from the following table of resistivities, Silver is only 8% better than Copper as a conductor
Silver 1.59×10−8
Copper 1.72×10−8
Gold 2.44×10−8
Aluminium 2.82×10−8

Today,
a Kilogram of Silver is worth US$526
a Kilogram of Copper is worth US$5.84.
Gold is worth US$996 per OUNCE or US$32021 a Kilogram

Last edited:
Hello Mission Z-
During WW II, one or more Calutron magnets (very big dipole magnets) at Oak Ridge used for separating U235 from U238 (isotope separation) had silver coils. This apparently was because copper for shell casings (ordnance) was in short supply, and Fort Knox had a very large stash of silver bars. I also understand that coils in military transmitters had solid, rather than silver-plated, coils. I think all of these silver coils have been melted down. The U.S stopped making silver coins about 1966.
Bob S

For the most part we use copper because it has good conductivity, and also because it's relatively cheap. Gold is used in high end applications, but as you can imagine it's expensive.

The only other metal I know of that gets used commonly is aluminum for the main lines in houses and such.

Lancelot59 said:
Gold is used in high end applications, but as you can imagine it's expensive.

Copper is still a better conductor than gold. Gold is mainly used in connectors due to its resistance to corrosion.

(unless with high end you mean hifi, where there are claims gold cables "sound" better :rolleyes:) (of course not backed up by any science at all, but that's not surprising considering they also use cable stands to give the sound some "air" :smile:)

I still see silver plating used in RF work. Due to the shallow skin depth at higher frequencies, it's practical to plate waveguides, resonators, and coils for matching networks. Thus Q values are increased and losses are reduced.

I've also seen copper plated aluminum used for the center conductor of CATV lines. I assume this is because copper is more expensive than aluminum, but again, only a thin layer is needed.

- Mike

Related to Why is Silver Not Widely Used in Electrical Wires?

1. Why not use silver wires for electrical wiring?

Silver is an excellent conductor of electricity, but it is also very expensive. In most cases, the high cost of silver outweighs its superior conductivity. Copper is a more affordable and practical option for electrical wiring.

2. Can silver wires be used in place of copper wires?

Yes, silver wires can be used as an alternative to copper wires for electrical wiring. However, due to its high cost, it is not a practical choice for most applications.

3. Are there any advantages to using silver wires?

One advantage of using silver wires is its superior conductivity. This can be beneficial in certain specialized applications such as in high-frequency circuits or for long-distance power transmission. Silver wires are also highly resistant to corrosion, making them a durable choice for outdoor use.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using silver wires?

The main drawback of using silver wires is its cost. It is significantly more expensive than other common conductors such as copper or aluminum. Silver is also a softer metal, making it more susceptible to damage and breakage. This can be a concern in high-vibration environments or areas with frequent temperature changes.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using silver wires?

Silver is generally considered safe for use in electrical wiring. However, in rare cases, prolonged exposure to high levels of silver can cause a condition called argyria, where the skin turns a bluish-gray color. This is mainly a concern for workers who handle large amounts of silver, rather than for the average consumer using silver wires in their home.