Why Is the Calculated Torque About the Shoulder Incorrect?

• Thread starter sona1177
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, an athlete holds a 3.0 kg ball in his hand. The arm is .70 cm long and has a mass of 4.0 kg. The magnitude of the torque about his arm if he holds his arm straight out his side, parallel to the floor is 48 N-m.
sona1177
An athlete at the gym holds a 3.0 kg ball in his hand. His arm is .70 cm long and has a mass of 4.0 kg. What is the magnitude of the torque about his arm if he holds his arm straight out his side, parallel to the floor. I did T=mgr since theta is zero so both the force of gravity on his arm and ball is down. So 7* 9.8*.70 where the mass is the mass of his arm + mass of the ball. I get 48 N-m but this is wrong the answer is 34 N-m. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
This would by right if all mass of the arm were concentrated in the hand.

ehild

ehild said:
This would by right if all mass of the arm were concentrated in the hand.

ehild
So is .70 m not the center of gravity. I'm so confused ...

theta is not zero, it is 90 degrees. And 0.7 m is not the center of gravity. If you have a uniform stick, which length is 0.7 m and has a 4 kg mass, where is then its center of mass?

housemartin said:
theta is not zero, it is 90 degrees. And 0.7 m is not the center of gravity. If you have a uniform stick, which length is 0.7 m and has a 4 kg mass, where is then its center of mass?

.35 thanks :) so Now I add the torques but why do we consider the center of gravity for the ball to be .70 m?

because you need to calculate torque about the shoulder (well topic name says about shoulder, but in problem statement you say about the arm...). In order to do so, you must take distances from shoulder (its like shoulder is your coordinates starting point), and ball is 0.7 m away from the shoulder.

housemartin said:
because you need to calculate torque about the shoulder (well topic name says about shoulder, but in problem statement you say about the arm...). In order to do so, you must take distances from shoulder (its like shoulder is your coordinates starting point), and ball is 0.7 m away from the shoulder.

Thank you. I'm sorry, I should have said shoulder. Thank you again for your help.

Related to Why Is the Calculated Torque About the Shoulder Incorrect?

1. What is torque about the shoulder?

Torque about the shoulder is a measure of the rotational force applied to the shoulder joint. It is created by the muscles and tendons surrounding the shoulder and is necessary for performing movements such as lifting, throwing, and reaching.

2. How is torque about the shoulder calculated?

To calculate torque about the shoulder, you need to know the force being applied and the distance from the force to the center of rotation (shoulder joint). The formula for torque is torque = force x distance.

3. What factors can affect torque about the shoulder?

The amount of torque about the shoulder can be affected by several factors, including the strength and size of the muscles, the angle of the joint, and the position of the body in relation to the force being applied.

4. Why is torque about the shoulder important?

Torque about the shoulder is important because it allows us to perform a wide range of movements and activities. Without sufficient torque, we would not be able to lift heavy objects, throw a ball, or even reach for something on a high shelf.

5. How can torque about the shoulder be improved?

To improve torque about the shoulder, it is important to strengthen the muscles and tendons surrounding the shoulder joint. This can be done through exercises that target the shoulder muscles, such as shoulder presses, rows, and lateral raises. Proper form and technique during these exercises can also help improve torque about the shoulder.