Why is the current through I2 constant?

In summary, the conversation discussed reviewing for an AP Physics C E&M exam, with the person being stuck on a specific problem (2(b)). They mention using the equation V=IR in the solution and initially thinking that the current in R2 would increase, but after watching a video, they understand that it remains constant due to the constant voltage and resistance.
kd2amc

Homework Statement

I was going through this PDF to review for my AP Physics C E&M exam: https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/...course=ap-physics-c-electricity-and-magnetism

I was also watching this video (which discusses the solutions):

I am stuck on part 2(b) (page 7 of the PDF, 17:18 minute mark of the video)

Homework Equations

The solution uses V=IR. I didn't use any equations in my attempt at solving the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I originally thought that I2 would increase, because when the switch is first closed, the capacitor acts like a wire and allows current to flow freely, so the current will be split between both the R1 and R2 parallel branches. Then, after a long time, the capacitor acts like an open switch, so no current will flow through R1 and it will all flow through R2 - therefore, the current in R2 would increase. After watching this video, I understand the instructor's reasoning as to why I2 remains constant (namely, that I = V/R and V and R are both constant, so I is constant), but I'm not sure what was wrong with my original thinking.

Thank you so much for any assistance! I really appreciate your time and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
At the moment when the switch is closed, what is the voltage across R2?

lewando said:
At the moment when the switch is closed, what is the voltage across R2?
I believe it is equal to V0.

Does it ever change thereafter?

Likes berkeman
I see what you are saying - the voltage remains constant and the resistance remains constant, therefore the current remains constant. Thank you!

Likes berkeman

1. What is meant by "current through I2" when discussing electrical currents?

The current through I2 refers to the amount of electrical current flowing through a specific branch or component in a circuit. In simple terms, it is the rate at which electric charge is moving through that particular part of the circuit.

2. Why is it important for the current through I2 to remain constant?

In electrical circuits, the current through I2 is often used to power specific devices or components. If the current varies, it can cause fluctuations in voltage and potentially damage the equipment. Therefore, it is important for the current through I2 to remain constant to ensure the proper functioning and safety of the circuit.

3. How is the current through I2 kept constant in a circuit?

The current through I2 can be kept constant through the use of resistors, which limit the flow of current, and voltage regulators, which maintain a steady voltage. Additionally, the use of feedback circuits and advanced control systems can also help regulate the current through I2.

4. What factors can affect the constancy of the current through I2?

The current through I2 can be affected by changes in voltage, changes in resistance, and the addition or removal of other components in the circuit. Environmental factors, such as temperature and humidity, can also impact the constancy of the current through I2.

5. Are there any benefits to having a constant current through I2?

Yes, there are several benefits to having a constant current through I2. It allows for stable and reliable operation of electrical devices, prevents damage to equipment, and ensures the safety of users. Additionally, a constant current through I2 can also improve the efficiency and longevity of the circuit.