Why is the electromagnetic field not a 'charge field'

In summary: When speaking about Maxwell's equations, it is important to be aware of the four quantities listed above. In particular, the second term in Maxwell's equations, ##\mathbf{E}##, is a field which is determined by the charge density, ##ρ##, and the electric field, ##E##. However, ##\mathbf{E}## is not entirely determined by these two factors. In fact, there are wave solutions to Maxwell's equations which are zero in the presence of a field, like the electric field. This is why electromagnets work according to special relativity, but not quantum mechanics. Additionally, permanent magnets (which are made up of tiny magnets that don't gradually lose their magnetism over time
tim9000
This question is a continuation/topic-extrapolation of:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ng-to-special-relativity.856482/#post-5374651

My question is 'how is the electromagnetic field different from some sort of mere electric-charge field?'
The issue I have with the video posted in the thread is that, it kind of implies that the a magnetic field is just an electric field from different reference frames in special relativity, in which case the 'electromagnetic field' which permeates the universe would really just be a 'charge field' (positive and negative, like an electric field rather than electromagentic)...

So electromagnets work according to special relativity but not quantum mechanics, and permanent magnets (residual magnetism) work according to quantum mechanics, but not special relativity?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as an "electric charge field" construct in modern physics. There are electric fields and magnetic fields. Magnetic fields can be explained as a manifestation of electric fields seen from reference frames in relative motion, but that doesn't mean we experience them any differently. The magnetic field still looks and feels the same--it arises from currents, follows the right-hand rule, produces the Lorentz force, etc.

Your second statement is not quite accurate. At a far deeper level beyond relativity, electromagnetic forces arise from the exchange of virtual photons according to the theory of quantum electrodynamics (QED).

when I said 'electric charge field' I mean that in the video had an electric field and it was just the electric charge that was causing the magnetic attraction and repulsion. As you said, via the reference frame. But what I'm saying is that under this interpretation you don't need to use the words 'magnetic' at all
because it seems like a totally electric phenomena (RightHandRule -> special relativity).

I get that if we have all these circulating virtual photons according to quantum electrodynamics that if a charged particle is moving through them, that a Lorentz force will be exerted on the particle, but that sounds like a totally different phenomena (Lorentz -> quantum).

It's like electromagnets aren't part of the electromagnetic field at all (just electric). I get that Maxwell states how they're coupled as a single electromagnetic phenomenon, I'm just having trouble seeing the connection in the aforementioned special relativity example.

cheers

tim9000 said:
when I said 'electric charge field' I mean that in the video had an electric field and it was just the electric charge that was causing the magnetic attraction and repulsion. As you said, via the reference frame. But what I'm saying is that under this interpretation you don't need to use the words 'magnetic' at all
because it seems like a totally electric phenomena (RightHandRule -> special relativity).
This is correct. Speaking of magnetic fields is advisable in practice, of course--the average person won't know what you are talking about if you try to discuss the action of a motor, or of a solenoid in a washing machine or car door lock, in terms of Coulomb attraction and relativistic boost.

tim9000 said:
I get that if we have all these circulating virtual photons according to quantum electrodynamics that if a charged particle is moving through them, that a Lorentz force will be exerted on the particle, but that sounds like a totally different phenomena (Lorentz -> quantum).
No, the Lorentz force is classical. I was trying to address your confusion regarding quantum descriptions. Ultimately all electric and magnetic phenomena can be described quantum mechanically, but for practical situations we use classical descriptions.

tim9000 said:
It's like electromagnets aren't part of the electromagnetic field at all (just electric). I get that Maxwell states how they're coupled as a single electromagnetic phenomenon, I'm just having trouble seeing the connection in the aforementioned special relativity example.
I'm still not understanding your confusion here. An electromagnet involves electricity (current, aka moving charges) and magnetism (field). Why is it confusing that electromagnetic theory describes it?

Go read up on Maxwell's equations. You'll see that there are 4 important quantities: ##\mathbf{E}, \mathbf{B}, \rho, I##.
##\rho## is the charge density which you could call a field if you want, but it isn't enough information to solve everything.
##\mathbf{E}## and ##\mathbf{B}## depend on ##\rho## and ##I## but aren't fully determined by them. Indeed, you have wave solutions for ##\mathbf{E}## and ##\mathbf{B}## even when ##\rho## and ##I## are 0.

tim9000 said:
So electromagnets work according to special relativity but not quantum mechanics, and permanent magnets (residual magnetism) work according to quantum mechanics, but not special relativity?

What EXACTLY does this mean?

Zz.

Hi, sorry but what do you mean by:
Khashishi said:
you have wave solutions for E\mathbf{E} and B\mathbf{B} even when ρ\rho and II are 0.
like a classical wave = 0 ?
ZapperZ said:
What EXACTLY does this mean?
I was just saying that special relativity produces a seen increased charge density 'electromagnet', which seems like a fake magnetism to me. And quantum mechanics (electron spin -> magnetic grain alignment) produces virtual photons (magnetic flux) which to me seem like a genuine magnetic side to electromagnetics. Whereas the special relativity charge density seems just to be an electric field which according the Right Hand Rule produces a magnetic flux, but in actual fact it's just electric repulsion or attraction in proximity of the wire.
I'm trying to understand how special relativity via current in a wire can produce 'magnetism' without actual virtual photons, or does it actually somehow?

I'm afraid that none of what you wrote is correct. It misuses both SR and QM ideas. It's not like there is an error in there - it's that none of it is right and the very statement of the problem is so riddled with errors and false assumptions that it is impossible to address. ("When did you stop beating your wife?") The earlier replies were good - but will require you rethink these assumptions.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm afraid that none of what you wrote is correct. It misuses both SR and QM ideas. It's not like there is an error in there - it's that none of it is right and the very statement of the problem is so riddled with errors and false assumptions that it is impossible to address. ("When did you stop beating your wife?") The earlier replies were good - but will require you rethink these assumptions.
I'm happy to learn if AND how I'm wrong, however I'm yet to hear how anything I said is inconsistent with:

and

I also found your reply brash to the point of unhelpful.

tim9000 said:
I also found your reply brash to the point of unhelpful.

And I find what you wrote complete nonsense bordering on crackpottery. Fake magnetism? Magnetic flux equated to virtual photons? You're not asking questions any more - you're pushing your own model. And it's incorrect.

You have a choice - you can give up this model and learn how the universe really works, or not. Up to you.

tim9000 said:
I was just saying that special relativity produces a seen increased charge density 'electromagnet', which seems like a fake magnetism to me. And quantum mechanics (electron spin -> magnetic grain alignment) produces virtual photons (magnetic flux) which to me seem like a genuine magnetic side to electromagnetics. Whereas the special relativity charge density seems just to be an electric field which according the Right Hand Rule produces a magnetic flux, but in actual fact it's just electric repulsion or attraction in proximity of the wire.
I'm trying to understand how special relativity via current in a wire can produce 'magnetism' without actual virtual photons, or does it actually somehow?

This is completely puzzling and utterly incomprehensible. It feels as if you learned this out of a pop-science book (at best) or some dubious website (at worst).

It is difficult for me to try and "teach" you anything when I am not even sure what exactly it is that you are talking about. There's nothing here that resembles the physics that I know with regards to both SR and QM.

Zz.

Vanadium 50 said:
you're pushing your own model.
I literally just said:
tim9000 said:
I'm happy to learn if AND how I'm wrong...
so clearly I'm not interested in pushing falsities and I'm hardly on here to push a faux science cult.
Vanadium 50 said:
Magnetic flux equated to virtual photons?
Why didn't you just point that out in the first place? I don't know much about virtual photons, hence why I'm here, I just go off what I can reasonably research or infer:
marcusl said:
At a far deeper level beyond relativity, electromagnetic forces arise from the exchange of virtual photons according to the theory of quantum electrodynamics (QED).
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/magnetic-field-is-made-of-photons.139760/
I'm only just scratching the surface of virtual photons and I basically forgot about the concept.

It's not my fault if my internal model has some flaws in it, not that you've done much to rectify that. I never said fake magnetism in a scientific context, I said it 'seems like' it doesn't seem to have the (moving charge) quantum mechanical mechanism which I had been basing my understanding from. So condescend me regarding my motives or integrity to learn, you volunteered a reply I didn't come to either of you asking to waste your time.

ZapperZ said:
This is completely puzzling and utterly incomprehensible. It feels as if you learned this out of a pop-science book (at best) or some dubious website (at worst).
Yeah fair comment about how well I am as a communicator, but it's just my raw inference from the video.
tim9000 said:
...however I'm yet to hear how anything I said is inconsistent with:
which as far as I can tell still stands.

You need to understand the basics before you can tackle more advanced topics. Classical electromagnetism explains what a field is without getting into photons, virtual particles, and the like.

Closed pending moderation

1. Why is the electromagnetic field not a 'charge field'?

The electromagnetic field is not a 'charge field' because it is not solely dependent on the presence of electric charges. The electromagnetic field is a combination of electric and magnetic fields, which are both created by moving charges. However, the field itself can also exist and propagate without the presence of charges, as seen in the form of electromagnetic waves.

2. How is the electromagnetic field different from a 'charge field'?

The main difference between the electromagnetic field and a 'charge field' is that the former is a combination of electric and magnetic fields, while the latter only refers to the presence of electric charges. The electromagnetic field also has the ability to propagate and transfer energy through space, while a 'charge field' is localized around the charges.

3. Why is it important to distinguish between the electromagnetic field and a 'charge field'?

It is important to distinguish between the electromagnetic field and a 'charge field' because they have different properties and behaviors. Understanding the differences between the two allows scientists to accurately describe and predict the behavior of electromagnetic fields, which is crucial in many fields of science and technology.

4. Can the electromagnetic field exist without the presence of charges?

Yes, the electromagnetic field can exist without the presence of charges. As mentioned earlier, electromagnetic waves are a form of the electromagnetic field that can propagate through space without the presence of charges. Additionally, virtual particles, which are constantly popping in and out of existence, also contribute to the existence of the electromagnetic field without the presence of charges.

5. How does the electromagnetic field interact with charges?

The electromagnetic field interacts with charges through the forces of electromagnetism. Electric charges create electric fields, which can exert a force on other charges. Moving charges also create magnetic fields, which can interact with other moving charges. This interaction between the fields and charges is what allows for the transfer of energy and the creation of electromagnetic waves.