Flux in magnetic core according to special relativity

In summary: I appreciate this isn't your specific expertise.In summary, the video does not explain how magnets work. Classical physics and Maxwell's equations adequately describe how current flow and the generation of an electric and magnetic fields. There is no need for special relativity or quantum mechanics when dealing with magnets.
tim9000
Hi,
So say you have a magnetic flux in a closed magnetic path circuit (like a TX core). Well I mean we draw arrows and stuff to indicate how the magnetic flux travels, but after watching this:

I'm having trouble understanding why there is any flux moving through at all.
Can someone please help me to rectify these two non-mutually exclusive concepts?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I have seen that video before some time ago...
I 'always' knew pernanent magnets were due to electron spin (magnetic moments and grain alignment of domains), but: Oooh, so, and this is really irritating, but you're saying that it's really just current in a wire that is described by Special Relativity, (this model is of very limited use). But electro-magnts with a core or permanent magnets must be treated quantum mechanically.
And special relativity and quantum mechanics don't seem to mix, which is where the frustration comes in.

in other words is is not very helpful to think of Special Releativity when dealing with magnetism?Thanks for the reply.

tim9000 said:
but you're saying that it's really just current in a wire that is described by Special Relativity, (this model is of very limited use). But electro-magnts with a core or permanent magnets must be treated quantum mechanically.
And special relativity and quantum mechanics don't seem to mix, which is where the frustration comes in.

in other words is is not very helpful to think of Special Releativity when dealing with magnetism?

You don't need SR or QM to describe current flow in a wire nor the generation of an electric and magnetic fields
Classical physics and Maxwell's equations describe things adequatelyDave

It's not that you can't think of SR when dealing with magnetism, SR provides us with a very good explanation of why moving charges produce magnetic fields. My understanding is that that fundamental particles like the electron simply have an intrinsic magnetic field. Unfortunately I don't know enough to explain any more.

davenn said:
You don't need SR or QM to describe current flow in a wire nor the generation of an electric and magnetic fields
Classical physics and Maxwell's equations describe things adequately
I am a huge fan of Maxwell, but I'm not really thinking about practical application, more curiosity about the universe (I'm just getting interested in The Standard Model)

Drakkith said:
It's not that you can't think of SR when dealing with magnetism, SR provides us with a very good explanation of why moving charges produce magnetic fields. My understanding is that that fundamental particles like the electron simply have an intrinsic magnetic field. Unfortunately I don't know enough to explain any more.
Yeah that's fine, I just don't like how it seems like there are two different things that don't mix, explaining the same phenomenon: moving charges -> magnets
quantum magnetic spin -> magnets
Like it seems hard for me to accept from the video that 'this is how magnets work, but there are other ways to do it as well, that have nothing to do with this'. There must be some connection.
I'll only accept it if I have to, if this is the current limit of our knowledge.Thanks

I think you can model the magnetic field from an electron as being generated from a small loop of current, but I really don't know any details about it.

Drakkith said:
I think you can model the magnetic field from an electron as being generated from a small loop of current, but I really don't know any details about it.
I appreciate this isn't your specific expertise.
I was wondering if you were directly above the centre of a tiny tiny internal current loop, even at a fair distance in the material, if the circumferene/path would look contracted enough to explain the effect...just a thought

Also, I suppose what the issue I have with the aforementioned video is, is that it kind of implies that the a magnetic field is just an electric field, in which case the 'electromagnetic field' which permeates the universe would really just be a 'charge field' (positive and negative, like an electric field rather than electromagentic)...

1. What is the concept of flux in magnetic core according to special relativity?

The concept of flux in magnetic core according to special relativity is based on the idea that a magnetic field is not static, but rather is constantly changing and moving. As an object moves through a magnetic field, it experiences a changing magnetic flux, which is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area at a given time.

2. How does special relativity affect the calculation of flux in a magnetic core?

Special relativity introduces the concept of time dilation, which means that time appears to pass more slowly for a moving object compared to a stationary observer. This means that the calculation of flux in a magnetic core must take into account the relative motion of the object and the observer in order to accurately measure the changing magnetic field.

3. What is the equation for calculating flux in a magnetic core according to special relativity?

The equation for calculating flux in a magnetic core according to special relativity is given by: Φ = B∙A∙(1 - v²/c²), where Φ is the magnetic flux, B is the magnetic field, A is the area, v is the relative velocity between the object and the observer, and c is the speed of light.

4. How does flux in a magnetic core according to special relativity differ from traditional flux calculations?

The main difference between flux in a magnetic core according to special relativity and traditional flux calculations is the inclusion of the velocity term (v) in the equation. Special relativity takes into account the relative motion between the object and the observer, whereas traditional flux calculations assume a stationary magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding flux in magnetic core according to special relativity?

Understanding flux in magnetic core according to special relativity has many practical applications in areas such as electrical engineering, particle physics, and astrophysics. It is used in the design of electromagnets, particle accelerators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the behavior of cosmic rays and other high-energy particles in space.